Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Antiwork

Non DJ. Agree.
    I work with electricians. Most of the top guys get in the office pretty quickly, avoiding the broken body scenario, and all make good cash. Mostly non union here, but similar apprentice programs with outfits like ABC and IES. They train and trade people depending on the job needs. They are begging for people and paying for them to learn on the job.
    My buddy runs a crew of welders that work on giant boilers. He makes some CA$H money, but is always on the road. I don't see the "broken body" aspect as being the biggest problem in the trades. Anyone with a halfway decent head on their shoulders is going to move up to super or PM, or lead in short order. The bigger problem is the time away from family. Most of these guys travel far to job sites, have per diems, and live on the road. Money is good, but they are never around to spend it. Of course, I know corporate types that the same applies.

Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    You have to win the lottery to be a longshoreman.

Then you have to have the flexibility to show up every day knowing you'll likely not get work until you get enough hours to move up the seniority ranks.
    That is certainly true at least in Oahu.. Friend I know waited 14 years until he was able to get a spot there as a long shore man.. Not sure who he had to kill...
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Non DJ. Agree.
    I work with electricians. Most of the top guys get in the office pretty quickly, avoiding the broken body scenario, and all make good cash. Mostly non union here, but similar apprentice programs with outfits like ABC and IES. They train and trade people depending on the job needs. They are begging for people and paying for them to learn on the job.
    My buddy runs a crew of welders that work on giant boilers. He makes some CA$H money, but is always on the road. I don't see the "broken body" aspect as being the biggest problem in the trades. Anyone with a halfway decent head on their shoulders is going to move up to super or PM, or lead in short order. The bigger problem is the time away from family. Most of these guys travel far to job sites, have per diems, and live on the road. Money is good, but they are never around to spend it. Of course, I know corporate types that the same applies.
    Sparkies make some of the best money out there, but it's harder to get in as a construction inside wireman than any of the rest. Just helped a friend's son get into the IBEW down in SoCal and they only had lighting and audio positions open (likely film and movies, not construction). Still good money.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Antiwork

Re: Trades / Broken Bodies

With advancement of tech and stronger safety standards - these guys aren’t breaking their bodies in the same way they were 20 years ago.

One example …We’re doing a 15,000sf deck pour today and the hose is being dragged by a machine (line dragon) not by humans…

However ironworkers, drywallers, flooring installers - Would be the exception to that….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

pretty much
    even in residential some of the change has occurred due to lack of labor and people working smarter not harder which has also increased costs of building

plumbers use mini track hoes now to dig underground lines 20 years ago it was all hand dug
    we used to hump big wood beams steel beams and walls no one does that anymore call a crane or have a lift on site

I took over a phased in structural remediation project for a shitty condo complex the manager was alittle thrown back by the way I was going to do things
    the contractor who started the project retired and was old school hand digging holes mixing concrete you name it
    I'm like machines and trucks
    going over safety shit we settle on a man lift too no ladders major costs increases but easier on the workers and safer

Call before you dig!

^^^word.
    I hit my gas line only a few inches underground at my house last year installing a french drain. 1 good hit with my mattock and the loudest hiss was heard everywhere. Had the ems crews at my house in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Re: Trades / Broken Bodies

With advancement of tech and stronger safety standards - these guys aren’t breaking their bodies in the same way they were 20 years ago.

One example …We’re doing a 15,000sf deck pour today and the hose is being dragged by a machine (line dragon) not by humans…

However ironworkers, drywallers, flooring installers - Would be the exception to that….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Youre less likely to be maimed or killed these days for sure.

However, the handful of electricians and plumbers i know all have chronic use injuries in their wrists or elbows or backs. thankfully im a desk jockey because with how sloppy my shoulders are now, theres no way i could do what they do everyday. I sublexed a shoulder brushing my teeth the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Youre less likely to be maimed or killed these days for sure.

However, the handful of electricians and plumbers i know all have chronic use injuries in their wrists or elbows or backs. thankfully im a desk jockey because with how sloppy my shoulders are now, theres no way i could do what they do everyday. I sublexed a shoulder brushing my teeth the other night.
    The handful of software engineers (desk job) I know is the same. Less so with the elbows, but lots of wrist and back problems.

Wonder if they're running ads in Highlights.

I think Matt Gaetz cruises the personals in the back pages.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think Matt Gaetz cruises the personals in the back pages.
    Now that Florida is re-examining what information can be taught in schools, did you know they will only recognize 17 as a prime number, because that's the age Matt Gaetz considers women to be in their prime?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I have noticed that instead of companies doing things like, idk, allowing employees to sit or have longer lunch breaks, they just get bigger Now Hiring signs.

Yeah, that oughta do it! Everyone loves standing on concrete for 8hrs interrupted only by a half hour lunch break and 2 15's. And don't forget the angry customers venting their impotent rage (and rona!) all up in your face.

Ugh, nobody wants to work anymore!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.