Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290

    Selling and shipping a bike question.

    I recently got stung on Pinkbike and lost a few bucks, but karma will catch up with that kid (or I spend the time to track him down)
    Anyways I have a Pinkbike buyer for one of my bikes, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off shipping the bike my self and billing the seller, or have the seller send me a shipping label?
    If I'm the shipper and insurer I deal with any issues. Right?
    If he is the shipper I have no control if he claims he did not receive it. Right?
    Am I thinking this out correctly?

    I've gotten soft from buying and selling on TGR and trusting maggots here.
    Checklist:
    Insure it for the cost I'm selling it for
    Signature for arrival
    I'm the shipper, (not have them send me a label)
    Lots of photos of it packed properly.
    Paypal goods and services.

    Anything I'm missing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    12,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I recently got stung on Pinkbike and lost a few bucks, but karma will catch up with that kid (or I spend the time to track him down)
    Anyways I have a Pinkbike buyer for one of my bikes, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off shipping the bike my self and billing the seller, or have the seller send me a shipping label?
    If I'm the shipper and insurer I deal with any issues. Right?
    If he is the shipper I have no control if he claims he did not receive it. Right?
    Am I thinking this out correctly?

    I've gotten soft from buying and selling on TGR and trusting maggots here.
    Checklist:
    Insure it for the cost I'm selling it for
    Signature for arrival
    I'm the shipper, (not have them send me a label)
    Lots of photos of it packed properly.
    Paypal goods and services.

    Anything I'm missing?
    Solid checklist. Proceed.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    12,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Solid checklist. Proceed.
    X2.

    There's always risk. If someone is dead set on fucking you over, there's not much you can do to fully prevent it. All you can do is anticipate and minimize.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,966
    I'd go with a F&F payment or Venmo rather than G&S. First, PayPal is now sending 1099s to anyone who receives more than $600 in G&S payments per year, so there are tax implications for you. Second, there are no buyer protections for F&F payments; with G&S payments they can claim they never received the item and PayPal will refund them since they are deferential to buyers to a fault. Do you not expect PayPal to side with you in such a situation even if you have ample documentation that you shipped the item and they received it.

    I've been telling people that I'm no longer taking G&S payments due to the tax issue. I have a long list of sold items to point to as evidence that I'm not a scammer and people have been pretty understanding so far. Haven't tried it with a bike or other big item yet, though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    1,483
    How were you burned on PB? What was the username?

    I think your checklist is solid tho.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    How were you burned on PB? What was the username?
    I didn't do my homework. I was on PB mobile, traveling for work and wanted something shipped quickly before I got home. I didnt have a balance available on PayPal so I did Venmo instead, which I dont think will allow me to challenge the payment.
    After he did not ship I went back and saw he had a bunch of comments about being a scammer and not shipping after payment.
    I have his real name, his actual phone number, and his inactive Facebook has 14 family members with open pages.
    I think I'll send messages (with screen shots proving he stole from multiple people) to his parents, aunts uncles, cousins and tell them this kid is going to end up in trouble when he steals from the wrong person.
    It was less than $150 bucks for me, but there are people on PB claiming they sent $3000 for bike that was not shipped.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,628
    Sell via PayPal payment only, and ship only to the address on file with the PayPal account. Put the tracking number in PayPal (there's a place for that).

    And, signature required on delivery, but that's already been mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Regarding the Pinkbike scammer, I just emailed his mother who is a Dean at a prestigious University, and a high profile academic in her professional medical field.
    I provided her screen shots of my transaction with her son, and showed her how he blocked me once I asked for a tracking number twice and asked if he was just going to "steal from me"
    Screen shots of my Venmo transaction with his real name, his real cell number and real email address.
    I told her I'm a grown adult who made some mistakes in my youth, and gave her the opportunity of getting her son back on track.
    I also told her in the digital world how easy it is to track him down.
    I have found the program he is in at his University, his home street, where he starts and ends his bike rides, where he had had lunch twice in past week from his Instagram, and where her younger freshman son was living at the same University.
    I provided other screen shots from Pinkbike of many others who said they have had money stolen by him, including a $3800 claim.
    It will be interesting to see if mom responds to me....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Regarding the Pinkbike scammer, I just emailed his mother who is a Dean at a prestigious University, and a high profile academic in her professional medical field.
    I provided her screen shots of my transaction with her son, and showed her how he blocked me once I asked for a tracking number twice and asked if he was just going to "steal from me"
    Screen shots of my Venmo transaction with his real name, his real cell number and real email address.
    I told her I'm a grown adult who made some mistakes in my youth, and gave her the opportunity of getting her son back on track.
    I also told her in the digital world how easy it is to track him down.
    I have found the program he is in at his University, his home street, where he starts and ends his bike rides, where he had had lunch twice in past week from his Instagram, and where her younger freshman son was living at the same University.
    I provided other screen shots from Pinkbike of many others who said they have had money stolen by him, including a $3800 claim.
    It will be interesting to see if mom responds to me....
    Wow. Well done

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wow. Well done
    Lee, I know where you are too!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,263

    Selling and shipping a bike question.

    DH busting out his Liam Neeson impression on a PB sale gone wrong, love itís. Hopefully heíll be compelled to dot the right thing.

    Is there an excel sheet involved tracking the contacts and info?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    I got an out of office email "I'm on vacation"
    I hoped I didn't ruin Mom's vacation.
    "If you need immediate help please contact XXXX XXXXX Executive Director of Administrative Operations - XXX School of XXXXXX at University of XXXXXX"
    Should I call him to discuss Pinkbike?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Lee, I know where you are too!
    thats easy there are always pictures of him biking/ skiing/ stuffing his face all over the interent
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    thats easy there are always pictures of him biking/ skiing/ stuffing his face all over the interent
    He's always winking at me....

    And I haven't been to Smithers in a few years, but I can knock on your door next time I'm in town. I'm sure I can track you down just by having meal at Northern Star.

    EDIT: Lee and I know each other, I'm just being cheeky.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    15,966
    Savage.

    Between that and whoever it was that stole their bike back from bike thieves there has been some epic scammer justice meted out lately.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,642
    I will b in either craft brew or possibly both at the same time

    Due to my heritage I can't eat bad Canadian chinese food so I've never been to the Northern Star, the NS was and still is an FN hangout from the days not so long ago when Natives were not allowed in local restaurants

    I have also chaufered Lee & Sharon around town skiing eating and drinking scotch in LHutz's board room, lots of fun


    I sent tires back to Chain reaction and never got the credit, I should have got the insurance or sold them localy, I just wrote the experiance off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I will b in either craft brew or possibly both at the same time

    Due to my heritage I can't eat bad Canadian chinese food so I've never been to the Northern Star, the NS was and still is an FN hangout from the days not so long ago when Natives were not allowed in local restaurants

    I have also chaufered Lee & Sharon around town skiing eating and drinking scotch in LHutz's board room

    I sent tires back to Chain reaction and never got the credit, I should have got the insurance or sold them localy
    DUDE I did not know that that place was a Chinese Food Resturant.
    I pictured Liam Neilson drinking a coffee in a diner asking locals for tips, and I just googled a Smithers diner name.
    I sound like a racist Asshole now.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    13,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    He's always winking at me....

    And I haven't been to Smithers in a few years, but I can knock on your door next time I'm in town. I'm sure I can track you down just by having meal at Northern Star.

    EDIT: Lee and I know each other, I'm just being cheeky.
    Aye. But its also not just getting d0xed. PB buy and sell is really good about trust most of the times. I've even refunded people some money even after I've sold something; described scratches or imperfections and taken pics; and still had the buyer mildly complain. To me,,,,, that seemed like a small but right thing thing to do.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290

    Selling and shipping a bike question.

    PINKBIKE update.
    The kid that blocked me and that havenít responded responded to my messages for over a month just responded.
    Less that an hour after I emailed Mom.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    28,978
    lol

    Note to self: don't fuck with Dee Hubbs. He knows where I live.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    200+ people on this site have my real name and my home address from Buy and Sell
    Iíve mentioned where I work, pretty easy to track me if you wanted.

    I can only imagine the phone call he got from Mom who sends money to her son and pays for collegeÖ.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    27,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    DUDE I did not know that that place was a Chinese Food Resturant.
    I pictured Liam Neilson drinking a coffee in a diner asking locals for tips, and I just googled a Smithers diner name.
    I sound like a racist Asshole now.
    well for a person who grew up eating real chinese/ malay/ indian/ thai food cooked by mom its not really chinese food even worse its a buffet

    The northern was probably the least likely place for Liam to dine, if i was liam or more recently J Lo I would rent a nice house and employ a good chef which is what i think they do

    so I got the nod to be an extra in the Grey ( probably the bar fight scene) but I blew it off to tour Rogers pass and besides I heard it was -25C

    Only 5 min from an airport, only 20 min to snow line on an OK road, great bidess for hotels/ bars/ restaurants close to hollywood north , hope fully we get more of the movie bucks cuz its good $ and the movie folk seem to love us
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-09-2022 at 12:28 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    10,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'd go with a F&F payment or Venmo rather than G&S. First, PayPal is now sending 1099s to anyone who receives more than $600 in G&S payments per year, so there are tax implications for you. Second, there are no buyer protections for F&F payments; with G&S payments they can claim they never received the item and PayPal will refund them since they are deferential to buyers to a fault. Do you not expect PayPal to side with you in such a situation even if you have ample documentation that you shipped the item and they received it.

    I've been telling people that I'm no longer taking G&S payments due to the tax issue. I have a long list of sold items to point to as evidence that I'm not a scammer and people have been pretty understanding so far. Haven't tried it with a bike or other big item yet, though.
    Hard no to Friends and Family unless I know the seller well or they have a super good reputation among the group, like here. I'm only doing Goods and Services or running away from any transaction with any seller I'm even a little unsure about. I'll pay the fees. If they say no to that I'm out...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,290
    Weíve agreed on bike price, we have agreed on photos of it packaged up ready to ship.
    Shipping was almost $100 more than quoted, so I told him Iíd eat that, but not the $90 in PayPal fees. We will see what he comes back with.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,567
    Dee Hubs has a very particular set of skills. Skills that make him a nightmare for PB scammers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •