Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weekend ideas from DFW

Had a fab weekend in Jackson Hole a few years back off recommendations on here. In Fort Worth for work in a couple of weeks over a weekend and would love to go exploring somewhere. A mate suggested Las Vegas? All ideas appreciated. As before, reciprocal ski accommodation in Verbier, Switzerland on offer. Thanks in advance! Sorry if I’m in the wrong place.

Vegas if a 17 hour drive from Fort Worth so not sure that makes too much sense. Got nothing as far as recs for FW but I like the idea of getting away from it as far as possible.

Pretty sure there are dozens of daily flights from Dallas Fort Worth to Vegas.

Vegas will be HOT!

Direct flight to Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Had a fab weekend in Jackson Hole a few years back off recommendations on here. In Fort Worth for work in a couple of weeks over a weekend and would love to go exploring somewhere. A mate suggested Las Vegas? All ideas appreciated. As before, reciprocal ski accommodation in Verbier, Switzerland on offer. Thanks in advance! Sorry if I’m in the wrong place.
    Not sure what kind of things you’d want to do, but you could catch a Rangers baseball game. They will be in Arlington most of July. Also, there’s all kinds of amusement parks and water parks in that area, like 6 flags and Epic Waterpark.

Or, you could fly somewhere.

I bet they serve more bottles of bud at billy bob's than they do in the entire state of Delaware
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Name:  1059ea30-f60d-4ed2-a8b1-1fdb7fc6fe71_text.gif
Views: 580
Size:  178.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is the correct advice.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Along the same line, a trip to New Orleans is recommended. Weather will suck, like most anywhere in the southwest and south, but you can't go wrong for a weekend of world class eating and drinking.

There must be some good barbeque there...right?
    I think there's an art museum.
    Not sure what else there is to do in Dallas, or anywhere in Texas, but go up a tall building and shoot at people from it. It's what they're famous for.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

New Orleans would be a million times better than Vegas, and closer to fly to.

Try Waco and Austin for a road trip. Waco is a good pit stop on your way to Austin, in Austin I'd see live music, eat very good BBQ, go swimming, and eat a lot of other good food too.

American Airlines has direct flights from DFW to BZN (aka Bozeman). Uber to Murdochs to buy a cowboy hat, then shuttle to the stadium for the Kenny Chesney concert.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

There’s a couple of local bands in DFW
    See if these guys are playing

There's some good disk golf courses around there if you can handle the heat..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    New Orleans would be a million times better than Vegas, and closer to fly to.

Try Waco and Austin for a road trip. Waco is a good pit stop on your way to Austin, in Austin I'd see live music, eat very good BBQ, go swimming, and eat a lot of other good food too.
    Didn’t think of New Orleans. Excellent idea. Thank you! Will watch Live and Let Die on the flight over to refresh my only memory 😀

Don’t know much about Austin, other than that Lance Armstrong lives there! Keen cyclist but it’s too hot 🥵

Thanks for the other ideas. Have done Stockyard and various other FW attractions on previous trips so looking to go somewhere different this time.

New Orleans is great, provided you don’t die there. It’s on pace to be the murder capital of the US this year.

I’m also not sure why anyone would recommend Waco. There’s a cool Mammoth museum, but other than that…

We were just there in May, never felt unsafe. We also weren't slinging bags near the projects.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    We were just there in May, never felt unsafe. We also weren't slinging bags near the projects.
    missed opportunities aside.... what was your favorite part?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    You didn't get the real experience then.

Seriously though, NOLA is great. Food is awesome, music is awesome...just stay in your lane and don't go stumble drunking through the 7th ward?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    missed opportunities aside.... what was your favorite part?
    Food, antiques, food, booze, food. And mainly the don't give a fuck attitude about eating and drinking to the detriment of anyone's overall health.

Also, New Orleans is going to be seriously hot and humid in August. If a short non-stop flight is in the cards look at Mexico City for a day or two. Great city with temperate weather.

What are you into? Mountain activities? City stuff? Food?

For city stuff, there is Austin and New Orleans are quick flights. It'll be way too hot in both at the moment. Vegas sucks. Not fun as a solo trip IMO.

There are daily direct flights from DFW to Durango and also Santa Fe. Both are good for a weekend. Santa Fe has really good food, especially if you like spicy food. Durango has more dramatic mountain nearby. Both have good trail running and mountain biking.

You can also fly direct DFW to Gunnison (Crested Butte), Montrose (Telluride), Aspen, Vail and Hayden (Steamboat Springs).

If I was visiting from out of the country I'd bring trail running gear and go to one of those places in CO or New Mexico.

I'd say Telluride would be the #1 most beautiful spot out of those that I listed, followed by Aspen, Crested Butte and then the others in no particular order.

Another option- fly to Flagstaff and drive to the Grand Canyon.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that you can fly to some really nice beach locations in Mexico within 2.5 hours flying of DFW. Cozumel. Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I’m also not sure why anyone would recommend Waco. There’s a cool Mammoth museum, but other than that…
    I recommended it as a pit stop - as in grab some good coffee or lunch there on your way to Austin. Sounds like you've been there now - did you read the history of the deadliest tornado in Texas, that hit town, knocked all the buildings down except the Alico? When they rebuilt guess who got the destroyed part of town - it wasn't the white people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_W...rnado_outbreak

As for New orleans being way too hot - sometimes you guys gotta suck it up and go in the middle of summer, if that's your only option to visit in your life. I went last month and it was 90 degrees by 9am with a ton of humidity one day (not every day) - still a great weekend trip for food and culture even if I got sweaty. Everywhere has ice cold AC pumping and frozen daiquiris from the drive thru-s really are nice to cool down (a teeny tiny bit, ha).