Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Antiwork

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/two...emic-1.6577522

and then there are the people who see an opurtoonity, they are working 2 remote jobs for as long as they can ride the wave
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hate to break it to Pete, but that's not new.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/co...go_and_havent/

Name:  Image1663091992.734178.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  47.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If they can fulfill the requirements completely of both jobs, who cares?

It's similar to the traditional person who works two jobs one after the other with very long hours tallyed and shows up exhausted to both of them and maybe doesn't perform 100% as effectively as someone with just one of them.

Do you have to be salaried to be Antiwork, or can folks paid hourly (for all their time) be Antiwork?

I'm confused. Why would it matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The funemployed are really the royalty of anti work.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    . Many of (us) fail to realize how shitty most peoples lives are in this country. I will say that most if not all of these people bring this on themselves by poor life choices. You can all argue that point with me for what it's worth.
    Actually, it's mostly brought on by their PARENT'S poor life choices. Nobody chooses to be born in an area that has low wages, stagnant economy and piss poor public education just like no child chooses to get dragged to church and have their head filled with useless garbage. Sure, its easy to mythologize bootstraping but the reality is very different in a society that will condemn you to poverty if you have bad teeth and a funny accent.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    If they can fulfill the requirements completely of both jobs, who cares?

It's similar to the traditional person who works two jobs one after the other with very long hours tallyed and shows up exhausted to both of them and maybe doesn't perform 100% as effectively as someone with just one of them.
    Well quiting your job is pretty fucking sexy and very in right now, working 2 jobs not so much\
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Do you have to be salaried to be Antiwork, or can folks paid hourly (for all their time) be Antiwork?
    So if you’re an anti work independent contractor does that just make you unemployed?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Sure, its easy to mythologize bootstraping but the reality is very different in a society that will condemn you to poverty if you have bad teeth and a funny accent.
    Not really fair to the English is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Not really fair to the English is it.
    On the one hand, thats fucking hilarious.

On the other hand, having straight teeth and a posh RP accent is the norm for wealthy kids in Britain

Name:  Image1663110205.177534.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  57.5 KB
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The possibility of a railroad strike is in the news but not as much as I would expect. I didn't think it had a chance but Sanders just blocked a GOP proposal to prevent a strike. And, part of congress may be across the pond at a funeral until Monday. The fear-mongering is already ramping up.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Wednesday blocked a Republican request to force railroad workers and companies to accept the recommendations of a nonpartisan panel to avoid a strike that would impact millions of Americans.

Sanders stood up on the floor to block the speedy approval of the resolution — introduced by Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pension Commission Ranking Member Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) — that would require railroad workers to adopt the outlines of a labor deal.

Sanders argued that railroad companies are making huge profits and should start treating their workers more fairly.
    “The rail industry has seen huge profits in recent years and last year alone made a record breaking $20 billion in profit,” Sanders said. “Last year the CEO of CSX made over $20 million in total compensation while the CEOs of Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern made over $40 million each in total compensation.”
    By contrast, Sanders said that workers in the freight rail industry are “entitled to a grand total of zero sick days.”
    GOP senators, however, say their resolution would avoid a “disastrous” rail strike, which could freeze rail travel and freight shipment around the country.
    https://thehill.com/policy/finance/o...t-rail-strike/

For strongly worded letter writers: https://www.congressweb.com/SMART_Transportation/

How fortunate for rail management that congress intervenes. I'm sure that backstop wasn't a factor in negotiations.

I think if congress is going to force workers back from a strike, they should also tax all profits at 100% for the rail companies until a contract is in place.

Fuck the railroads and their (lack of) sick leave policy.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fuck the railroads and their (lack of) sick leave policy.
    They do actually have a sick leave policy, it’s just a little fucked:

https://jabberwocking.com/whos-got-t...ailroad-talks/

And this explains the reason the railroads want to keep it this way:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...ilroading.html

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    They do actually have a sick leave policy, it’s just a little fucked:

https://jabberwocking.com/whos-got-t...ailroad-talks/

And this explains the reason the railroads want to keep it this way:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...ilroading.html
    Left unsaid: Rail workers receive anywhere from 25-39 paid days off already.

24 percent raise, bonuses and capped healthcare.

You do that well this year? Doubt it.

This is a net win for rail workers. Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

Antiwork

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This is a net win for rail workers.
    As always, money isn’t everything — except to the shareholders

Isn’t pto in one pot pretty standard for a lot of companies? They get 5-8 weeks of pto if what AdironRider posted is true. I was reading an article on AP about this and one of their complaints isn’t being able toget time off on short notice after a schedule is posted. This was for things like a child’s birthday or an adult child’s post grad ceremony. I’m not getting time off at the hospital after the schedule is posted unless someone will cover my shift and that’s up to me. The rail workers also have a very good short term disability plan that kicks in after 3(?) days of pto. This type of package is pretty standard in a CBA.

Antiwork

Who needs timely medical care or the ability to call out sick when you get a $1,000 annual bonus. After all, these guys do better than Adironrider does…

Edit to add - I was shocked to see conductors make $40ih dollars per hour. I’d of thought they would be in the $70-90 range. That’s crazy for that job.

You get over two months paid time off?

I’m not complaining about my pay scale, but this narrative that rail workers got screwed with a 24 percent raise, bonuses, and capped health care costs just doesn’t jive with the reality of their new deal.

They are inherently better off, and significantly so, than they were before. That is a good thing for labor.

You get over two months paid time off?

I’m not complaining about my pay scale, but this narrative that rail workers got screwed with a 24 percent raise, bonuses, and capped health care costs just doesn’t jive with the reality of their new deal.

They are inherently better off, and significantly so, than they were before. That is a good thing for labor.
    Frankly, I’m not sure how much time off I get. It’s more than I can justify taking to effectivly lead my group, but I have the flexibility to go do things like ski or MTB without taking time off if my schedule allows. But I’ve never really had to put off medical treatment due to my schedule.

Did you read the articles? The reason they don’t want time off is they have cut workers to the absolute bare minimum so there is no flexibility. This is bad for everyone except Railroad shareholders.

Not exactly left unsaid if you read the first link:

First off, the railroad carriers have agreed to a 24% wage increase over five years (from 2020 to 2024). That sounds pretty good, but I will bore you as usual with my admonition that you should always account for inflation:The solid line is actual inflation. The dashed line is an estimate of future inflation from the Congressional Budget Office. It amounts to 21% over the life of the contract, which means workers are getting a real increase of 3%. That's 0.6% per year. Both sides have agreed to this, but color me unimpressed anyway.¹”

and it talks about current sick leave policy too.

8 of 12 union had agreed to the new contract.

Sick leave that can only be used if you have the foresight to plan on being sick is odd, however they can use personal days for unexpected illnesses.

I’m not arguing for or against them taking the contract, just trying to give context, mainly that the narrative that they don’t get sick time isn’t really true.