Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

School me on outdoor metal paint for ski chair swing.

I picked up an old Soli. Summit chair that I would like to re-finish and turn into a ski chair swing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5853653-2C14-4179-BAC5-11F5CE6E0552.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	422728

So far, I have taken it apart and stripped off the old paint.

Name:	IMG_2594.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	422729

Name:	IMG_2595.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	422730

I don't know much about paint, and know next to nothing about exterior steel paint. My thought is to go with a midnight blue urethane base coat with a clear coat. This is paint usually used in automotive applications. There is also talk about a Urethane reducer which I don't fully understand (It is a thinner to reduce the thickness of the paint, so that it will pass thru the stray gun nozzle?
    I have no idea how much paint/clear coat/reducer that I need, whether I need to mix the base coat with reducer, or whether this is even the way to go. There may be spray can alternatives that will look just as good and last just as long?

After painting the pole and chair, I plan to use teak slats for the seat and leave the back rails painted metal.

Any thoughts will be helpful
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Might powdercoating be in order? Not familiar with chairlifts, but that's what folks do with skateboard trucks and other high impact metal things to better armor them against chipping
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

From my experience with powdercoated stuff on Jeeps / trucks, it doesn't hold up at all. It tends to chip, then rust starts underneath and spreads. It's pretty looking when new, but I wouldn't use it on anything being left outside.

I've had good luck with oil based paints, like Rustoleum enamel. Takes a few days to fully dry but then it's pretty hard. Rustoleum "professional" spray can paint is similar, and I've used that on metal yard furniture - it holds up really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Shoulda left the original paint...

I definitely think that I will need to prime it with Rustoleum.

Regardless of color, the chair/bar are in desperate need of new paint. I like blue
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Epoxy primer from auto body shop then single stage urethane

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

X2

Clean the entire surface very thoroughly with acetone and then use a self etching metal primer and your choice of paint. I'd skip the clear in order to make touch ups easier since it's gonna live outside. Prep is key tho.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Kev's nailed it

X2

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

Take it to a body shop sounds like solid advice.. Just that car's aren't made for sitting on all the time, abrasion, etc. Can't think of anything better though if powder coating doesn't hold up to the elements.. Also temp extremes, metal expanding and contracting outdoors is something to consider.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Acetone does not work on the paint at all. I did use Savogran Superstrip, which was OK, but the grinder with a 50 grit wheel works best. The nooks and crannies are difficult.

I'm w/ chup on powder coat. I've come to the conclusion powder coat just isn't all that durable.
    I just painted a house w/ aliphatic urethane(2cimpnent nasty ass shit). Suktass big-time. Without a sprayer you're left w/ brush/roll, spray cans(Kev's right- go to auto body supply and get the shit in aerosol cans- metal etch, epoxy prime, urethane), paint shop or powder coat.

The acetone is after all the old paint is off. It's to make sure that the bare metal has no oils or debris immediately before you apply the primer.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Cool. This means that the quart I bought won’t go to waste

yer gonna need a few coats to cover them grinder marks.

I've always had good luck using Rustoleum, but have been Using Tractor and Implement paint when I can. It resists chipping and I think it holds up to UV exposure a bit better. I haven't had to repaint mine but will use tractor paint when I do.

Name:	chairlift racoon.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	422756

Acetone evaporates very quickly. Wax and grease remover is a much better product for this

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

This is a good plan. Epoxy primer is some durable shit.

Rust Never Sleeps
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Shoulda left the original paint...
    If that's truly a Summit chair, it was never that color while operational

^^^ True Dat. I bought the chair from a maggot who lives in B-RIGHT-ON. who purchased it when the lift was replaced and then must have painted it. To obtain the precise history, the maggot needs to chime in.

Also, I will fabricate something like this to create the mount:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 6.57.15 AM.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	422768

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Acetone evaporates very quickly. Wax and grease remover is a much better product for this
    Coincidentally, Wax and grease remover also works very well as a ski base cleaner

Schindler, have you considered just asking the auto shop to take all the parts and do all the work for you?

I have, but I am in need of a project. Besides, auto body shops tend to be expensive. If I wanted a ski chair swing, had the $$ and didn't want to do it myself, I could have just bought one for about $2K.
    ...That's not me. I'm trying to get it done for about $500-600 total.