Anyone have experience checking skis on LATAM Airlines?

The wife and I are headed to Chile in August and our return flight is code-shared through LATAM. We each want to bring a separate rig for touring and lifts, but LATAM's policy appears to permit a single pair of skis as a checked bag.

Anyone have any experience with LATAM checking multiple skis in a single bag? Are we gonna get burned?

anyone?

Is your initial flight out of the States booked on a US carrier? Id call the initial carrier and see how the partnership deal works once your gear is off of the initial plane and on to LATAM. Also, on the way home you will be loading onto LATAM first. It looks like there is a $100.00 charge for more than one pair in a ski bag. If I knew I had to pay an extra $100.00 and get all of my gear to my final destination I would gladly fork over the money. Id check with the initial airline to see how it works. I find Delta to be a good airline to travel internationally with gear. Way less hassle than United.

Are there any airlines that don't specify that a checked ski bag consists of one pair of skis & boots that can be in a separate boot bag? No experience with skis on LATAM, but most every airline I can remember flying both domestically and internationally has said that 1 pair of skis is allowed in the bag, and I've flown with two many times and never had issues. As long as you're under the regular baggage weight limit I don't foresee you having issues.

I can't speak for LATAM specifically but I've flown internationally with 2 pairs of skis in the bag and never had an issue so long as it weighed less than 50 pounds. Japanese domestic flights tend to be very picky about luggage weight and it wasn't a problem (I did have to do a bunch of shuffling at the airport for one of my regular checked bags).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Thanks, all! Outbound flight is Delta, which I'm not worried about. We are going to roll the dice with LATAM on the way back. We got burned by Japan Airlines a couple years ago, which has an absurd ski check policy at $200 per bag...

Flew two pairs of skis per bag with no issues four summers ago. They did pull us out of line because of a suspicious substance in the ski bag and we almost missed flight out of Santiago. (The offending item turned out to be a tin of Hestra glove balm, btw, so pack carefully lol.)

Pete: you flying out of ATL or LAX?
    Let us know how full is your flight.

I’m thinking of trying to get there on an S4 pass.