Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crested Butte camping and Biking info

Hey! I'm heading there for my second time next week. the bike park is open, right? The CB site never updated it with hours of operation, when does it open and close?

Any intel on #vanlife camp spots with great views and not near anyone? DM me if you prefer to keep it on the DL. Thanks.

How's the weather/monsoons/smoke/trails been this summer?

Good luck.

Pretty much all the campsites in the valley are at designated sites and by reservation only. If you want to boondock you're going to have to stay pretty far outside CB proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Good luck.
    We are already getting that snide Coloradbro welcome! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Pretty much all the campsites in the valley are at designated sites and by reservation only. If you want to boondock you're going to have to stay pretty far outside CB proper.
    Ah, this explains the changes, thanks -

https://campfireranch.co/blog/creste...es-this-summer

- but it does say in the article 'designated camping' is first come, first serve - so you are saying those spots are very few then? Or are there a bunch and they are all listed here (tent symbols in grey boxes only):

https://gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/wp-...CB_CampMAP.pdf

What's pretty far mean, time-wise, for boondocking?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    We are already getting that snide Coloradbro welcome! Thanks!
    Honestly not trying to be snide, but as you can see, it ain't a free for all anymore and you'll probably be at a campsite near other people. That's just the new reality down there. I've just decided that I'll be camping the first night around Hartman rocks or out by Taylor Res then driving in to maybe find a spot later.

It sucks, but it is really the culmination of Vanlife during the pandemic that ruined the area for everyone. Great place to be a camp host now though!

<snip>
    What's pretty far mean, time-wise, for boondocking?
    I think the closest would be over in the Spring Creek or Taylor Park area, which is 30-45 minutes from CB. Might be stuff on the far side of Kebler, also - not sure how far that would be...

I don't know what you guys are talking about. There's lots of dispersed camping in/around CB.
    My favorite is Brush Creek dispersed sites, right off Brush Creek Rd (FR738), the road that leads out to Teocali, just a little ways past the Brush Creek Trailhead.
    Great sites, amazing views.

All legal, all free, no reservations. 5 minutes from Elk Ave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Things are good here right now, we've been getting rain but generally not too much so the dirt is good. Way too hot for my taste though. The bike park is open everyday (9-5 I think) and open late on Fridays as well.

Camping is still first come, first served, they're just marked now, and you can't camp anywhere that isn't marked for camping. I've been surprised how many I see that are open, even on weekends. Although others look like a madhouse. The Farris creek sites are rarely used and close to CB. Plenty of flies and mosquitos since the cows frequent that area.

If you're tent camping, the sites that are literally in Mt CB (before the Snodgrass trailhead) are never, ever used. I bet you could get one there on the 4th of July, no problem. In fact, probably fewer people close by than most of the sites up the surrounding valleys. But you aren't far from the road and houses, so not the same type of camping "experience".

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. And advice on shitty sites to avoid is valuable now, ha.

Roxtor, there is dispersed camping up there as of 2021-2022?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. And advice on shitty sites to avoid is valuable now, ha.

Here's a better map showing the actual location of the dispersed sites: https://crestedbuttemountainbike.com/camping/

There’s a KOA in Gunnison

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What Roxtar and GoldenBoy said. We came over three weeks ago and camped up Washington Gulch. There were plenty of peeps out there but we did not struggle to find a site on a Friday afternoon.

Yes they’re designated, but between Brush, WA gulch and sites up the pass there are still a lot of free options. We’ve camped up WA gulch for a dozen or so years; I’d say the only downside to our nice, rainy summer her in the Elks is that those meadows were pretty buggy fwiw.

There was last summer. Shoulder surgery has kept me away so far this year..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Bugs seem to be having a year in CO. More flies and skeeters in the San Juans than the past few years.

Only time I had problems with bugs around CB was camping on Cement creek and riding Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman's. The black flies definitely motivated me to keep riding.

I like others am loathe to give up the best butte campsites on an international forum. Duh! There are indeed plenty of dispersed/no-rez sites though. Look around, don’t show up Friday evening.

Not sure if it’s every year, but there is an insufferable deer fly season. Remember being pretty well pinned down in the car at least a couple of different times, especially in the Brush Creek area

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I like others am loathe to give up the best butte campsites on an international forum. Duh! There are indeed plenty of dispersed/no-rez sites though. Look around, don’t show up Friday evening.

Not sure if it’s every year, but there is an insufferable deer fly season. Remember being pretty well pinned down in the car at least a couple of different times, especially in the Brush Creek area
    I remember the deer flies vividly on Deer Creek in CB, of all places. I've never done that ride again... but that's 'cause it sucked, not because of the flies.

Thanks again guys. No need to publish specifics, you all gave me the low-down and pointed me in some vague directions which is all I need. if i don't find what I'm looking for it will be my fault, all least I get the gist of the area now.

I'll bring the Deet.

Where's the best place to fill up jugs of water?

Where's the best place to fill up jugs of water?
    The CB wastewater treatment plant has a dump station w/ water fill. I think its like $5 to fill water?

There is a free tap in Gunni at Legion park.

Bumping this. Will likely be trying to find a spot up here over Labor Day (me and the rest of the world). If you’ve got a spot or two that might be open I’d love a PM heads up. I assume it will be nearly impossible to find one. If I need to come up midweek to claim a spot lemme know.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Camping is still first come, first served, they're just marked now, and you can't camp anywhere that isn't marked for camping. I've been surprised how many I see that are open, even on weekends. Although others look like a madhouse. The Farris creek sites are rarely used and close to CB. Plenty of flies and mosquitos since the cows frequent that area.

If you're tent camping, the sites that are literally in Mt CB (before the Snodgrass trailhead) are never, ever used. I bet you could get one there on the 4th of July, no problem. In fact, probably fewer people close by than most of the sites up the surrounding valleys. But you aren't far from the road and houses, so not the same type of camping "experience".
    Seems like this reply provides your answer

The tent spots referenced above had hardly anyone in them last weekend, and there were 3 events going on at the base area, FWIW.

Looks like the camper/RV/vanlyfe trend results in empty tent-only campgrounds! Good news...

I would not want to tent camp there, they are empty for a reason.