Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Push ElevenSix experience

Howdy.

I am considering selling two shocks (X2 & DHX2) and getting one (hopefully more reliable) replacement. Shock is providing service on a Transition Spire (170 travel). The X2 and DHX2 have been good when new/properly functioning, but are sensitive to side-loading stress and both currently getting rebuilt.

If you have owned A Push ElevenSix or ridden one for a good bit of time, what are your thoughts? It is really the beesknees? The 11/6 purports to be reliable and long-lasting, and able to deal with trunnion/side-load stress as well. Has that proven true?

Also, if anyone has experience with EXT's Storia Lok, how does that compare? Any direct comparison of Storia vs. 11/6? And how noisy is the Storia when riding?

Thanks for your wisdom on these expensive dampers!

No experience with the 11-6 but I'm running a Storia on my Gnarvana and am absolutely loving it. It is definitely quite loud, squishing sound every time it compresses. It doesn't bother me one bit, from what I understand it's part of EXT's design philosophy (something about more turbulent flow making for better but noisier dampers).
    I find myself never using the lockout and would probably get an Arma if I had to do it again, the ability to tune the bottom out behavior could be interesting to play with.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I had one of the prior 11-6s (without HBO). In general I thought it was nicer than a DHX2, just better damping feel and the bottom out bumper was tuned for the bike. But it was heavy as fuck and I never used the second circuit. So when I changed bikes, I went with the Storia. I believe the newer 11-6s have spherical bearing mounts in addition to a stout shaft to help deal with side loading.

I love the Storia. It's got a really nice feeling damper tune with lots of usual range. The HBO is amazing, and makes your bike feel bottomless on anything but headbanger landings. It's quite light for a coil. Again, I never use the climb switch so if / when I get another bike that uses a different configuration (trunnion or something), I'd probably get an Arma for adjustable HBO instead of another Storia. I notice the valve noise while pedaling, but never descending. It sounds basically like a quiet metal click with a little bit of oil noise. The oil noise is less than I've had on Fox shocks running rebound wide open. The clicking isn't too bad and after a while your brain tunes it out. In terms of side loading, the shaft on the Storia / Arma is quite big compared to a DHX2. I know you can get the eStoria with spherical bearing mounts, and depending on the frame configuration you can sometimes get the regular versions with them too. (The Geometron / Nicolai tunes includes them. One of the guys I talked to at Suspension Syndicate was running a Geometron version of the Storia on his Megatrail.) I have been told by them that they'd like to make the spherical mounts more readily available in the next version of the shock, but that'd likely be a couple years out.

I've been happy with my 11-6 (GG Smash with 145mm travel), going on about 6 months with no issues. I can't hear it making any noise over my slurpy sounding Lyric. I use both damping circuits frequently. One circuit is setup for slower tech riding and one for fast flow trails. Would love to A/B it with a Storia, heard nothing but good things.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Shock is providing service on a Transition Spire (170 travel). The X2 and DHX2 have been good when new/properly functioning, but are sensitive to side-loading stress and both currently getting rebuilt.
    Check your frame. Transition had a bad run of frames with misaligned shock mounts that eat shocks. Neither the X2 or DHX2 are known for consuming themselves as far as I know.

For a more budget option, I've been super happy with an MRP Hazzard with progressive spring on my Patrol.

I have owned a few 11-6 shocks

I had the first gen on my Evil Wreckoning and it was phenomenal... so good it made me realize the fork also needed and upgrade and I put the AC3 in it and was VERY Happy. I went two years of almost daily riding before the 11-6 needed a factory service.

I have the second gen on my Evil Offering.. This was a noticeable improvement over the first gen( which was amazing as I didn't think there was much to improve upon), and once again I am extremely happy with it. I have ran that with an AC3 conversion since the beginning of the first Covid summer, and it still doesn't need a factory service.

On the Evil bikes It is mind blowing how good it is, HOWEVER, Evil and Push work very closely together and the custom tune that Push does specific to the Evil frames is insanely good. The two are basically designed together.

Based upon that experience, I put one of the current gen's on my Transition Repeater. Push didnt haven a specific offering yet for the Repeater, so I put one on that was setup and tuned for a Sentinel on it as their is only 2.5mm of stoke length difference between the two bikes. It is good on the Repeater, but its not mind blowing. Thats most likely due to the fact it is not properly tuned / valved for that bike, but it does work very well.... just not as impressive as it is on the Evil. After 600 miles, the 11-6 now needs a factory service as its bleeding quite a bit of oil now. Rummor has it, they are working on a E-specific 11-6 that will utilize a steel shaft. I'm certain the early need for a factory service is due to it not being properly valved for the Repeater from the get go. Thats 100% on me.

So in conclusion, yes the 11-6 is worth it, but only if you have it custom tuned to your bike, weight and riding style. I also strongly feel, its kind pointless to do the 11-6 unless you also go with a coil conversion for the fork. Doing both makes a very big difference to the overall feeling of the bike and they work together as a system.

The Push customer service is also AMAZING.

Also its worth noting on the Repeater, I went with the Vorpsrung Smashpot coil conversion as there was no Push AC3 available for the Zeb. Having now owned both the AC3 and the Smashpot, I can say the Smashpot is a much better coil conversion... mostly due to the fact the end of stroke on the Smashpot is hydraulic dampened where as the the end of the stroke on the AC3 is an Airpsring, so it ramps up vs, dissapates the energy at the end of the stroke. Both are. good, but the smashpot feels way better.

Build quality of the AC3 is superior to the Smashpot, as its just finished nicer and is pretty much ready to drop in the fork, while the Smashpot requires quite a bit of assembly. However the Smashpot allows you to set the fork travel wherever you want by changing the shim stacks, the AC3 requires you to buy a new $55 shaft for each length you want to change to.

The 11-6 should be silent. If you hear any noise from it, then you need a factory service. I didnt notice the weight of it on any of my bikes, and I have a full Envelope, AXS build on the Offering, so thats where I would notice, it. I do notice the better traction it provides while climbing, and there is a significant difference between the Trail and DH mode on all of mine.

Spent a bit of time on a friend's 11-6 on my enduro. Shock was tuned for the enduro and I'm just a little heavier than the friend I borrowed it from.

It had super impressive support and big hit performance. Big impacts just kinda disappeared, and it made a very noticeable difference when pumping and popping off of stuff. But small bump sensitivity was a bit disappointing (even with compression damping wide open). It was about on par with my float x2. Which is fine, but I think it could've been a lot better.

Haven't tried one on any other bike, so no idea if that experience carries over to other frames / tunes. But based on my single experience with the 11-6, I'm more curious about the EXT's.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Spent a bit of time on a friend's 11-6 on my enduro. Shock was tuned for the enduro and I'm just a little heavier than the friend I borrowed it from.

It had super impressive support and big hit performance. Big impacts just kinda disappeared, and it made a very noticeable difference when pumping and popping off of stuff. But small bump sensitivity was a bit disappointing (even with compression damping wide open). It was about on par with my float x2. Which is fine, but I think it could've been a lot better.

Haven't tried one on any other bike, so no idea if that experience carries over to other frames / tunes. But based on my single experience with the 11-6, I'm more curious about the EXT's.
    If you are too heavy for a tune, first thing that goes away is small bump sensitivity.

I've been riding an 11.6 for years. 10/10 would buy again.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have had three different 11-6 rear shocks. Knolly Warden Carbon, Yeti SB150, GG Gnarava (current bike). Unknown hundreds of miles on those shocks. Probably 15ish enduro races on them. Been sold on them for a while now. They are what's up.

Push ElevenSix experience

I echo a lot of Gunder’s comments:
    I have 2000 miles on my V1 Evil offering + 11-6 and front AC3 conversion.

Frankly speaking; not sure I’ll ever run a different shock. This a game changer and absolutely changes the way the bike performs. One could argue that evil with an air can is simply too progressive… but whatever.

So as long as the shock is tuned for you and the bike; you should be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I will add as others have. The fork coil conversion is fucking incredible. I had that on my SB150 in a Fox 36. Astounded they have not come out with coil conversions for the Zeb or 38. Strange really.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I will add as others have. The fork coil conversion is fucking incredible. I had that on my SB150 in a Fox 36. Astounded they have not come out with coil conversions for the Zeb or 38. Strange really.
    They are in the process of coming out with their own fork…

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    If you are too heavy for a tune, first thing that goes away is small bump sensitivity.
    I weigh like 5lbs more than the guy it was tuned for. I don't recall what sag was, but it was less than the dhx and float x2 that I was swapping with.

That tune for the 11-6 just has shitty small bump sensitivity.

(Also, you're saying that if I was undersprung, the shock would have incredible big hit performance and lackluster small bump sensitivity? Lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    They are in the process of coming out with their own fork…
    Makes sense.

While we're at it who has run the HC97 in a Zeb? My Zeb select with the low end damper runs like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Makes sense.

While we're at it who has run the HC97 in a Zeb? My Zeb select with the low end damper runs like shit.
    not me, but do have an HC97 installed in a Lyrik w/Charger damper and it's the tittays.

Running one on my GG Gnarvana and I love it... I'm not good enough to say that it's light years ahead of other options, or even worth the price premium compared to the RS and Fox offerings, but it's damn nice. I have mine set up with a plush DH mode (a little softer than the factory rec) and a climbing mode, and I've got no complaints with either. It's buttery smooth on the small hits but ramps up nicely in super rowdy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Check your frame. Transition had a bad run of frames with misaligned shock mounts that eat shocks. Neither the X2 or DHX2 are known for consuming themselves as far as I know.

For a more budget option, I've been super happy with an MRP Hazzard with progressive spring on my Patrol.
    DAMMIT, man. I'd kinda forgotten about the Hazzard... and just looked, and they have my shock spec now (trunnion 185x52.5).

Now the question - does the following leverage curve need a std or progressive spring (2018 Trance):

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    DAMMIT, man. I'd kinda forgotten about the Hazzard... and just looked, and they have my shock spec now (trunnion 185x52.5).

Now the question - does the following leverage curve need a std or progressive spring (2018 Trance):

I'd probably lean towards a progressive with that curve. Effectively cancel out the flattening of the curve in the 2nd half of the stroke.

Now the question - does the following leverage curve need a std or progressive spring (2018 Trance):[/IMG]
    I'd hit up MRP on that one... my Patrol is more linear than that so a progressive spring was a no brainer.

That's like 16% progression based on how I calculate it. You could run a coil but it will work better with a progressive spring. But MRP makes one so that sounds like a decent option.

Edit: in my experience <15% is good for air only, and will need a lot of tokens. 15-20% coil can work but feel better with progressive springs. Air shocks will require some tokens still. 20-25% feel great with coils, and air shocks should have all the volume tokens taken out. 25%+ should be coil only. Take that with a generous pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    That's like 16% progression based on how I calculate it. You could run a coil but it will work better with a progressive spring. But MRP makes one so that sounds like a decent option.

Edit: in my experience <15% is good for air only, and will need a lot of tokens. 15-20% coil can work but feel better with progressive springs. Air shocks will require some tokens still. 20-25% feel great with coils, and air shocks should have all the volume tokens taken out. 25%+ should be coil only. Take that with a generous pinch of salt.
    I used to run a CC DBIC climb-switch on my old 2010 Reign, and loved the DH performance of that shock... just started throwing around the idea of getting a Hazzard and relegating my Float DPX2 to backup status.

Although I just checked and CC now offers the DBIC in the right size.

Thanks all for the comments on the 11-6 and EXT. Found a fairly new 11-6 with the right tune for my Spire, so I am going to give it a whirl. Based on all the positive comments here, I am hopeful it will give me the ride I've been looking for. Will report back with comments once I get it set up.

Adrenalated - I did have the frame alignment issue which affected the two Fox shox. That's sorted now thanks to Transition. But I've still heard that the Transition linkage with the trunnion set up can put enough stress on shocks to require relatively frequent rebuilds. I'm hoping that the 11-6 with its specs, construction, and spherical mount will help it run longer without hassles. I also think the HBC will be good because I bottomed the Float X2 on nearly every ride with 28-30% sag and max volume spacers.

Thanks all for the comments on the 11-6 and EXT. Found a fairly new 11-6 with the right tune for my Spire, so I am going to give it a whirl. Based on all the positive comments here, I am hopeful it will give me the ride I've been looking for. Will report back with comments once I get it set up.

Adrenalated - I did have the frame alignment issue which affected the two Fox shox. That's sorted now thanks to Transition. But I've still heard that the Transition linkage with the trunnion set up can put enough stress on shocks to require relatively frequent rebuilds. I'm hoping that the 11-6 with its specs, construction, and spherical mount will help it run longer without hassles. I also think the HBC will be good because I bottomed the Float X2 on nearly every ride with 28-30% sag and max volume spacers.
    I’d HIGHLY recommend a cascade linkage on that bike as well, regardless what shock you run. Pretty much all of the guys here in Bellingham are running those with great improvement.

Interesting, the linkage stress must be somewhat specific to the Spire? I haven't heard of issues with the Patrol, nor have I had issues with mine.

The Cascade linkage seems like it'd be a smart upgrade for you, both for increased stiffness and since you were already having bottoming issues with an air shock with max spacers.