Thread: “OH, GOD”

“OH, GOD”

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Holy fucksticks

Dam, impressive.

That dude was remarkably calm much longer than I would have been.

I’d like to see the before and after of that glacier.

The amount of energy there is truly mind bending.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! Is he ok?

WATS A ALPHA ANGLE

Subscribed to find out what happened to the poor bloke

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

They had horses too... Amazed the horses didn't bolt. Soulds like dome of them did get bucked off though.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

9 Brits and 1 American on a guided tour of the Tian Shan mountains in Kyrgyzstan. We’d just reached the highest point in the trek and I separated from the group to take pictures on top of a hill/cliff edge. While I was taking pictures I heard the sound of deep ice cracking behind me. This is where the video starts. I’d been there for a few minutes already so I knew there was a spot for shelter right next to me. I was on a cliff edge, so I could only run away from the shelter (hence why I don’t move). Yes I left it to the last second to move, and yes I know it would have been safer moving to the shelter straight away. I’m very aware that I took a big risk. I felt in control, but regardless, when the snow started coming over and it got dark / harder to breath, I was bricking it and thought I might die.

Behind the rock it was like being inside a blizzard. Once it was over the adrenaline rush hit me hard. I was only covered in light powder, without a scratch. I felt giddy. I knew the rest of the group was further away from the avalanche so should be okay. When I re-joined them I could see they were all safe, although one had cut her knee quite badly (she rode one of the horses to the nearest medical facility). Another had fallen off a horse and sustained some light bruising.

The whole group was laughing and crying, happy to be alive (including the girl who cut her knee). It was only later we realised just how lucky we’d been. If we had walked 5 minutes further on our trek, we would all be dead. If you look carefully in the video, you can see the faint grey trail winding through the grass. That was the path. We traversed it afterwards, walking among massive ice boulders and rocks that had been thrown much further than we could have run, even if we acted immediately. To make it worse, the path runs alongside a low ridge, hiding the mountain from view, so we would have only heard the roar before lights out.

Wowsers. That was intense.

It's amazing how far/fast it just kept running. I kept waiting for it to fan out and disperse, but nope

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    That dude was remarkably calm much longer than I would have been.
    That's what I was thinking . Remarkably chill.

Holy cow. Massive glacial collapses like this are going to become more and more common as the climate continues to warm. Things like this cost me a lot more sleep than run-of-the-mill objective hazards when my son is off cavorting around in big, heavily glaciated mountains all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    Holy cow. Massive glacial collapses like this are going to become more and more common as the climate continues to warm. Things like this cost me a lot more sleep than run-of-the-mill objective hazards when my son is off cavorting around in big, heavily glaciated mountains all over the world.
    You might consider checking into the upstate thread. We’re always recruiting.

I save myself some time, and don't go in the update thread. What's the prevailing percentage of soup fans vs non soup fans?

These days it's all about blue tarps and spiedie.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    It's amazing how far/fast it just kept running. I kept waiting for it to fan out and disperse, but nope
    Acoustic fluidization: https://eos.org/research-spotlights/...dslides-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Wild.