Which MTB Shoe Am I?

I'm looking for a good MTB shoe that fits the following criteria:

- Clipless compatible
    - Flat style or at least good for short hike-a-bike sections
    - Not ugly as sin, preferably comes in a cool color that's not black
    - Relatively light (400-500g)

I've got a pair of Giro Chamber II that I really like, but on long rides (20-25 miles, 3k+) they start to feel heavy and can get hot. I'm looking at the Specialized Rime 2.0, but I see mixed reviews... and I'd rather not buy Specialized.

If you like Chamber 2, you will like Ventana. Built with the same shank and last, but much lighter weight and more breathable.

I think they are just a bit over 500g, but Ride Concepts Tallac clips might fit the bill?

I haven't used them yet for long rides so put an asterisk there, but I'm really liking my Endura MT500 Burners. I can only compare to the 5.10 Maltese Falcon (and 5.10 flats) that I had previously but they are lighter, more comfortable, more breathable, more cleat adjustment, hike-a-bike better, and come with an insole that's not worthless.

PEARL iZUMi X-Alp Summit
    https://www.rei.com/product/176824/p...sku=1768240005

Been pretty happy with these this year so far.

Specialized sucks but they make the best cycling shoes on the market, it’s been that way for 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Specialized sucks but they make the best cycling shoes on the market, it’s been that way for 15 years
    Yeah I've had 3 pair of the Spesh and IME they fit narrow in the heels/ wide in front which is my foot exactly

edit : i have had 2 pair of shimano and they just do not fit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I haven't used them yet for long rides so put an asterisk there, but I'm really liking my Endura MT500 Burners. I can only compare to the 5.10 Maltese Falcon (and 5.10 flats) that I had previously but they are lighter, more comfortable, more breathable, more cleat adjustment, hike-a-bike better, and come with an insole that's not worthless.
    Hmmm, these look pretty sweet.

The Burners are okay but I wish they were stiffer. The Specialized 2FO DH is my current favorite in that class of shoe.

IME most “skate style” mtb shoes hike like shit, clipless or flat…. You should probably drop the “not ugly as sin” criteria and just get an ugly clipless shoe with a chunky tread. Every brand makes them because they work; Shimano ME5/7, PI X Alp, Spec Recon, etc…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    The Burners are okay but I wish they were stiffer.
    I would agree that they are not particularly stiff. I come from flats so I prefer that feel but I can definitely see how many would find them too soft. I would say they are stiffer than my Freerider Contact flats and just a hair softer than the Maltese Falcon, FWIW.

Another vote for the Pearl Izumi x-alp. I use a pair for bikepacking, stiff enough for long days of pedaling, soft enough for miles of hiking.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’m pretty happy with my x-alps as well. Nice fit decent soles and the boas are easy to adjust. Could be a bit stiffer for XC rides but that would sacrifice walking.

I’m getting Lakes next. Maybe the 238
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I'm betting all you dentists are gona buy these shoes on-line but I go to a spesh dealer just to try/buy shoes period

even tho I know its a really bad dealer never mind that its a spesh dealer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    IME most “skate style” mtb shoes hike like shit, clipless or flat….
    Agreed with this. A shoe that hikes well really just needs a good heel pocket, and skate style shoes almost never have that.

That said, I wear bike shoes to ride bikes, not hike. Good skate style shoes have much better toe and ankle protection than any of the "trail" style bike shoes. Personally, I'd take foot protection over hike-ability since I smash my foot into stuff semi often and I hike in bike shoes pretty rarely, and if I do have to hike it's usually pretty short.

I've ridden a lot of them and on Kestral's, the PI's, but the Shimano ME7 is the best in my book.

I find the Kestral's too heavy and Bulky,
    The PI's are too soft (but great for bike-packing / hike-a-bike).
    While I love Specialzied XC shoes, their trail shoes don't jive with me. Recon's are too XC orientated. Rime is too bulky.

The ME7's are the perfect blend of stiff enough on the bike that my feet don't get sore with rough descending but secure and grippy enough off the bike that Hike a bike feels secure on dirt and rocks.

Bump for an update... I ended up getting some Mavic XA Matryx from the Pros Closet, and so far so good. Great fit, definitely way lighter than my Giro Chamber IIs, and so far they feel just as stiff. I even got a little hike-a-biking in this morning and they have decent grip on loose, shitty rocks.

My only nitpick is the tightening system isn't the best, it's similar to the Salomon one but is in an awkward position with the velcro strap. I may just cut it out and replace it with laces eventually, but it's really not a huge deal.

There was a deal on Mavic stuff last week so I got these for around $75 shipped: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-red-orange-10

Which MTB Shoe Am I?

Interesting that “not ugly as sin” was a criteria and you ended up with those

Next time maybe gut be worth looking at these too. I ride the flats version and like it.

https://rideconcepts.com/collections...-s-tallac-clip

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Next time maybe gut be worth looking at these too. I ride the flats version and like it.

https://rideconcepts.com/collections...-s-tallac-clip
    Those are just as heavy as my Giro Chamber II, unfortunately.

Hey, you said 4-500g and the RC's come in at 500. But, yeah, if the Mavic's are lite and fit, cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I've ridden a lot of them but the Shimano ME7 is the best in my book.
    The ME7's are the perfect blend of stiff enough on the bike that my feet don't get sore with rough descending but secure and grippy enough off the bike that Hike a bike feels secure on dirt and rocks.
    2X
    Actually, now the ME702
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quick update on the Mavic XA Matryx shoes... they kick ass. Super light, fairly stiff, and comfortable to do some hiking in. No complaints after ~20 days of riding which includes park, super rowdy BC downhill, and even some singlespeeding.