Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where on Dog's green Earth is the Northeast Kingdom?!?!

I say Orleans and Essex counties only. None of this Caledonia county bullshit.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

nobody cares… not even michael.

Wikipedia says you’re wrong. But, nobody cares. Punk.
    Punks like you make me want to vomit

It’s in your head

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I say Orleans and Essex counties only. None of this Caledonia county bullshit.
    Why the vendetta against Caledonia County?

Name:  nvda_map.png
Views: 526
Size:  111.0 KB
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

IMHO this question is far less nebulous than "Upstate" or "North Country" designations. The NEK has always been the 3 county area of northeastern Vermont.

I've seen instances where Morrisville, Cabot, and Montgomery have tried to stake claim in the Kingdom but they technically aren't.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

I should point out that it is often frustrating mentioning the NEK in the Burlington area. I went to grad school at UVM, and whenever I brought up that I was from the NEK, I got reactions like:

Almost like I had somehow managed to escape the ghetto.

I work about an hour due south of the NEK and it is pretty funny seeing the reactions of people when I talk about skiing in Jay. Like I must have to lock my doors and lay low in my seat as I drive through otherwise I might catch the poor disease or something.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I should point out that it is often frustrating mentioning the NEK in the Burlington area. I went to grad school at UVM, and whenever I brought up that I was from the NEK, I got reactions like:

Almost like I had somehow managed to escape the ghetto.
    Well, they weren't wrong. :P

How come there isn't a northwest kingdom in New Hampshire?

Because there is a river protecting NH from Canadians to just walk across the border?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

IMHO this question is far less nebulous than "Upstate" or "North Country" designations. The NEK has always been the 3 county area of northeastern Vermont.

I've seen instances where Morrisville, Cabot, and Montgomery have tried to stake claim in the Kingdom but they technically aren't.
    You forgot Richford, Eden, North Wolcott, North Hyde Park as other border areas that folks like to lump in. Richford is definitely not NEK. Neither are the ones you mentioned.

Border areas are exactly why I take issue. The modern flavor of Hardwick is such that it feels more like Lamoille or Washington County and therefore not NEK. Being the junction of 15 east and 14 north will do that to you. Conversely Eden, North Wolcott, and North Hyde Park aren't that distinguishable from Lowell or Craftsbury Corners.

Peacham feels more like Orange County or the eastern part of Washington County, like Marshfield or Cabot. Danville is way too fancy to be NEK. Groton, Barnet, and Ryegate seem more like Orange County.

However, you can't get more NEK than Kirby, Burke, or Sheffield. Therefore hack off Hardwick, Peacham, Groton, Barnet, and Ryegate, add North Wolcott, and we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday View Post
    Wikipedia says you’re wrong. But, nobody cares. Punk.
    Lots of people think the official sources on Upstate NY are wrong too.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Because compared to VT, NH is upside down and backwards. Corresponding area would be SW NH?

From last week’s expedition skirting along the edges of the NEK. Seemed like the NEK but not enough interactions with the locals to confirm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1656438263.503016.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	420153

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Because compared to VT, NH is upside down and backwards. Corresponding area would be SW NH?
    SW NH is nothing like the NEK in both good ways and bad. Personally, I never wanted to live in NH because most of the people I met (Lakes Region mostly) seemed like escaped Massholes. Unfortunately, the tax structure in VT drove us east over the river. I actually spoke to Gov. Phil Scott (he's from Barre!) about Vermont taxing retired military pensions (it's the only state north of the Mason-Dixon line to do so) and he said he wanted to eliminate that but couldn't get the legislature to even bring it up for a vote. SW NH is pretty nice.

Peacham feels more like Orange County or the eastern part of Washington County, like Marshfield or Cabot. Danville is way too fancy to be NEK. Groton, Barnet, and Ryegate seem more like Orange County.
    10 years ago we would have gladly given Hardwick away. However, the beer/cheese scene there has made it more attractive. The problem is that it is on the other side of Walden heights and no one likes making that drive. There has certainly been a trend closer to being able to rename the "tooth brush" there.
    Some parts of Danville/Peacham are certainly the swankier southern tracts of the NEK but get much off the beaten path in those towns and they get right back to pure NEK.
    Barnet is too closely tied with St Johnsbury and too far north to be considered "Upper Valley" to be hacked off. So it stays. Spending a day at the Harvey's Lake beach doesn't feel that much different from going to Newark Pond or Lake Seymour.
    The Rt 302 corridor through Groton and Ryegate certainly make them feel like they are too far south and therefore could easily be dropped from the NEK.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    There is. It’s called Moronia.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Burke is in the NEK?

That’s kinda south.

What’s the southern border? Does it go all the way to Cannon?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Burke is in the NEK?
    Yes
    That’s kinda south.
    If your from Canada

What’s the southern border? Does it go all the way to Mexico?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    There is. It’s called Moronia.
    The fact that you describe Hardwick as having a scene, of any kind, is proof that it no longer belongs in the NEK. And that it is hard to get to from the NEK, unless you're in Greensboro, is further proof.

Please take North Wolcott. Please. Groton should be in Orange County. I'll be doing the VT15/US2 traverse of the NEK tomorrow on my way to Fredericton, NB. Hardwick and Danville are huge speed traps.

I'll be doing the VT15/US2 traverse of the NEK tomorrow on my way to Fredericton, NB. Hardwick and Danville are huge speed traps.
    WTF is in N Wolcott?

As long as you drive one of these in the NEK (add more rust and no muffler) and the cops won't even see you.
    Name:  077CCD72-6836-415E-AAED-F7A130741CB3-800x600.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  77.8 KB

The fact that you describe Hardwick as having a scene, of any kind, is proof that it no longer belongs in the NEK. And that it is hard to get to from the NEK, unless you're in Greensboro, is further proof.
    With that criteria, Jay should probably get the heave too. And Burke (MTB "scene")

If your from Canada
    This is an irregular reminder that Toronto- where many Canadians live - is south of places in the states including Jay Peak

With that criteria, Jay should probably get the heave too. And Burke (MTB "scene")
    West Burke (junction of 5 and 5a is all NEK). Unless it too has developed a scene in the last 30 years. Please tell me it's still the same.

WTF is in N Wolcott?

As long as you drive one of these in the NEK (add more rust and no muffler) and the cops won't even see you.
    Name:  077CCD72-6836-415E-AAED-F7A130741CB3-800x600.jpeg
Views: 413
Size:  77.8 KB
    Driving the Highlander. I'm screwed.