Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Webb Telescope

The scope is detecting light that hasn’t got to us yet

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I still don’t understand how we can see back 13 billion years. Doesn’t that mean we’ve been moving away from that light producing matter at almost the speed of light? If that light just got to us, doesn’t that mean the matter that produced that light is now ~ 10 billion light years further away?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It’s all relative…
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...h=5974b57d72a2

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Whoa. # BillAndTed

In the 7 minutes it took you to read this article, the Universe has expanded sufficiently so that another 15,000,000 stars have crossed that critical distance threshold, becoming forever unreachable. They only appear to move faster than light if we insist on a purely special relativistic explanation of redshift, a foolish path to take in an era where general relativity is well-confirmed. But it leads to an even more uncomfortable conclusion: of the 2 trillion galaxies contained within our observable Universe, only 3% of them are presently reachable, even at the speed of light.

I still don’t understand how we can see back 13 billion years. Doesn’t that mean we’ve been moving away from that light producing matter at almost the speed of light? If that light just got to us, doesn’t that mean the matter that produced that light is now ~ 10 billion light years further away?

Yes. The Object is even further away. The galaxy spans 100.000ly alone.

Most likely The Galaxien that emmited that light don't exist anymore.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The scope is detecting light that hasn’t got to us yet
    Uh what? Are you high on drugs you haven't taken yet?

If you go outside at night and turn on a flashlight and point it in to space then turn it off someone in another galaxy is seeing that light long after you turned the flashlight off because it took so long for that light to travel to them.. in this case billions of years.. The flashlight is off and you are long dead by then..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Is that big bang out there in EVERY direction? Or, is there a point of suspected origin/direction that this thing has to stay pointed at to ALMOST see it? i.e. if they point it 90 degrees different, will it still be seeing a similar timeline of data?

^^ I can’t give the answer to that for sure (maybe someone else can), but I do have an issue with that graphic that mud posted. On the far right, where it says “Big Bang”, there are specs of light. There was no light until the the first stars formed. The Big Bang was dark.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    ^^ I can’t give the answer to that for sure (maybe someone else can), but I do have an issue with that graphic that mud posted. On the far right, where it says “Big Bang”, there are specs of light. There was no light until the the first stars formed. The Big Bang was dark.
    Oh, here’s a link that does explain it. Turns out the the Big Bang is in every direction from us.
    https://skyandtelescope.org/astronom...-bang-located/

That's why they call it background radiation.

More like 80 billion light years farther away. The size of the observable universe is ~93 billion light years.

IIRC, this Veritasium episode does a good job of explaining it:

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    More like 80 billion light years farther away. The size of the observable universe is ~93 billion light years.

IIRC, this Veritasium episode does a good job of explaining it:
    And that’s the really mind boggling part in a nutshell. The 14 billion year old universe is 93 billion light years “across” yet the speed of light has somehow not been exceeded (due to the expansion of space-time, yada yada).

Said another way, that matter has only been traveling at 1-2% of the speed of light for 14 billion years yet it is 90 billion light years away.

Once you realize birds aren’t real.
    Then anything is possible

For some perspective. Voyager 1 has been traveling 40,000 miles per hour outwards into the universe since 1977 and hasn’t even reached a distance of 1 light day yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    For some perspective. Voyager 1 has been traveling 40,000 miles per hour outwards into the universe since 1977 and hasn’t even reached a distance of 1 light day yet.

But if Voyager were 10 billion light years away from us and traveling at the same speed relative to its surroundings it would be getting almost a light day further away from us every day.

The explanation is somewhere in here... I think...
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

But if Voyager were 10 billion light years away from us and traveling at the same speed relative to its surroundings it would be getting almost a light day further away from us every day.
    OFFS; just put it on a treadmill and be done with it.

And that’s the really mind boggling part in a nutshell. The 14 billion year old universe is 93 billion light years “across” yet the speed of light has somehow not been exceeded (due to the expansion of space-time, yada yada).

Said another way, that matter has only been traveling at 1-2% of the speed of light for 14 billion years yet it is 90 billion light years away.
    I had to look it up, kind of odd a forbes article was what I found...expanding fabric of space.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...h=668253073b5f

If you really want to get weird start listening to Donald Hoffman: https://www.scienceandnonduality.com...donald-hoffman

I'm still all in on the rubber band theory... The big bang has happened an infinite number of times.. over and over... EXACTLY the same way with exactly the same matter. BOOM!!!>>>>> EXPANDS until the limits of gravity and physics are reached then it collapses on itself again until BOOM!>>>>>>>>>>>>> over and over and over for eternity...
    And every one of us has done exactly what we're doing right this second exactly the same way, every thing everyone everywhere in the universe each and every time over and over because the conditions leading up to this moment happen exactly the same way each iteration.. over and over..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm still all in on the rubber band theory...
    do u even Dark Energy, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    do u even Dark Energy, bro?
    That's exactly what you said last time we had this discussion. :-P

This one of the Messier 74 galaxy is super trippy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9578.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	722.6 KB 
ID:	421904

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'm still all in on the rubber band theory... The big bang has happened an infinite number of times.. over and over... EXACTLY the same way with exactly the same matter. BOOM!!!>>>>> EXPANDS until the limits of gravity and physics are reached then it collapses on itself again until BOOM!>>>>>>>>>>>>> over and over and over for eternity...
    And every one of us has done exactly what we're doing right this second exactly the same way, every thing everyone everywhere in the universe each and every time over and over because the conditions leading up to this moment happen exactly the same way each iteration.. over and over..
    I could perhaps be convinced of the theory in your first paragraph, but second paragraph is pure bologna and defies our current understanding of physics. A la chaotic characteristics/reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I could perhaps be convinced of the theory in your first paragraph, but second paragraph is pure bologna and defies our current understanding of physics. A la chaotic characteristics/reactions.
    Ahh but what chaos theory purports (I had a course on chaos theory in grad school) is that ORDER always emerges from chaos.. eventually.. It just takes longer to become predictable.. but in the end, it does become predictable.