Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Berd Spokes...oh my

Anyone else rolling with Berd spokes? I did a quick search in here and I'm not seeing anything.

I recently picked up a new carbon wheelset laced up with Berd spokes. Not only are they light AF, my 30 mm/DT 240 wheelset weight was 1350 grams but dang these spokes are magic. The trail is completely muted, irons out the ground somehow. The reduced 'buzz' and lack of feedback really lets you go faster. Hard to explain but its hands down the best upgrade I've ever made to a bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	421827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	421828  

Currently installing this Berd for a customer after it’s 2nd factory rebuild in a year. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1658174585.915038.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	421829

He loves the ride, but the spokes seem to get damaged rather easily.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

$8 per spoke ….

Buddy of mine rides/races XC on them, but he’s pretty gentle with his bikes. Definitely curious but not worth the $$$ for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, and I thought cx-rays were spendy...

I question the Berd spokes durability for riding in rocky terrain. I ping rocks off of my spokes kinda often. They're not the first ones to come out with a flexible spoke (just saw this morning that Spinergy released an update on their old flexible spoke wheelsets), but I've need seen those wheels get much interest in the mountain biking world.

And I should note that these Berds are ridden by a strong but goony NICA kid that is not gentle to his bike. Apparently likes to throw dorky XC whips, but does not bring the rear end of the bike back. Last rebuild was from when he bent his hanger and shifted off his big cog into the spokes and cut 2.

I've only seen these once -- guy I ride with occasionally, who has a set of Berd wheels on his $8K Yeti.

I can drop him uphill or down, on a fully rigid Surly. Can't say they seem worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Man, and I thought cx-rays were spendy...

I question the Berd spokes durability for riding in rocky terrain. I ping rocks off of my spokes kinda often. They're not the first ones to come out with a flexible spoke (just saw this morning that Spinergy released an update on their old flexible spoke wheelsets), but I've need seen those wheels get much interest in the mountain biking world.
    Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    And I should note that these Berds are ridden by a strong but goony NICA kid that is not gentle to his bike. Apparently likes to throw dorky XC whips, but does not bring the rear end of the bike back. Last rebuild was from when he bent his hanger and shifted off his big cog into the spokes and cut 2.

No doubt these are expensive, but the pay off is there for me.

As for durability, Ill post up any issues i have but so far so good. Sounds like that NICA rider is an outlier.

I'm not stoked on using them to rally bike park laps, but I will because I'm a one bike rider. I might swap out front wheel to AL/steel spokes for the bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    No doubt these are expensive, but the pay off is there for me.

As for durability, Ill post up any issues i have but so far so good. Sounds like that NICA rider is an outlier.

I'm not stoked on using them to rally bike park laps, but I will because I'm a one bike rider. I might swap out front wheel to AL/steel spokes for the bike park.

I'm getting rec.bike.tech flashbacks from this spoke discussion.

This should further the discussion.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/make-yo...pokes.1091276/
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Fiber flight spokes back in the day. I loved the ride quality….god forbid you flick a rock into the wheel.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

He loves the ride, but the spokes seem to get damaged rather easily.

That’s always been the issue of concern with this technology. Meanwhile my favorite local wheel builder keeps cranking out DT Comp Race spoke wheels with no issues. My 28H set is around 1450 g, is holding up well.

Steel is real. But maybe on an XC hardtail berd is the word
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Berd Spokes...oh my

Obviously a biased source but check out this spoke impact test. Metal vs Berd. A few other metal vs Berd tests on their YouTube channel too.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=X-7OMsT5u2s&feature=share

I gotta say, if someone jams a metal rod into my wheel, breaking a couple spokes is the least of my concerns.

Is like to see them chuck a 5lb rock at the wheel. That's a more realistic scenario.

I gotta say, if someone jams a metal rod into my wheel, breaking a couple spokes is the least of my concerns.

Is like to see them chuck a 5lb rock at the wheel. That's a more realistic scenario.
    How about a 5lb rubber mallet smash test? Skip to min 1:00.

https://youtu.be/q_oMh3ehRUE

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    How about a 5lb rubber mallet smash test? Skip to min 1:00.
    Sort of, but not really. It's essentially abrasion resistance that I'm concerned about.

If I look at any of my well used wheels, most of the spokes have little nicks and scratches in them from rocks bouncing off them. And generally that's not a problem - the spokes can take a fair amount of abuse. I'm curious / skeptical whether the Berd spokes can take similar abuse.

My concern would be more slow scrapes against stationary rocks.

The ride quality difference claims are interesting. Weight savings isn't compelling for me (my BTLOS wheels are 1390g) with regular spokes), but if they are indeed super damp, that could be pretty cool.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Sort of, but not really. It's essentially abrasion resistance that I'm concerned about.
    Abrasions? You get compensation!

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    My concern would be more slow scrapes against stationary rocks.

The ride quality difference claims are interesting. Weight savings isn't compelling for me (my BTLOS wheels are 1390g) with regular spokes), but if they are indeed super damp, that could be pretty cool.
    Yeah but your wheels could have been like 1250 grams with Berd spokes.

There might be less abrasion resistance with Berd but in my 25 years of MTB experience I cant recall grinding my spokes across a rough boulder. Maybe once, maybe. And any rock I might kick up Im pretty sure will just bounce off these springy spokes without damage. Even if I did lose a spoke, once ever 5 years or whatever, its worth it for the fulltime extra ride compliance.

Anyway, quit fighting me on this y'all, these spokes are a game changer. So smooth, like nothing else. Sell your unborn children and get some Berd's!

I’ve been thrashing a set of wheels with Berd spokes for two years now, and have yet to even need to re-tension them. The spokes have seen some seriously heavy shit, including several big sticks, rocks kicked into the spokes, massive bottom outs, etc. They’re definitely looking pretty hammered at this point abrasion wise, but I’d expect to have broken a few conventional spokes by now after what these have been through.

Worth the money, or the major pain in the ass building the wheel? Hard to say, but I’ve been stoked for two years of riding the piss out of them.

^^Interesting. Care to take a pic or two? Just curious what they look like after some abuse.

I have the same concerns as toast. My rims and spokes look like shit after a season, and just get worse from there, all from sharp, flying rocks. Turns out you can remove a significant chunk of steel spoke material without it breaking. Also a little rich for my blood, right now, at this moment in time.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

https://r2-bike.com/PI-ROPE-Protecti...k-Premium-10ml

The spokes of the PI ROPE wheels are made of a special Vectran textile braid. These are already provided with a protective film on delivery, which reduces damage when contacting sharp objects. The protective film can wear off due to mechanical wear or intensive washing (too hard a water jet). In order to enjoy your wheelset for a long time and to ensure the longevity of the spokes, it is necessary to maintain the protection of the spokes and reapply the care product when worn.

IT PUTS THE SPOKE LOTION IN THE WASH BUCKET!!

Saving 50 g per wheel is worth the lotion motion.

Allegedly.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

These are the most damaged spokes I could find on these wheels after two years of riding lots of loose steep garbage. UHMWPE is pretty tough stuff for the most part.