Shock upgrade questions

I got a Tallboy 4 in April with a Fox Float DPS Performance shock. Thinking of replacing it with a Float DPS Factory to get some compression damping control. If my LBS orders a new shock is there anything I need to consider in terms of how it's tuned? Does it make any difference that the new shock didn't come OEM from Santa Cruz? Is this even enough of an upgrade to make sense?
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Same bike…. However have a rockshox ultimate on it and never rode with the original float.

If it were me I’d personally get something with a piggy back reservoir for those longer descents.

If it’s worth it will depend on you. I assume it isn’t cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Throw the code into fox tech help and it will tell you the valving. Although it's a little tricky to decode. post it here and people can probably help you figure it out. Mine for example is:

190, 45, 0.8 Spacer, LCF, LRM, CMF

Which means 190x45mm, 0.8in^2 volume spacer (which I swapped for 0.4), Linear Compression Firm, Linear Rebound Medium, Closed Mode Firm

I have my float dps on the way to fox right now after it broke and I need to ask them about swapping the linear compression valving to digressive one as I assume it will generate more low speed force and give better pedaling support.

On my fork I went from standard grip to a fit 4 and definitely like having that LSC dial. The grip in open felt like it basically had no compression damping at all so I ran it in trail most of the time but then that was harsh on rougher trails.

I also should have added I greatly enjoy this bike… still getting fully setup but I really like it. Added some psi in the shock tonight and will see how that goes tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Throw the code into fox tech help and it will tell you the valving. Although it's a little tricky to decode. post it here and people can probably help you figure it out. Mine for example is:

190, 45, 0.8 Spacer, LCF, LRM, CMF

Which means 190x45mm, 0.8in^2 volume spacer (which I swapped for 0.4), Linear Compression Firm, Linear Rebound Medium, Closed Mode Firm

I have my float dps on the way to fox right now after it broke and I need to ask them about swapping the linear compression valving to digressive one as I assume it will generate more low speed force and give better pedaling support.

On my fork I went from standard grip to a fit 4 and definitely like having that LSC dial. The grip in open felt like it basically had no compression damping at all so I ran it in trail most of the time but then that was harsh on rougher trails.
    So I should put the code from my current shock into the Fox tech help, get the specs and have the new shock set up that way?

Ok, so here is what comes up when I put the serial # in the Fox help center:

190, 45, 0.4 spacer, LCM, LRL01, CML

That is what I should ask that the new shock be tuned to, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Ok, so here is what comes up when I put the serial # in the Fox help center:

190, 45, 0.4 spacer, LCM, LRL01, CML

That is what I should ask that the new shock be tuned to, correct?
    Those are factory settings (internal parts), so if you wanted the new shock to be the same as the old shock, you'd look for the new one to have the same specs. If you can buy it off the shelf with those same specs, you wouldn't need it tuned aftermarket.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well it's more getting a replacement that's at least somewhat similar. Like yours has "Linear Rebound Low", so a firm rebound tuned shock would maybe not be ideal. But medium probably fine. Or if you have your rebound turned way up a firmer shock might actually be better. You also have "Closed mode light" and if you'd rather have a stiffer lockout then you'd also be fine with CMF or something. And there's an adjuster knob, and you can change spacers, so not the end of the world if it's not exact.

While mine is in for repairs I'm having them swap the compression damping to digressive in the hopes of getting a little more pedaling support when the shock isn't closed. Guy at fox basically said "yeah that'll probably help although it won't be a huge difference"

Im gonna go out and say it, but I feel like the more you mess with stuff like this the more issues you have trying to dial it in. If you can find the exact tune with a piggy back go for it, but add 2 clicks of compression isn't going to make that much of a difference. If you feel the shock is holding you back on big long descents, sure, but for most of us guys thats not normally the case.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Well it's more getting a replacement that's at least somewhat similar. Like yours has "Linear Rebound Low", so a firm rebound tuned shock would maybe not be ideal. But medium probably fine. Or if you have your rebound turned way up a firmer shock might actually be better. You also have "Closed mode light" and if you'd rather have a stiffer lockout then you'd also be fine with CMF or something. And there's an adjuster knob, and you can change spacers, so not the end of the world if it's not exact.

While mine is in for repairs I'm having them swap the compression damping to digressive in the hopes of getting a little more pedaling support when the shock isn't closed. Guy at fox basically said "yeah that'll probably help although it won't be a huge difference"
    Thanks for the explanation of all that.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Im gonna go out and say it, but I feel like the more you mess with stuff like this the more issues you have trying to dial it in. If you can find the exact tune with a piggy back go for it, but add 2 clicks of compression isn't going to make that much of a difference. If you feel the shock is holding you back on big long descents, sure, but for most of us guys thats not normally the case.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think this is trying to hard to acheive probably not a lot.

Ok, got the new shock. Here are the specs on the stock one and the new one:

Stock: 190, 45, 0.4 spacer, LCM, LRL01, CML

New: 190, 45, 0.4 spacer, LCM, LRM, CFM

Linear rebound is low on the stock, medium on the new, but I don't know what the 01 after LRL on the stock shock means.

CML closed mode on the stock means a light closed mode? CMF on the new one means a firmer closed mode, correct?

Love the yin/yang of the last 2 posts. Good luck on dialing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Love the yin/yang of the last 2 posts. Good luck on dialing it in.
    I know, I'm bouncing around on this one. The LBS is willing to put the shock on and let me try it with no obligation, which is awesome of them. Figure it's worth a try, but the tunes are different enought that it may not be worth it unless I get the new shock tuned like the old one, or decide to try it as is. Not sure how to interpret the numbers, but seems like it will be firmer in both linear rebound and closed mode.