Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New EXO+ casings suck?

Curious who else is running them. Bought a pair of DH2’s for summer. Ripped a lug last Sunday (1 month of riding) and replaced it with the second tire. 2nd ride on them another failure at a lug.

Tire #2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5583.JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	421616

Name:	IMG_5586.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	421617

Tire #1

Name:	IMG_5588.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	421618

Anyone else running them? Or is this just a freak occurrence?

I’ve ran EXO+ MT for 3500 miles over the last 2 years. Never once pulled a lug. To have this happen 2x in the last week. On terrain I have ridden the whole time seems odd.

I submitted a warranty request as I have a hard time stomaching $200 in rubber over a weeks time. Let’s see what Maxxis says.

Article on the changes:
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-u...struction.html

Do people think that change from 120TPI to 60TPI would be at fault here?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That sucks. In your case, yes I think the change in construction is to blame. It seems the changes prioritize preventing pinch flats and bead related failures, leaving the casing the same as regular EXO.

New EXO+ casings suck?

Super annoying; running a higher pressure will help with pinch flats but this failure is really hard to prevent. I hate pedaling a DD casing.

I see no point in EXO+. If you're worried about weight just deal with EXO, if you want actual puncture resistance (which I haven't had any friends running say they have with EXO+) then get Double Down.

SkiLyft skids his turns. If he quit braking, this problem solves itself.

New EXO+ casings suck?

Hah!! Truth there. But I’m working on that.

The irony is I was off the brakes when this happened. This happened after exiting the turn today.

Also as I said; I’ve been piloting my bike the same over the last 3 years. Why has this happened 2x in the last week on a newly designed tire casing.

Hard to say for certain. Ive had a DD tire separate while in the pickup on the drive home before. Could be shit luck. You've had a good run

New EXO+ casings suck?

I’m hoping that’s what it is; this has really made me a believer in my tubolito!! That shit saved me a long walk out today!

I've never gone beyond EXO casing, as I'd never had a sidewall blowout since I went tubeless. Then I got a Dissector for the rear. Loved that tire (for its riding properties).

Then randomly, I read on TGR that it had weak-sauce sidewalls. Uncannily, like 4 days later, I hit a seemingly tiny (but evidently sharp) rock, in Moab, and sliced a 3" gash in the sidewall (walked out - getting a sewing kit like soon).

So maybe it's TGR that's the bad juju. Or maybe it's just a fluke.

In any case I went back to a DHF in back and haven't had any probs for a year on that one.

Interested to hear if Maxxis backs you up - random shit happens out there obviously, but probs not too many folks actually hit them up.

Bump,

I’ve heard of 2 other recent failures with my friends. Both were within a week of install.

what do you weigh and how many lbs of air ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Rode a pretty tame trail this weekend and my riding partner flatted her brand new Assegai which was either EXO or EXO+. Hard to say if it was a legit puncture or the lug tearing at the base.

Fixed with bacon and rode out.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what do you weigh and how many lbs of air ?
    195 with my granny pack - 27lbs

Well shit; just heard back from Maxxis. Apparently there isn’t an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by maxxis

Thank you again for submitting your warranty claim to Maxxis. At this time, your claim has been completed but is not eligible for product replacement. Our inspection found that the tires were damaged by road/trail hazard and not a manufacturer defect. Our bicycle tires are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship.

New EXO+ casings suck?

I am done with maxxis after a sidewalls fail before today’s ride

Last edited by whyturn; 09-03-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Yeah; I’m finding it hard to believe after so many recent failures on their new casings. Idk. Maybe it was always happening and I just didn’t pay attention to it.

Went to Exo / Cushcore to try out something different for science.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I am done with maxxis after a sram fail before today’s ride

I'll bite, what does a Sram failure have to do with a Maxxis tire?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I'll bite, what does a Sram failure have to do with a Maxxis tire?
    Sidewall. Damn spell correct

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Add me to this list

I have a Dissector on the rear. 4th ride I slit the sidewall. @20psi. Not rocky. At all. Bacon + stans didn’t do it. I put in a tube for the first time in years.

Daughter has a rekon. 2 rides. She weighs 100# on a superlight hardtail. Also had a sidewall gack. Also not on rocky terrain. Bacon and multiple CO2 got us home barely.

WTF Maxxis? I was just saying that I thought flats were a thing of the past but wtf apparently not.

Anything short of a double down casing is too light for a rear tire if you're running less than ~30psi.

Just compare it to schwalbe - a schwalbe super trail casing (which isn't advertised as being a particularly burly casing) is still most of 200 grams heavier than an equivalent tire with an exo casing, and around 100 grams heavier than exo+. Go figure, the schwalbe casings hold up better than exo / exo+.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Anything short of a double down casing is too light for a rear tire if you're running less than ~30psi.

Just compare it to schwalbe - a schwalbe super trail casing (which isn't advertised as being a particularly burly casing) is still most of 200 grams heavier than an equivalent tire with an exo casing, and around 100 grams heavier than exo+. Go figure, the schwalbe casings hold up better than exo / exo+.
    Agreed on the schwalbe. I run super trail affix soft with snakeskin. No more worries.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

FYI you can still get the old construction EXO+ tires from Europe. I picked up a EXO+ Maxxgrip Assegai to replace the EXO+ Maxxterra Assegai that came stock on the front of my bike. The Maxxterra compound is terrible for a front tire, it's way too hard and doesn't have the traction that I'm used to from the Assegai.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Been running EXO rear tires for 10+ years at 22-25 psi. I've had maybe 3 punctures in that time. 150lbs.

Bike park, Moab, New England, CO high country....

If I were racing enduro, they wouldn't cut it, but for every day riding, I've had good success.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Been running EXO rear tires for 10+ years at 22-25 psi. I've had maybe 3 punctures in that time. 150lbs.

Bike park, Moab, New England, CO high country....

If I were racing enduro, they wouldn't cut it, but for every day riding, I've had good success.

^^^ yeah, that.

If I ran 22 psi in my rear tire in any casing, I'd be running 0 psi shortly thereafter. I have no idea how people pull that off, at least without an insert.