Internal (3 speed) hubs.

I realize this could go into ask the experts, but not looking for a single answer here.

Looking into building a low maintenance CX bike. Originally was going to go SS, but the thought of a 3 speed internal hub crossed my mind.

Assuming I keep it dialed, anyone have any thoughts about using a 3 speed hub for CX riding? I can put out a decent amount of power and weigh about 80 kg. Will I destroy an internal hub? The internet consensus is: don't get one and start sprinting around in the forest.

Anyone have first hand experience? Should I stick with a single speed?

You will destroy a 3 speed internal hub.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

13 years ago, I bought a 29er hardtail single speed. I didn't grow a mustache, but still felt pretty cool.

A few years later I had a kid. Pulling the chariot with a kid with the single speed made me stronger. Then I had another kid. I built up a new rear will around a Sturmey 3-speed hub. This made pulling the chariot uphill with two kids manageable, it also made the bike a lot more useful on trails. I never rode super hard on it but I did kept the 3 speed hub on for ~10 years until realizing I no longer needed it to pull the kids around. The bike is cooler as a single speed around town bike than it was as a trail bike but the Sturmey held up better than all my bike expert buddies said it would. No saying how it would hold up if I rode it like I ride my full suspension bike.

The Alfine 8 spd has a lot of mtb fans and a reasonably robust reputation. It’s what, $190? Not sure.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Reason for the 3 speed is mainly:
    serviceability
    weight

also, honestly just don't need a ton of gears. Bike will live in a pretty flat area of the world (where I do not).

I blew those up delivering news papers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

After going down the rabbit hole, it seems like tried and true chain single speed (not belt) is going to be the way to go, unless I want to dish out $$$ or rohloff.

I went belt w/ my SS 29”. Love it. 1 belt for 7 or so years.
    Why no belt?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

They already have 8 spd E-bike motor/ internal gear box/ belt driven setups ... no chain or der

My buddy went thru 2 of those internal hub gear boxes on the way to Tiera del fuego and finally switched to a der in Buenos Aires on the way back. He had to send away the hub and hang out waiting for the factory to send it back, while in comparison swapping to the DER was just readily available bike parts,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I went belt w/ my SS 29”. Love it. 1 belt for 7 or so years.
    Why no belt?
    It seems like you need recommended tension if you're going to hammer on it to prevent chain slip, though some run as sligghhttllyy lower tension so there's less drag in the system (obviously more casual riding). Can also only go with 1 system (Veer), since I've already decided on my frame and not in the mood to have it modified. Maybe down the road, but I'll probably buy the bike complete, so might as well trash the drivetrain first.