RIP Bill Russell

A giant. In every way. Transcended sports.
    https://twitter.com/RealBillRussell/...90050839588865
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Rest easy big man.
    Should be in every NBA GOAT conversation

Oh man, that's too bad. Pretty recently I was remarking how good he still seemed. His grave should say "Winner" in big block letters.

class act
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

RIP

Best big man EVER! RIP
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Actually knew the man. RIP Bill
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

The Ultimate Champion !
    Man with Class -

I have only Great Respect !

peace, Bill Russell.
    With love.

tj

A Great man, so much more than a basketball player. Rest softly

Celtics! Travel well Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Don’t leave us hanging. There’s more to that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Don’t leave us hanging. There’s more to that story.
    Not as exciting as it might seem. The man lived in Seattle. We traveled in the same circles.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    He'd be top of my list for public figures I'd like to get to know. Loved his cackling laugh. Great player, great man. RIP.

One of the best.

Great as he was, he couldn't rescue the Kings as a coach.
    I watched Russell vs Chamberlain on TV a couple of times. I think Russell usually got the better of those matchups, or maybe I remember what I want to remember.

the nba is about Talent -
    no coach has won without talented players.
    If a thirty year old Bill Russell could have been a player coach, it might have helped ( oh, he did that in Boston ) ;

regarding Wilt, it was reported last night that Russell would let Wilt score - after the game was decided -
    Wilt would have stats., and Russell would have victories.
    They were Very different people - and different players.

Eleven Championships.

The End. skiJ

from the twitters

From the great Bob Ryan on Bill Russell: “In his final 14 years as a basketball player, Bill Russell’s team participated in 21 winner-take-all contests (nine NCAA tournament games, one Olympic gold medal game, 10 Game 7s, one deciding Game 5), and Bill Russell’s team won all 21.”
    amazeballs. greatest. winner. ever.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Such a good dude in so many ways.

My freshman year of college we had a parents weekend. Five us who were quick friends decided we should all go out to eat one night with our families to meet each others parents. One buddy said his parents weren't able to attend but that his granddad would be there and that he made reservations for us at an Italian place.

Turns out my buddy was Bill Russels grandson and literally none of us knew it until he walked through the doors of La Scarola and fucking sat down with us. I'll never forget the look on all the fathers' faces around the table. Then proceeded to just be the warmest, nicest, interested-in-everyone-he-met dude around.

One of the bests.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    the nba is about Talent -
    no coach has won without talented players.
    If a thirty year old Bill Russell could have been a player coach, it might have helped ( oh, he did that in Boston ) ;

regarding Wilt, it was reported last night that Russell would let Wilt score - after the game was decided -
    Wilt would have stats., and Russell would have victories.
    They were Very different people - and different players.

Eleven Championships.

The End. skiJ
    The Kings have had plenty of great players--that is, players who became great after the Kings traded them. And once in a while a player who became great and THEN the Kings traded them. And the occasional player who used to be great until the Kings got them.

There is an interesting article on NBC Sports ( on-line ) about Russell's time with Sacramento -

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/ki...eneral-manager

the only player I recognize that played on a championship team is Kenny Smith with the Hakeem Rockets during Mike's baseball career -

but anyone is welcome to think the 1987 Sacramento Kings were a championship roster.
    1987 ,,, Maybe Magic's Showtime.

peace, Bill Russell !

skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 08-01-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Such a good dude in so many ways.

My freshman year of college we had a parents weekend. Five us who were quick friends decided we should all go out to eat one night with our families to meet each others parents. One buddy said his parents weren't able to attend but that his granddad would be there and that he made reservations for us at an Italian place.

Turns out my buddy was Bill Russels grandson and literally none of us knew it until he walked through the doors of La Scarola and fucking sat down with us. I'll never forget the look on all the fathers' faces around the table. Then proceeded to just be the warmest, nicest, interested-in-everyone-he-met dude around.

One of the bests.
    Thats just rad at every level

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Thats just rad at every level
    It was a complete mindfuck. I grew up in the midwest country and 4 weeks into college in Chicago was eating dinner at a Chicago institution with a legend.

Plus his grandson was and is rad. He's throwing down tons of classic alpine routes in the Cascades these days and making me really want to get up there for some volcano adventures.

RIP Legend

I'm so old, I actually saw the GOAT play a game. In Baltimore in 1968 or 1969 against Wes Unseld and the Baltimore Bullets.

So much more than a basketball player...a great man.

NBA announces that Russell's #6 will be retired league-wide (though current players wearing #6 can continue to do so).

Highest honor a player can achieve. I think only Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky are there among the major US sports. Well deserved.