Roof rack: cargo basket between bike trays?

I can’t find info or photos about this anywhere. It’s like nobody actually carries gear anywhere.

Regardless:

Here’s the deal. New vehicle. It’ll have Thule 53” aero crossbars. I have a 2 bike hitch mount carrier, but we will need to carry two more at times. They go in Rocky Mounts trays on each side of the load bars. We really need a bit more cargo space for long 4 person bike trips so I want to put a basket in the middle. Like a Thule Canyon XT or something.

Has anyone done this? How much space do I need between the trays and the basket for the bikes to fit on? I think I’ll have about 47” between the trays. I’m thinking a 42” basket will work - they are only 5” high and as long as the fork fits in I should be good right?

Again, I refuse to believe this is some unique setup. No idea why I can’t find photos of it anywhere.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I've definitely seen this setup. I would think two trays and a rocket box in the middle would actually give more storage volume with a narrower footprint?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I've definitely seen this setup. I would think two trays and a rocket box in the middle would actually give more storage volume with a narrower footprint?
    Yup. And you may have an easier setup to use by running the bike racks on one side facing opposite ways, and the box on the other side. Most boxes open from the side.

Can't decide how I feel about the rocket boxes. Would be more useful during shoulder seasons when the ski racks aren't up there yet - you can just shove the skis in the box. On the other hand it doesn't work as well for awkward items and dirty stuff would muck up the box. But the box is waterproof which is nice. But the basket is easier to just leave up most of the summer, and you can add more bike racks to it if need be.

Mostly, since it's my wife's car, I think she likes the basket better so I might be stuck with that.

Why not just get a 4 bike hitch rack? Then you can put as much shit on the roof as you want.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Anything in a cargo basket will get plastered with bugs and/or get soaked unless everything is in dry bags.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Why not just get a 4 bike hitch rack? Then you can put as much shit on the roof as you want.
    Cause I can barely get my lovely wife to use the 2 bike Kuat that we have. The bikes on the top are really overflow bikes anyway. Most of the time it's just two.

In summer 2 bikes on the back, basket or box for extra crap on top (likey basket) in the middle, 2 bikes trays on the top outsides for 4 person camping/bike trips.

In winter, 2 ski racks on top fills up the crossbars, hitch mount cargo basket on back for stuff like the cooler, poles, etc.

We've been using this exact setup on another vehicle we have and it's working well. The only thing we don't have is the cargo basket. We had a bigger car, but now that our kids are off to college, we decided on something smaller for everyday use. The trade off is that for the times when we need more storage, we just put the shit on the car instead of in it.

We could also carry less shit, but I'm told that isn't an option.

If it all fits it should be just fine.

The only think to think about is your total weight on the system. Your car/truck should have a maximum payload you won't want to exceed. So if you are planning on throwing two DH bikes and a bunch of heavy stuff in the basket you might run into issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    If it all fits it should be just fine.
    I think I'm going to have about 4.5" inches between the centerline of the bike trays and the edge of the basket. My widest front shock is 8" - so 4" from centerline. I think it's gonna be super tight but I'm probably gonna give it a shot.

Look at the cargo baskets that alow for mounting stuff on top of them - where the east/west rails of the basket are essentially raised crossbars.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Look at the cargo baskets that alow for mounting stuff on top of them - where the east/west rails of the basket are essentially raised crossbars.
    This is what I was going to reply.
    You get much more storage, just shorter under the trays.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    This is what I was going to reply.
    You get much more storage, just shorter under the trays.
    That's a possibility. Good point. It just raises the bikes up another 10 inches, which is tough for my 5'-2" lovey wife. It's already a tall vehicle.

I had a 5th gen Outback that I put two bike racks and a cargo box on. My 30 seconds of googling didn't turn up the dimensions of the crossbars but I did have to take the inside pedal off both bikes to get everything to play nice. Even then it was a squeeze and bikes definitely had to come off to access the box. I only ever used that set up for moves or packing up for multiweek trips. And I screwed myself at least once showing up to a trailhead with only one pedal.

All that said, I'm sold on boxes vs. open cargo racks. Weatherproof, secure at trailheads and parking lots and your shit won't get covered in bug splatter.

Get a long box, you won't go back to a basket or ski racks.

I have a sport rack horizon alpine. Made by Thule but cheaper attachment mechanism (which I tossed and converted to t track bolts anyways because I want a sleek install ). It is a long narrow ski-focused box, but it is decently tall so it works well for other gear unlike the Thule pulse alpine which is only like 10” tall.

on my GTI which has narrow flush bars that don’t stick out from the towers I can fit the box and 1 rocky mounts tray and still be able to open the box with the bike on as long as the pedals are turned right. Probably could fit one on either side but then you’d have to pull both bikes to open the box.

with the wider crossbars on my wife’s car, I think you could easily have the box be able to clear the bikes without removing either (but limited to what you can reach through the frame of the bike.

If you go basket, I make these from time to time.

http://rerax.net
    John

www.ReRax.net/index.html ... The Smarter way to carry gear!

Quote Originally Posted by JET123 View Post
    If you go basket, I make these from time to time.

http://rerax.net
    Ok, that is cool as SHIT.

What about the Yakima exo system, which would get the cargo off the roof and onto the bike hitch?

https://yakima.com/pages/exo-all-tog...hoC8KsQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    What about the Yakima exo system, which would get the cargo off the roof and onto the bike hitch?

https://yakima.com/pages/exo-all-tog...hoC8KsQAvD_BwE
    I have a trailer mount cargo basket and bike rack that I can use too.

But I’m summer for big bike trips: two bike on trailer hitch, two on top, then overflow in basket on top.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Ok, that is cool as SHIT.
    Too kind! They can be disassembled and shipped (with tools to rebuild on your end)... guessing around $50-$60. Or if you are coming through Northern Colorado, I can install and send you on your way.

Good luck in your search!
    John

www.ReRax.net/index.html ... The Smarter way to carry gear!

Box, not basket. The end.

As for outback factory racks…bullshit! Subaru needs to end that fkdup design. Get the yak rack mounts that actually work for getting a decent amount of bar width (even if they are annoyingly high).

But seriously: box not cargo rack - no question. Fitting shit in the box can be tricky, but the cargo basket is surely way worse on a number of levels.