Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Or turning it off and on again?
    The hardest thing to find in the server room at work is a simple on/off button. I actually don’t think there is one, at least one ‘master’ switch outside of the circuit panel. Must be on purpose - it’s a plot!

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Has anyone up there tried apologising to the equipment yet?
    Underrated comment

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    The hardest thing to find in the server room at work is a simple on/off button. I actually don’t think there is one, at least one ‘master’ switch outside of the circuit panel. Must be on purpose - it’s a plot!
    Just flip that master switch if things seem a little off. Your sys admins will thank you.
    focus.

It was a very peaceful day. Can we get a TELUS to go offline too next Friday?
    Being grown-up sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Just flip that master switch if things seem a little off. Your sys admins will thank you.
    It’s the big red one, right?

FYI, our sys admin person is over 2hrs drive away. If we are lucky and they have nothing else on their plate. There’s been a couple times the local network’s been down and the sup/mgmt cell phones’ hotspots have been the office connection to the rest of the world - LOL.

I was drinking beer with a large systems country support guy (sharp guy) on a HW course, he told me about getting sent to mexico for a mainframe that would not powerup. So he watches the POR sequence and he notices the mainframe always goes down when the second printer gets powered up and at the same time a guy disappears out of the room. So next time he follows buddy and he finds the electrician reefing on a breaker in the basement with a screwdriver, there wasn't enough power to run the entire computer room and so the ironic thing was that the customer was the national power company of Mexico
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-09-2022 at 10:44 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I think it is time we realized - the Beavers have not forgotten the fur trade.

Make hats out of our ancestors will ya!

Vengeance will be ours.

...and a dish served cold.

....with a side of alder.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tage-1.6483965
    The beaver is a proud and noble animal

The beaver is really just a rodent with a good publicist

Canada cell and internet outages??

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The beaver is a proud and noble animal
    It’s a rodent. That breeds until they eat everything in their neighbourhood, whose population then crashes due to starvation and disease. The system then recovers, and a new set of beavers moves in. Sometimes a colony gets fortunate, and the local predator population staves off their self-inflicted demise for a few generations. Cool critter, but a rodent nonetheless.

But hey, the queen loves them so much, she’s repatriated them back in the UK. But in Scotland, so there is that.

You talk smack about your national animal?
    And not even apologise?

Here’s some of their handiwork in my hood. Did a good job of planning the cut given the stem deformities

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E8158660-9870-4450-8395-9EF45F264B99.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	421036

FWIW the bald eagle is pretty much a scavenger
    And the beaver is Oregon’s state animal

I took some weird colored plastic money to the bakery today since the credit machines were down. cell service is still out. but come to think of it, i still have some awesome cookies to put down. c ya
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

A black powder shooting guy told me the way to knock out beavers is drive a pipe into the dam, fill it with explosives and blow that Dam, you wana blow it late fall/ early winter during freeze-up cuz the water isnt running so the beavers don't have a chance to rebuild their ponds and they freeze to death

I like how a thread about the internet being down in Canada devolved into a discussion on beaver eradication.
    Damn beavers are probably responsible for the outage given their destructive potential.

I like how a thread about the internet being down in Canada devolved into a discussion on beaver eradication.
    Devolved?

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

^dont be too hard on yourself, we all lack discipline when it comes to beaver videos.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    ^dont be too hard on yourself, we all lack discipline when it comes to beaver videos.
    Awful hard on the beaver.

Looks like an asshole, doesn't it?

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 172
Size:  181.8 KB

If it was a few major fiber lines, or a update that they sent out to all their routers, then the services can fail. Or it could be DNS, it is always DNS....

Was not a good day for me. I got a new furnace installed a week or so ago. Two nights ago it started leaking, bad. (turned out to be an ac issue) Trying to get service yesterday with no phone or internet (or way to pay) was a day long stress test. Was successful in the end but not fun.

Pretty widespread issue though - no cell/data, internet, some 911 systems weren't working, debit and credit weren't working (credit was restored relatively quickly), hospitals were turning people with certain types of appointments away because their systems weren't working, big Weekend concert cancelled at the Rogers ctr because they couldn't process tickets etc.

Talk about shitting the bed.

Name:  FXLZzB6WAAI4cBw.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  62.2 KB

ever buddy in Canada was incensed cuz they couldn't play wordle

me i seen a lot of dead computers and could give zero fucks

What happened in Canada is what is going to happen here several times a summer, lasting for days, when we have public safety outages where they shut down the main transmission lines due to fire risk. No phones--cell or land line, no way to buy food or keep it cold, no way to call 911, no way to buy gas to leave town, no way to get information to find out what's happening. And no one is doing anything about it--no microgrids or the like. Police and the hospital have generators but that doesn't do anyone else any good. And even if you have a generator you won't be able to connect to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What happened in Canada is what is going to happen here several times a summer, lasting for days, when we have public safety outages where they shut down the main transmission lines due to fire risk. No phones--cell or land line, no way to buy food or keep it cold, no way to call 911, no way to buy gas to leave town, no way to get information to find out what's happening. And no one is doing anything about it--no microgrids or the like. Police and the hospital have generators but that doesn't do anyone else any good. And even if you have a generator you won't be able to connect to the outside world.
    SkyLink/Satellite internet? FWIW we bought a small propane powered generator after losing power for 10 days following a bad ice storm in 2002. We've only used to 2-3 times for a day here and a day there since.. but still glad to have a plan B to power a few household things. The power lines are still all above ground around here..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

LMAO so they tried to update some firmware or whatever on their main core devices at 4:30am on a Friday. What dumb idiot approved that maintenance window??

I havent seen that ^^ news yet but obviously somebody fucked up and then doubled down by not backing it out

IME updates were always at 1am on a sunday or sometimes they cancel if they decide at the meeting it was too risky

so if HW magicly wasnt working on monday I would check to see if headoffice did some update on the weekend

but the level of consumer outrage was over the top IMO, cuz stuff is always gona break