Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Back on topic... Every time I see the footage of the plane missing one wheel touching down gently and sliding in to the grass I circle back to .. there's no way the pilot was injured badly enough in that event to require a trip to the hospital. @Ted Striker, what are your thoughts here?

Then they disclose that the wheel and part of the fuselage was damaged in an aborted landing attempt in Raeford (a few miles outside of Raleigh). Some shit went down there.. shit that probably has all the answers to why the o pilot bailed.. wasn't in a stable frame of mind after whatever happened in Raeford..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    Weird thread highjack.

Getting your shots in because Canada recently banned the scary looking guns?
    hey i didnt start the "if only there was something we could do " thread in any case there is something to

encourage here, stealing planes in which to commit suicide
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-03-2022 at 01:37 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    If only the dude had Aquasealed himself to the plane he wouldn't have fallen out.
    Or he could have knocked up a Canadian waitress and his problems would magically disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Back on topic... Every time I see the footage of the plane missing one wheel touching down gently and sliding in to the grass I circle back to .. there's no way the pilot was injured badly enough in that event to require a trip to the hospital.
    Once the wing touched the grass it probably got a little rough for 10-15 seconds. Possibly a few bumps or scrapes.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Yeah I just came back here to link that article, it's worthwhile. I had not heard of Beebo until today. RIP.
    iceman had

Thanks for the insights @Ted

I like to use the links to that DIY air show suicide story video when Crumb Snot tries to say the 911 terrorists wouldn't have been able to fly those jets well enough to hit the targets without more training..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Probably so. Lotta respect for that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Yeah, I respect it in a weird way. Dude was unstable and decided he didn’t want to live anymore. Instead of going the “traditional” route of donning tactical gear and blowing away a bunch of kindergartners or concertgoers, he did some cool ass shit and fulfilled a dream, raising conversations on mental health and brining to light gross security oversights on the parts of airlines and airports in the process.
    Strange thing to double down on.

Here's a what I said at the time (edited for brevity and emphasis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    As for old Rich... I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, I really do feel bad for people who are in pain, and can't see any other way out. And I'm bothered by the fact that we can't get our collective shit together to help both the mentally and physically ill.

But on the other hand ... Fuck that guy. Rich was a stupid self-absorbed asshole. KSEA is literally surrounded by houses, apartments, hotels, and offices. If it turned out that he wasn't able to control the thing, he would've taken a whole city block out with him (thousands of pounds of fuel). As it is, he flew over hundreds of people, risking their lives with his idiotic narcissism, while glibly rebuffing the help of a professional air traffic controller who went home that night being the last person to talk to him alive.

airport + crash site
    Attachment 243984

The guy that jumped out landed in his families back yard and they heard the thud?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I like to use the links to that DIY air show suicide story video when Crumb Snot tries to say the 911 terrorists wouldn't have been able to fly those jets well enough to hit the targets without more training..
    I've routinely landed the 757 on 150' wide runways. The towers were over 200' wide.

The one time I was in the cockpit of an airplane it was easy enough, with my son briefly telling me what to do, to point it in the direction at the altitude I wanted it to fly at. Although maybe a single engine prop plane is a little less complicated that a large commercial airliner. (OTOH because my legs are so long I had the seat so low to make room for my knees that I couldn't see very well. I suppose that wouldn't be an issue in a 747.)

Nowadays can't you just say "Siri, fly me into the world trade center", and Siri does the rest?

Oh shit. But reading the Top Gun tangent that thing went off on it's no wonder it got forgotten.

^^^ proof birds* are smarter than people

*because they aren't real.

Blanco lirio, aka Juan Browne on Youtube, pilot and reporter, thinks it's most likely the copilot fell out by mistake while leaning out the back ramp, checking the wheel damage.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Blanco lirio, aka Juan Browne on Youtube, pilot and reporter, thinks it's most likely the copilot fell out by mistake while leaning out the back ramp, checking the wheel damage.
    That’s the logical explanation, although the pilot did say he jumped. He used that word when he reported it on the radio when it happened. Maybe he just used the wrong word, or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    That’s the logical explanation, although the pilot did say he jumped. He used that word when he reported it on the radio when it happened. Maybe he just used the wrong word, or maybe not.
    I wonder if he thought the guy took the last chute and was pissed about it? His perspective in the moment might have changed by now. Pretty weird time to decide to end it all.

I've routinely landed the 757 on 150' wide runways. The towers were over 200' wide.
    Yeah but have you ever landed one on the pitching deck of an aircraft carrier?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yeah but have you ever landed one on the pitching deck of an aircraft carrier?
    Was lucky to do this a bunch of times in a F/A-18. Flying during the day around the boat is the most amazing thing in the world.....flying at night at the carrier is absolutely horrifying. Darkest of dark you can ever imagine. Lots of pitching deck in the Pacific and Indian, usually not so much in the Atlantic. Would land at night, say midnight....Usually wouldn't be able to fall asleep till 3-4 AM due to my nerves having to calm.

There is this saying with Naval Carrier Aviation - "We own the night." My buddy always said "We can give it back."

Quote Originally Posted by AmmergauerTele View Post
    Was lucky to do this a bunch of times in a F/A-18. Flying during the day around the boat is the most amazing thing in the world.....flying at night at the carrier is absolutely horrifying. Darkest of dark you can ever imagine. Lots of pitching deck in the Pacific and Indian, usually not so much in the Atlantic. Would land at night, say midnight....Usually wouldn't be able to fall asleep till 3-4 AM due to my nerves having to calm.

There is this saying with Naval Carrier Aviation - "We own the night." My buddy always said "We can give it back."
    Mad props to you on that. Crazy stuff.
    My cousin flew F4 recon planes a couple hundred ft above the trees along the N Korean border and said he'd never ever want to land a plane on a carrier.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah, that's hardcore. Props.

been said before, this place amazes me on the different skill sets brought to life on our little corner of the web.

Mysterious death of co-pilot who fell or jumped out of plane before emergency landing

Does anyone get mad if you eject and scuttle the plane instead of attempting the insane task of landing a fucking jet on a moving football field? They’ll still come get you with the dinghy right? I hear pilot rescue crews are the best in the biz. Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I've got students who'd argue that's a very small and unfair lateral distance, but they're not as committed.

That's fucking insane. But because this is TGR and all, I've gotta ask: were you up front or were you the WSO? Either way, bigger balls than I'll ever grow so it's sorta immaterial.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

I landed on a carrier deck on the flight simulator* in the DC Air and Space Museum. It wasn't that hard. I don't see what's so scary about it.

*Not a real flight simulator either. More like a video game for 7 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I landed on a carrier deck on the flight simulator* in the DC Air and Space Museum. It wasn't that hard. I don't see what's so scary about it.

*Not a real flight simulator either. More like a video game for 7 year olds.
    Aren't most of us 7 year olds at heart?
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Was up front, flew the single seat version F/A-18C then E.

Crazy thing about the carrier….,we’ve been doing it for years and it takes thousands of people all working together to make it work. Crushing atoms for power, making steam, navigation, food, bombs, fixing planes. Getting replenished from supply ship. By training hard, adhering to rules, etc…made the difficult look routine. We are still the only nation that can launch 75+ strike sorties a day off a ship, and continue to do it day in and day out. Lucky to be a part of….