Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Would we have discussed Watergate hearings here?

I’m thinking Yes.

It comes down to whether or not you found the Ukraine thread useful. I did and continue to, at least when it’s not mired in personal attacks.

Todays Jan 6 testimony felt like a turning point, but perhaps you feel differently & would rather treat this half-assed coup attempt as something purely political that exists outside of a fact-based news discussion.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

You’re right, I think enough time has past that we can reasonably discuss the Watergate hearings here without getting too deep into the pollyass.

It was a turning point. Charge him with sedition and lock him up.

Watergate was interesting.

If Nixon hadn’t lied and covered up he could have finished his presidency.

Then no Ford. And maybe no carter. And for sure no Ronny raygun. Zap.

PS. Polyass mutherfucker

I'm honestly too busy to keep up with any sort of deep dive into the news anymore outside of headlines/radio updates and no time for a nuanced look into these proceedings.

That and the best thing about the pandemic was that I basically turned off all news entirely and wrote off politics years before that.

Mind giving us know-nothings a synopsis on what happened today?

Thanks,
    I still call it The Jake.

smoking gun testimony has occurred…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ony-takeaways/

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Mind giving us know-nothings a synopsis on what happened today?

Thanks,
    High ranking aide to WH Chief of Staff Mark Meadows testified to the following:

- Trump requested that metal detectors be de-activated/removed so more supporters could watch his speech, and ya know whatever else. "I don’t f***ing care if they have weapons. They’re not here to hurt me. Take the f***ing mags away. Let my people in. They can march to the Capitol from here. Let the people in. Take the f***ing mags away,” (Knew his supporters were armed, and knew some weren't going through security because they didn't want weapons confiscated).
    - Legitimately wanted to go to Capitol (in motorcade) and tried to grab steering wheel of presidential limo, and reached for throat of secret service detail when they physically intervened to take him to WH instead.
    - Guy throws dishes when he's upset lol ("Is that the only time the president threw dishes?")

Biggest one is probably that committee has evidence of witness tampering by people in Trump orbit.

Don't forget the immediate request for pardons the day after.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Don't forget the immediate request for pardons the day after.
    Yeah, we'll see who actually gets indicted, but in any normal universe Mark Meadows is in deep shit.

Will any of this sway the 2/3 or what ever the % is of republicans that bought the big lie?

I am thinking no, it won't.

Way ahead of you lily-livered wankers https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-or-some-fire

And it's surprisingly civilized for PA.

First hand evidence that trump and meadows knew that (his) armed people he encouraged were marching to and eventually had broken into the Capitol and did nothing to stop it for nearly 4 hours.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Way ahead of you lily-livered wankers https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-or-some-fire

And it's surprisingly civilized for PA.
    Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the PR Ukraine thread as a recent example of news oriented thread that stayed in PR rather than getting dumped into the PA forum many here avoid.

Like BMills said above, this forum sometimes works well as a cliff notes news summary machine. Maybe it’s real purpose is cut and pasting of key developments from NYT and wapo or other paywalled sites.
    Last edited by frorider; 06-28-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Like BMills said above, this forum sometimes works well as a cliff notes news summary machine. Maybe it’s real purpose is cut and pasting of key developments from NYT and wapo or other paywalled sites.
    i look at is as a less algorithmic and weirder discovery engine these days.

the notable thing about watergate was not where it was discussed, but whom ended up being convinced and how Nixon support crumbled. I don’t think that dynamic is in play today

Nixon hadn't already gotten away with multiple sexual assault allegations and already been caught on record bragging about it, openly mocking handicapped people, etc.. Nixon was hated by anti war folks but other than that, not so much baggage built up already.

I was young but what I remember was when news of that broke everyone, EVERYONE just shook their heads in disbelief and even the most ardent supporters were instantly NOPE! OUT!. There wasn't any point in talking about it. Everyone was in agreement about Nixon being unfit for office at that point.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Nixon’s first VP resigned in disgrace because he’d accepted cash bribes as governor. By pretty much every objective measure the era was far more tumultuous.

unless you count car horsepower, beer ABV, and weed THC content. Then we way better now

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Nixon’s first VP resigned in disgrace because he’d accepted cash bribes as governor.
    yeah, and his ghost hangs around here too

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nixon hadn't already gotten away with multiple sexual assault allegations and already been caught on record bragging about it, openly mocking handicapped people, etc.. Nixon was hated by anti war folks but other than that, not so much baggage built up already.

I was young but what I remember was when news of that broke everyone, EVERYONE just shook their heads in disbelief and even the most ardent supporters were instantly NOPE! OUT!. There wasn't any point in talking about it. Everyone was in agreement about Nixon being unfit for office at that point.
    Nixon never had the cultlike appeal of Trump, whose endless rhythmic lying causes a large number of people to turn off their brain and discount what they are seeing with their own eyes.

Funny to hear John Dean today say that first thing Nixon said about him was who is this guy, I barely know him or talked to him. Turned out Dean had 37 recorded conversations. So what was the first thing Trump said about Cassidy Hutchinson? I hardly know who she is, etc. Total BS.

Watergate didn’t sink Nixon until late in the game when the secretary blabbed. That was almost 2yrs post break in and after lots of hearings

Nixon proposed universal healthcare. Nixon opened the door to China trade. Nixon took the US off the gold standard.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nixon proposed universal healthcare. Nixon opened the door to China trade. Nixon took the US off the gold standard.
    The first one makes sense. Too bad he couldn’t do it.
    China trade? We got cheap toys. Yay
    Gold standard? Fuck that guy. Money means nothing anymore.

political ships take time to sink…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6313AAE1-EDF8-422B-B4CD-9994AB677DE9.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	420179

Flynn pleading the 5th in video when asked whether he supported peaceful transition of power, and when asked whether he supported the violence of the rioters, was definitely a memorable thing today.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the PR Ukraine thread as a recent example of news oriented thread that stayed in PR rather than getting dumped into the PA forum many here avoid.

Very familiar with the non-PA Ukraine thread and I thank you for that, but the PA Jan 6th commission thread was actually functioning amazingly well. I acknowledge it couldn't last, plus was not frequented by the more fastidious, and appreciate offering this probably more palatable alternative, but .....,. you're still late to the party and overlooking valuable input, ya lily-livered wanker.

Regarding today: seems reasonable to conclude this is part of the strategy to eventually force the likes of Cipollone and Meadows to break ranks
    and fess up to at lest the feds. Ms. Hutchhison's damning testimony re Trumps behavior is only second hand/hearsay, but she nailed those that actually were in direct communication with Trump and they look like fools when compared to the courage of a 26 year old woman.

Flynn pleading the 5th in video when asked whether he supported peaceful transition of power, and when asked whether he supported the violence of the rioters, was definitely a memorable thing today.
    Definitely; he looked like a senile, querulous fool in those videos.