Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Developer mags? How can we gum up the works?

I live in Salt Lake City, and there is a large parcel behind my house with a fault line going through it. The owner is an asshole and has been trying to sell for 30 years. Developer after developer has passed on it, and now there is a guy who supposedly will be doing some drilling to determine fault line location. His plan is to begin building in 2 weeks (I doubt it... but...). Apparently the plan is to close on the lot, build a single family home. Past developers have looked at trying to get as many as 9 homes on the parcel, this guy has produced a drawing for 4, but the word is that he wants to just build one for now. I think it is a get the foot in the door and the sue for subdivision and entitlements.
    What are levers available to gum things up and make it as difficult as possible for this guy to get his permit? Permit is not issued as of yet to my knowledge. We have spoken with the city many times over the years and they understand the significant challenges of building on the lot, including steep natural grades and cliffs, active fault lines, lack of storm water drain easement, required private drive and road to any homes that will not be maintained by the city.

Looking for ideas that we can act on to gum things up and make it as difficult/expensive for the guy as possible. Does not help that the guy is a convicted rapist, and was recently arrested in Salt Lake for knowingly failing to register as a sex offender.
    sigless.

Any endagered reptiles, mammals, or birds live on the parcel?

Sacred Mormon burial sites?

Indian artifacts?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Any possibility to call it a wetland?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Is this just Grade A Nimbyism or is there a real reason the property should not be developed?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

^fuck nimbyism and all, but i wouldn’t want a rich, rapey, creep literally in my back yard either.

Write a quasihistoric religious text. Claim a white salamander led you to a place on that lot where you found golden plates you transcribed.

Instant historic site

To those asking why… have you lived next to a development being built? Not enjoyable.

Yeah, pretty much anything that will require a "study" should sufficiently gum up the works.

You never know what they'll unearth too.
    I still call it The Jake.

sprinkle arrow heads every where and have the area declared some kind of FN heritage site
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Well-placed turtles have killed projects here in MA

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    People wonder why we have a housing supply shortage.
    We're not short on houses, we have too many people.

Yeah, it is sort of grade a nimbyism. But, the irregular grade of the property incuding steep hills, natural drainage runs, and MASSSIVE amounts of grading work that would need to be done should concern every single homeowner around the proposal. This dude is gonna dig out a TON of dirt on a fault line below your house? You better be concerned...
    And yes, the plan we have heard from the guy, is that he plans to live in one of the homes. Convicted Rapist who was arrested in Feb for intentionally violating the sex offender notification requirements in SLC.
    And yes, it would be right behind my house.

Here is a link to the permit application...
    https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Original grade.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	422091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proposed grade.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	390.7 KB 
ID:	422092  
    Last edited by basinbeater; 07-25-2022 at 12:10 PM.
    sigless.

I would just ensure that proper geo surveys and risk assessments are done by qualified engineers. Beyond that is just being another asshole NIMBY.

Any chance the Pueblo lived in some of the steep red areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Any chance the Pueblo lived in some of the steep red areas?
    We are looking into that. There are rumors....

As for the grading work and the fault line, there is real concern there. I've seen the land back there shift over the years, and our home sustained damage from the earthquake in SLC last year.
    And the dude is a convicted rapist who knowlingly tries to evade the sex offender registration and notification requirements, and a bunch of us in the area have little girls. Not cool
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post

As for the grading work and the fault line, there is real concern there. I've seen the land back there shift over the years, and our home sustained damage from the earthquake in SLC last year.
    And the dude is a convicted rapist who knowlingly tries to evade the sex offender registration and notification requirements, and a bunch of us in the area have little girls. Not cool
    Maybe look into fighting the frontage variance they are requesting?

Edit-

Here is how I’ve seen this done.

Have someone who knows or can learn the code and engineering standards on your team, typically a retired lawyer or engineer type with lots of time, unless you have money to hire your own experts.

Become deeply knowledgeable of the development and permitting process.

Challenge any variances. Not just to the local authority, but continue to challenge it as far as possible (state boards, etc).

Challenge any “assumptions” the engineer is using to justify their decisions. Debate definitions of terms, etc. Take a hard look at their slope stability calculations and assumptions.

If there is any sort of input from elected officials, wage a pressure campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^fuck nimbyism and all, but i wouldn’t want a rich, rapey, creep literally in my back yard either.
    So which is it?

Is he under any restrictions along the lines of "can't live within 1/4 mile of a school"? If so, maybe you can get together with the neighbors and open a day care / Montessori school etc.

Good one, beat me to it.

Didn’t Arrested Development cover this? New developments, sex offenders? Sudden Valley!

Do the Mormons have anything like this you can call upon?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p9627962_b_v8_an.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	422097

Maybe you can convince sAvE oUr fOoThIlLs to take on your cause.

this is literal NIMBYism. literally. Ugh.

that said, me and my cohorts always joke about sprinkling a few arrowheads around a site when the project starts to be a real PITA during design haha. thatll shut it down real quick when cultural artifacts get found.

Also, that grading plan looks expensive AF on first glance. thats a fuckton of money and engineering to sink into just building a single lot. I could give lots of advice here, but im not licensed in your state, and i aint getting paid.

Yes. Right now. They are infilling a large lot with ~8 houses. They followed code and development standards, not my business to make life hard on them.

People wonder why we have a housing supply shortage.
    This. A growing population needs somewhere to live.

Literal nimbyism indeed. Looks like the 4 lot plan was shut down by the city, just got off the phone with a planner.
    For the single family rapist home, he is referring to the slope study submitted for the 4 lot plan. I think we'll be contesting that.
    Having a registered sex offender as a next door neighbor drives down property values by an average of 12% according to one study in 2008.

Sex offenders have been proven to drive down property values. Houses next door to a registered sex offender dropped by up to 12%, according to a 2008 study by the American Economic Review.
    sigless.