Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I have a variety of materials and weights, and to be honest I don't have a preference, nor find much difference. I guess I am just wierd that way.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Man, I can’t stand any kind of wool. You guys are weird.
    the heavier stuff is itchy as hell for some people
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the heavier stuff is itchy as hell for some people
    IMO the best and least itchy base layers in the business right now are from Le Bent. They use a Rayon-Merino-Elastane blend that's amazingly comfortable. Socks are amazing, too.

Brynje poly mesh, join the future, look sexy at the après

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Brynje poly mesh, join the future, look sexy at the après
    wow, never heard this brand.
    However everything looks too warm for Italy where I am

I’m happy with my mons royale leggings since they are so comfortable. Minus 33 has good shirts and sales

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    So at the end I think I'll try and am now thorn between these two which seem similar in therms of construction

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...ariationId=960

https://www.ortovox.com/it-en/shop/m...ion-zip-neck-m

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums
    Try this:
    https://point6.com/collections/mens-...13641091940436
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Got some point6 goods, arrived last night. Great quality, great feel, love the colors. Fit is also right on, large tops,medium bottoms on my 6’1” 180 pound with long arms build

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I have an Icebreaker long sleeve 150 that is at least a decade old (when all their stuff was 100% wool and they didn't have a catalogue of 100's (1000's?) of sku's) and was worn 4 days a week, every week, for at least half of those 10 years, as my bike commute shirt. It got washed once a week and hung dried. It has a couple holes in it near the sleeve ends from wear and one on a shoulder from a thorn. Otherwise it might be about a 100 weight by now, but it's in shockingly great shape considering how much wear it has seen. I have a few newer Icebreakers and they wear out very, very fast. If you get the ones with about 4% lycra they last way longer.

So per some of the above info, I'd go with NOT the most mainstream brand for wool. There are huge differences in quality and that old Icebreaker clearly shows how long it can last when done well.

Def some good things about synthetic over wool (ie to me, synthetic wicks better/does not hold as much sweat), but wool every time for me just because no micro plastics into Earth's waters every time you wash it. I'm just trying to consider mother earth more these days is all, even if it's probably too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well its all gona get holes so I got past that years ago, so wear the thin base layer and cover it if one cares

And that hole in the very back/ middle ... they will only see when I'm gone
    That hole in the back - it took me a while but I realized when I take off my shirts that’s where my thumb goes to pull the shirt over my melon.

Wife says take shirt off like a woman, I asked for multiple demonstrations, etc.

Something like this:

https://tenor.com/view/shirtless-bil...on-gif-3468912

I dont do that ^^ still got the hole

That link is something I can't unsee

Total convert to merino for pretty much anything I do outside (bc and resort skiing, rock and ice climbing, running, cycling, Drysuit scuba diving…) but only for base layers. I get the thinnest I can possibly find. Never above 200 weight. Ideally 100-150. On top of that I go synthetic or down based on conditions. For me, the advantages of merino fade as you go thicker or get off of the skin. Thicker layers weigh more, dry slower, cost more. If you need more insulation, throw a synthetic over your 100wt base layer rather than getting a 250+ weight merino…see also aforementioned durability concerns.

A light weight long sleeve merino zip neck + Houdini type wind shirt has an insane temperature range for the weight (if not the most durable combo).

"Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

^hmmmm…. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    Total convert to merino for pretty much anything I do outside (bc and resort skiing, rock and ice climbing, running, cycling, Drysuit scuba diving…) but only for base layers. I get the thinnest I can possibly find. Never above 200 weight. Ideally 100-150. On top of that I go synthetic or down based on conditions. For me, the advantages of merino fade as you go thicker or get off of the skin. Thicker layers weigh more, dry slower, cost more. If you need more insulation, throw a synthetic over your 100wt base layer rather than getting a 250+ weight merino…see also aforementioned durability concerns.

A light weight long sleeve merino zip neck + Houdini type wind shirt has an insane temperature range for the weight (if not the most durable combo).
    this ^^ all you need the merino for is the baselayer next to the skin so the other layers don't stink

I switched from wool to synthetic because it was cheaper 🤷
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Merino FTW. I run hot AF though with the corresponding stink. 150-200 weight. Use em for MTB (park and trail), hike, backpack, old man mountaineering, and all things skiing. Pack an extra T for the transition if temps won’t auto-dry. Shit falls apart over the years after heavy use, but IMO that just makes it more breathable.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    I switched from wool to synthetic because it was cheaper 路
    Occasionally you can get cheap wool/poly blends - at least one of the megamarts sold them for the same price (beer difference) as their synthetic offering - but the main difference is durability especially for the thin base layer stuff. Wool < wool blend < poly in durability. Reverse that for stink

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I got a sample top from Brynje a few years ago. Wore it touring a few times, works fine, but it's just too fucking ridiculous to wear as a not-joke.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Occasionally you can get cheap wool/poly blends - at least one of the megamarts sold them for the same price (beer difference) as their synthetic offering - but the main difference is durability especially for the thin base layer stuff. Wool < wool blend < poly in durability. Reverse that for stink
    Yeah, I'd just rather have 10 sets of synthetic base layers for the cost of 2 sets of merino. However wool ski socks a must for me.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool