Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    This is just such an upsetting attitude. Why is ok that someone built your house but the next guy can't build his?

This is why housing costs are through the roof and the next generation's finances are fucked.

Selfish entitlement should not be supported. Stop being a jerk. If you want to do the right thing start helping him to build as many units as possible, stop urban sprawl, and take responsibility for reducing our environmental footprint.

It's so ironic that we have both this thread and a thread complaining about rising housing costs near ski areas on the same board.
    Last edited by EWG; 07-21-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Literal nimbyism indeed. Looks like the 4 lot plan was shut down by the city, just got off the phone with a planner.
    For the single family rapist home, he is referring to the slope study submitted for the 4 lot plan. I think we'll be contesting that.
    Having a registered sex offender as a next door neighbor drives down property values by an average of 12% according to one study in 2008.

Sex offenders have been proven to drive down property values. Houses next door to a registered sex offender dropped by up to 12%, according to a 2008 study by the American Economic Review.
    Maybe it's best you don't encourage him to register.

IIRC Benny's bootfitter was a sex offender.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Also, that grading plan looks expensive AF on first glance. thats a fuckton of money and engineering to sink into just building a single lot.
    We had a guy do a single or double lot in our town. Impossibly steep. The amount of grading and concrete poured was obscene. As I understand it, he was in the business so that helped offset otherwise prohibitive costs. This was next to a friend's pad. He sold. But if I lived there I'd be concerned about drainage and how much instability it introduced.

The result is a sort of ugly, impractical (steep stairs for everything) 3 story stubby house surrounded by ghastly concrete and nicer, established houses who built on proper land 100 years ago. Did it reduce everyone's property value - I'd guess yes but there's no accounting for Texas taste; the insurgents will buy almost anything.

There's no way someone can make a legit case that much concrete is an environmentally sound footprint for just a few lots.

I think the guy still lives there, I'm uncertain about any past rapes or sex offences... I think he does have gauche truck and a tesla so anyone's bet.

I just sold a house in Denver two houses down from a sex offender and given what I made on the house I am quite certain that the sex offender had absolutely no impact on the value.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I just sold a house in Denver two houses down from a sex offender and given what I made on the house I am quite certain that the sex offender had absolutely no impact on the value.
    Was the property developer a sex offender though?

That seems to be the NIMBY "problem" here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    How do you know you couldn't have gotten 12% more?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Was the property developer a sex offender though?

That seems to be the NIMBY "problem" here.
    That, and i don't want a bunch of digging into sandy loose hillsides that are already slowly falling down on their own. Other homeowners above the property ought to be very concerned. Oops, we made this cut, and now the hill is eroding faster, and we build a cheap retaining wall, that barely meets earthquake specs...
    Would that worry you if you were adjacent? It should.
    For this very reason, the guy who has been trying to sell for 30 years has not succeeded in any development attempts, and there have been several.
    The convicted rapist part is icing on the cake. Don't want it. This is a built out section of the city. There are lots of proposed development plans that should not go forward, and when there is a buck to be made, people will keep trying whether they should or not. And it only takes once for it to get approved.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    This. A growing population needs somewhere to live.
    This is one of the swankiest 'hoods in SLC. This is not an affordable housing issue, Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Maybe you can convince sAvE oUr fOoThIlLs to take on your cause.
    Listen to this guy. If nothing else you'll get better advice than you will here.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    That, and i don't want a bunch of digging into sandy loose hillsides that are already slowly falling down on their own. Other homeowners above the property ought to be very concerned. Oops, we made this cut, and now the hill is eroding faster, and we build a cheap retaining wall, that barely meets earthquake specs...
    Would that worry you if you were adjacent? It should.
    For this very reason, the guy who has been trying to sell for 30 years has not succeeded in any development attempts, and there have been several.
    The convicted rapist part is icing on the cake. Don't want it. This is a built out section of the city. There are lots of proposed development plans that should not go forward, and when there is a buck to be made, people will keep trying whether they should or not. And it only takes once for it to get approved.
    If you really want to prevent future development you need to get your own seismic study in hand to protest any possible permits being issued. Maybe a sit down with your county/city engineer and have an honest conversation about the long term view of the parcel of land in the eyes of the municipality. Ultimately it comes down to the fact you don't own the land and at some point the value of it will be worth the cost to develop it unless you have legal objection in place to prevent permits being issued to build. The sex offender issues is a whole different deal.

agreed, we do have the benefit of my neigbor being a seimologist professor at the u of u.

Worst case scenario is multiple homes with large grading work and one home occupied by rapist criminal (latest arrest 2/2022)
    Less bad is single family home with rapist.
    Less bad is single family with no rapist.
    Looking at the latest plan with 1 home, is that he is situating it on one of the predrawn 5 lots, and given developers in Utah have a history of buying, trying to get entitlements, and suing (and winning) when they don't get their way (initially), we think he is setting himself up to do this.
    Latest conversation with a city planner is that the 5 home plan was rejected (not reflected in app process yet) and given that the applicant has opened multiple other permit requests, and the home on one of the predrawn lots, the planner doesn't think the developer is on the up and up and is being shady.

sigless.

Get a bunch of homeowners together and buy the parcel from him?

If a multi-million dollar home is stopped because of NIMBY-ism, where will the next generation of millionaires live? Clearly we need to make space for this poor development guy, it's very unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    This is just such an upsetting attitude. Why is ok that someone built your house but the next guy can't build his?

This is why housing costs are through the roof and the next generation's finances are fucked.

Selfish entitlement should not be supported. Stop being a jerk. If you want to do the right thing start helping him to build as many units as possible, stop urban sprawl, and take responsibility for reducing our environmental footprint.

It's so ironic that we have both this thread and a thread complaining about rising housing costs near ski areas on the same board.
    Stop being a jerk? I laft hard.

Sex offender. Nuff said. Fight this however you can.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    this is literal NIMBYism. literally. Ugh.

that said, me and my cohorts always joke about sprinkling a few arrowheads around a site when the project starts to be a real PITA during design haha. thatll shut it down real quick when cultural artifacts get found.

Also, that grading plan looks expensive AF on first glance. thats a fuckton of money and engineering to sink into just building a single lot. I could give lots of advice here, but im not licensed in your state, and i aint getting paid.
    I hope whoever chose that color scale and labeling died of spontaneous human combustion.

Srsly, was kinda lukewarm on BB's plans, until I scrolled to that drawing and my goddamn office sprinklers went off...

Now I'm like, 'This fucking pyro rapist freak is Trouble. If I was Mormon, I'd have to call my bishop about this shit.'

To OP: Find all the property corners on all his lots, and shrink his property by the same 12.71' all around his exterior perimeter. Why 12.71'? It's pseudo-random, yet conforms with Benford's law. Will drive surveyor and fiery color scale engineers nuts trying to figure out what happened and if they're getting blindsided by some conveyance they're not professionally aware of and hence liable for...

Another fun way to monkeywrench a land development is to come out at night and scratch out utility locates, so they'll have to call and likely pay again to get it re-marked with a surveyor right there to locate the locates...

You can also move survey points, just a little. Nevermind the tall lath marker with the flagging, you want to move the precise point in the ground next to it marked with a rebar or nail or flush peg with a tack in it, or something similar. You want to move them 6" or less, and make them look like they haven't moved. When the guys who set them come back and can't check in to their own work, it'll set up a chain of fear and recrimination and re-do that's hard to beat.

Illegal, sure. But not very. So make your first assault count before they get wise and set up any way to catch or deter you. Remember too, kids pull up lath all the time...

Last edited by highangle; 07-21-2022 at 03:56 PM.

This is so easy. You just need to convince the guy the land is haunted. I saw it on Scooby Doo like a hundred times.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    There's no way someone can make a legit case that much concrete is an environmentally sound footprint for just a few lots.
    Watch Me.

The flatter slopes produced by the tiered retaining wall system will allow for greater infiltration of rainwater into the soil allowing for aquifer recharge as opposed to the existing steep slopes which produced excessive runoff into the properties below, and erosion issues.

Ive been asked to make worse arguments before, like being asked to show that water flowed uphill....
    Last edited by californiagrown; 07-21-2022 at 04:53 PM.

Page 2 and no dogshit under car door handles?
    Psychological warfare, the classics never go out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Stop being a jerk? I laft hard.

Sex offender. Nuff said. Fight this however you can.

You know what's funny? If the neighbors would have allowed the 8 unit subdivision, the sex offender wouldn't be there.

I also very much enjoy the cognitive dissonance of someone saying that this "developer" is greedy while simultaneously complaining that they are losing 12% of their home value.

All that said, since I don't know the particulars of the project, I will bow out of the conversation. My comments are admitted more general than specific to this location or situation.

Maybe buy it from the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Maybe buy it from the guy?
    That is actually an extremely good idea.

Turn around and give it to the county for designated open space, take the deduction, move on with life.

.... dedicate it to homeless birds by erecting high density 50 floor bird houses.

Gotta growth problem?!?!? don't grow

What are they going to do with the natural drainage? Is that a regulated sensitive resource, like jurisdictional waters of the US?

It seems fair to request from the local municipality for an independent evaluation of the geotech/seismic analysis/report to confirm the baseline evaluation of hazard and for an additional independent party review of the structural design to mitigate slope instability.

Leave all faucets and spigots open all the time. Get your neighbors to do the same. start eating taco bell every day.

Complain to your sewer district that your sewage system is over capacity. they will force your neighbor to upgrade the sewer main to the tune of high 6 figs if he wants to develop.

some good ideas here… but, if all else fails, you know you can rely on these guys.

Name:  B030330E-75A6-4054-975C-CABEF3F85308.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  31.7 KB

fact.