Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11?

Windows 11?

My computer keeps harping on me to upgrade to Windows 11 every time I reboot. Who here has made the switch? Is it worth it or should I stick with the tried and true Windows 10?

Well, it does go to 11, do there's that.

So you're saying it's one better?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So you're saying it's one better?
    Don't even look at it.

it's fine. I run it at work. Only real difference that could maybe throw someone off is when you right click it shows pics instead of words and the start menu is hard to get to the programs. I never use start menu anywho and launch all programs by typing

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Don't even look at it.
    Can't you just make 10 louder?

But, this one goes to eleven.

I like it. I just pin a few of the most used apps to the task bar

Personally, I've held off and stuck with good old Windows 10. It's been reliable and comfortable for my workflow.From what I've gathered, opinions on the switch are all over the map. Some folks are loving the new features and sleek design, while others have hit a few bumps in the road. It really depends on what you prioritize in your system.If you're on the fence, I'd suggest giving it some time. Updates and patches might smooth out any initial hiccups. In the meantime, you can try this Windows 10 pro product key Reddit sub. They're a treasure trove of tips and workarounds for optimizing Windows 10, and they might have some insights about transitioning to 11 as well!
    Last edited by KariSisi; 10-23-2023 at 05:57 AM.

seems like ALL Windows updates are really just trojan horse efforts to switch users to their Bing browser.. I never notice anything else that's significantly different than being asked REPEATEDLY to change to Bing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I’ve got one computer with it. The others aren’t powerful enough according to gates. Oh well.

All I notice are interface changes. And having to reprogram my brain.
    It seems very stable for a new rollout. I wouldn’t be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by KariSisi View Post
    Personally, I've held off and stuck with good old Windows 10. It's been reliable and comfortable for my workflow.From what I've gathered, opinions on the switch are all over the map. Some folks are loving the new features and sleek design, while others have hit a few bumps in the road. It really depends on what you prioritize in your system.If you're on the fence, I'd suggest giving it some time. Updates and patches might smooth out any initial hiccups. In the meantime, you can try this Windows 10 pro product key Reddit sub. They're a treasure trove of tips and workarounds for optimizing Windows 10, and they might have some insights about transitioning to 11 as well!

if you need a key, massgravel is your friend and stupid easy

My wife switching to Windows 11--not on purpose mind you--was the best thing that ever happened . . . . to me, because I can claim I don't know Windows 11 so I can't help her with her latest computer glitch. Which is also why I have an android phone when she has an iphone.

I’ve got to use Windows again for my new gig. Haven’t touched a Windows machine since 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I’ve got to use Windows again for my new gig. Haven’t touched a Windows machine since 2019.
    A whole bunch of people were very unhappy when they took away our RHEL 8 laptops and made us get windows ones. RHEL isn't my favorite , but it works.
    I was way overdue for a laptop refresh, but not like this.

I feel like I'm fighting Win11 a lot less than Win10.

“It’s one louder, isn’t it”

Can’t speak to it but Sonoma is pretty slick.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	473909

Except on the TGRz.

I have a tablet with Win 10 and Desktop is 11, I barely notice any difference.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

My wife, who had a 22 year career at Microsoft, has it on her desktop, the other five computers in the house are still Win 10. She says they basically just moved shit around to justify their salaries, but it works fine. We still use Chrome, BTW.

I'm ambivalent about "current" Windows versions. Just make sure to upgrade whatever you've got before EOL.

YMMV.

Yeah, I eventually moved to Win 11 and it certainly isn't a huge change. I'm still on Win 10 with my work computer and I hardly notice a difference.

I switched last week from 10 to 11.

I hate it.

It mucks up lightshot badly.
    Steam crashes 2x an hour now.
    It made my footer in outlook black and white but only mine and only on my machine because of the background.
    The bottom bar is in the middle, I liked the left better.
    Switching to a new system always sucks.

My old liquid cooled ASUS was making weird fan noises, was 12 years old and was dropping zoom calls or I would have never changed.

They moved stuff around, they push Bing on you and I have yet to find anything I like about it.

I'm waiting for Windows 42. Then I'll know the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Was gonna build a ricey gaming rig last summer with a 7800X3D/RX7800 on a NZXT board with a nice case and water cooling... $pendy

Decided I really wanted to cluster severs to make my own cloud/PaaS/IaaS/MaaS with used gear to lab it out before I went big. TPM 2.0 sent a lot of corporate workstations to the E-cyclers, and quiet milspec over-engineered upgradable boxes are cheap cheap.

So now for the same $$ I'm running 88 v4Xeon cores with a TB of ram and 48gb of gddr5 and about 80tb of zfs object storage across 3 cloud providers. Runs on 2 40g lans and serves up this Debian container, and the 3 Windows VMs I made from the 3 Windows 10 Pro product keys stored in the bios of the 3 HP workstations I bought for $100/ea and upgraded [4th box is a $35 SM mobo that didn't have a windows key in the boot block].

I've upgraded 2 of the licenses to W11 so far, and hope the already-hinted W12 will be better, though I don't mind W11's ui.