HT or FS for my kid?

My son is 14, going to be a freshman in high school and is joining the high school MTBing team. He's got an old 26er HT but gonna get him an upgrade. What would be a better bike for him, hard tail or full suspension? The goal here is to get him to be a good rider by the time he's graduated. Is one better than the other for learning/progressing? Ain't gonna get him anything fancy/spendy, been looking at giant fathom(ht) and stance(fs), seems like I can get a 1 or 2 year old one for 1300ish in either one.
    Thanks, Mike

What are the other kids on the team riding? What does he want to do?
    My first I picked up an enduro type ride because I figured he could ride it if he gave up the team. There are a few boys that seem more into jumping and that sort of thing every year that progress that way. The fast kids all seem to go to 100 mm full suspension type bikes. When my oldest started getting podiums, I got him a hard tail 120 mm full carbon in the price range you are talking. He did very well on it, but he was one of the only kids on a hard tail.
    Talk to the head coach. There are sometimes deals for kids. Some of these are significant. Like 50% off at a local shop that may open the door for you on a new bike.
    Hope he loves it. Two of my three have.

Another thing our team has is a number of donated bikes. If they have that, he could try one and get a feel for what he might want?