Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Computer repair, Montana style

I am writing this on a 2013 Toshiba laptop. It is well past its prime and all I really use it for is the Internetz. Yesterday there was a notice from MS that I needed to run a critical update and restart. I hit, do it later..

Later I came into the house and went to the laptop to be socially media but the screen was blank and the system was locked up seemingly. Dope may have been involved in the next decision but I pushed the power button and held it until the system shut down and then I restarted it.

System came up all weird and kept giving a Winhttp.dll file missing or corrupt. Couldn't do much of anything with the system, fucked with it for a few hours. Well its old and I got my use out of it but I was a little pissed so I gave it a good toss. Afterwards I remembered there were probably a few files and address's I might want so I started the system. It loaded up, ran a system restore on its own and now it right back where it was before that critical update.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Was dope involved with this post? It seems like that's how most Windows updates go for me too.

I performed a similar repair on a buddy's tv awhile back. Replace dope with alcohol. I fall into the tv stand, knocking tv off. It does the pixelation of death in one corner. I put it back on the stand and give it a good thunk. et voila.
    swing your fucking sword.

Throw it in the Gallatin and buy a 250$ Chromebook.

Let off the heroin as well..

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Throw it in the Gallatin and buy a 250$ Chromebook.

Let off the heroin as well..
    Yes. No.

I am not an Apple user, sorry. And when this Laptop really dies I plan to empty a magazine of .40 into it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Who said anything about getting a fucking Apple?

The voices in his head? The heroin?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Chrome books suck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Jesus.

Bunions playing colecovision by candlelight

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Chrome books suck

I don't think he's running weather simulations, he's just posting on the TGRz.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Chrome books suck

Yes and no. They are actually pretty useful for a large group of people. I like the small ones. And you have to have the right low expectations going into the whole experience.

I like the couple of lenovos i've had and IBM before that and I think both of them we refurbished

my buddy the electronics dealer tells me less lenovo's shit the bed than any other brand
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

If you don’t have an internet connection a chrome book can be used as a door stop

If you don’t have an internet connection a chrome book can be used as a door stop

Not the intended use. For it's intended use case, it is highly effective.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Jesus.

Bunions playing colecovision by candlelight
    Says the guy living in a van down by the river....

Sorry, was thinking Macbook, don't do Chromebooks either. and yeah this this is just for surfing the net and getting all kinds of malware, keeps me from surfing while working. My business systems are all Windows based, not going to learn a new OS at this late date.
    The main difference between Chromebooks and laptops is of course the operating system. While laptops run on the most popular operating system Windows, Chromebooks run on web-based Chrome OS, which is basically a skinned version of the Chrome browser with some added functionalities.

If I need that kind of adjustment I just leave it in one of my teenagers' rooms.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Chromosomebooks are a no. Ask any kid who attended public school within the last 5 years.

swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Sorry, was thinking Macbook, don't do Chromebooks either. and yeah this this is just for surfing the net and getting all kinds of malware, keeps me from surfing while working. My business systems are all Windows based, not going to learn a new OS at this late date.
    Why don't you buy 2 lappys from Costco for the price of a Macbook that won't run your work shit? One for work and another to take a LinkedIn class on Kali Linux, so you can melt the fuck out of anyone who tries to catfish you again.

No barbed wire, rubber boots or rusty car parts?

Not the Montana I knew.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think Iceman said something about an Acer Chromebook 10 years ago. I got one, flawless for what I use it for. Gave it to my friends kid last year, got another one. For internetting and 200$ it's beyond fine.

I've been sleeping out at bridger lately. Peaceful af.

I plan to empty a magazine of .40 into it.
    Now that’s Montana style

Any thoughts about going into IT support or computer repair? Big Bad Ass Computer Repair has a nice ring to it. I have owned a few laptops a few .40 rounds would have improved.

I am not an Apple user, sorry. And when this Laptop really dies I plan to empty a magazine of .40 into it.

^^^ Next life.

My phone was acting wonky but the other day I dropped it in the river and it seems to be working fine now.