Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

E Bike for Access

I don’t think a 15k snowmobile is in the picture for me, but I have been thinking about getting an e bike for spring access to roads that are mostly cleared but still closed.

Anyone have any experience with approaches on e bikes?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    I don’t think a 15k snowmobile is in the picture for me, but I have been thinking about getting an e bike for spring access to roads that are mostly cleared but still closed.

Anyone have any experience with approaches on e bikes?

I mean, if all you want is access roads, you probably don't need to spend even close to 15k for a sled. You probably can grab something used for about the same price as an ebike that would meet your needs.

Or maybe just a buddy with an ebike

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

we tried to tandem our e-cargo bike this spring and it was unbalanced, crazy wobbbly and ultimate terrifying. Solo woulda been great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1656259042.725190.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	419934

People have been using regular bikes for approaches for as long as I've been skiing, what is special about e bikes that requires new questions?

Yes, it can work well, and yes, it should be easier than on a regular bike.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

people will be more likely to hate you ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ftr if you end up skiing a 4k ft 60⁰ coulie its still cheating

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

It seems like all the skimo dads in the Wasatch have ebikes, they look super functional especially for getting up roads that would be too steep to ride up on a regular MTB carrying skis, (mineral fork, squaw peak, cardiff, etc). I've been dreaming about an e-fatbike for getting up packed snow covered roads, I wonder how functional they are on different snow surfaces. A big bonus is that they don't require a truck to get to the trailhead vs a snowmobile.

I heard that ebikes had taken over the maroon bells parking lot since they instituted the reservation system
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

you ^^ probably want one of the fat tired E-bikes with a hub mtr

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I heard that ebikes had taken over the maroon bells parking lot since they instituted the reservation system

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	419973

Wasn’t too bad in March.

I've done plenty of voile strapping for bike access but I really want to make something that is simple and elegant and works with the toe pins to hold the skis. Anybody got any ideas? I think I'm going to bump my old thread on the topic and see if the community has any ideas.

Keep in mind that you need to carry boots too, and they will go best in the toe pins.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    we tried to tandem our e-cargo bike this spring and it was unbalanced, crazy wobbbly and ultimate terrifying. Solo woulda been great
    Worked well for me and buddy on a similar looking bike this spring. Both of us had skis A framed and his bike has foot rests for the passenger - maybe that's the key. Felt a bit like dumb & dumber.

This is the kind of thread where you either know how it's going to work, or you don't... and then you kind of give up.

If you don't know how this is going to work, how frustrating it's going to be, you'd start a thread asking how good of an idea it is.

If you do know how miserable it's going to be, the thread would be-- Share your advice for eBike approaches. Which is what this has turned into.

Therefore--
    1) the road is going to suck way more than you anticipate.
    2) not being able to afford a snowmobile is not an excuse to buy an eBike. They are not the same tool.
    3) Choose your line & approach route. Then choose our tool.
    4) This is TGR. You should buy an eBike, build out your quiver of approach tools, and keep skiing cool shit.

I once bought four sets of chains for 33" tires on a '72 Blazer that I used to 'paddle' my way up logging roads in Montana to ski cool shit. So, this can be done. But a bit of pain is to be anticipated.

Hub drive or mid drive make that much difference? Price difference seems significant

Bwaaaaa! Shredhead wins the thread
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I know I’m thread drifting here but I still envision a wood block that is drilled to click into toe pieces and allows skis to go roughly along the top tube or maybe X frame or a frame style. This was my solution in years past but I’ve never loved it. I think boots I can sometimes wear from the house, or sling over my pack, or for long approaches I put them in panniers.

Name:	Image1656334982.615307.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	420025

Name:	IMG_7751.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	420028

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Hub drive or mid drive make that much difference? Price difference seems significant

They are out there but you don't see many mid drive E-fat bikes and they are more money

BUT you could get a cheap fat E-bike delivered to your door for way less $,

I would pay attention to wheel size/ tires and the abilty to get repalcements, I think the bikes with the small tires might be more of a probelm

edit: on further deliberation ( on the john) YOU NEED STUDS

riding a Fat bike on a few inches of fluffy fresh snow is fun and traction is not bad but you will more likely be riding up and down shitty refrozen snow so make sure you can stud the tires that come with your chinesium FAT BIKE or can get already studded tires for it, studs are expensive but its the key to traction on shit snow & ice
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-27-2022 at 11:26 AM.

If you're climbing steepish roads, mid-drive with cassette gearing enables way more wheel torque than a hub motor. I went with a cheap hub motor kit, and it's at full throttle climbing dry, paved mountain roads. A second motor kit would help, but a mid-drive would really make a difference.

I may be confusing things I haven't taken the time to understand, but I believe my buddy's setup is a Yuba Kombi with a Luna mid-drive kit. Seems like a good option to get the bike you want and not be limited to manufacturer specced drive options.

If the road is clear up to a well defined snow line, then sure, an ebike will work great. But if it's like most of the spring roads I've been on where it's clear for a while but then turns into a couple miles of slush patches before you hit skin-able snow, an ebike can kinda suck. The only thing worse than pushing a bike through slushy snow is pushing a 70 pound ebike through slushy snow.

Yeah fat bikes in slush don't work as well as you think they would. But still better than a mountain bike.

If you don't care about modern geometry and the use case is transportation and function, these guys make a mid drive fat bike...

https://www.voltbike.com/yukon-core.html
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I use my hub drive fat e-bike (the hub drive version of that ^^ Yukon in fact) for access and ski hill commuting.

I have rigged a little plate that holds the tip of the skis on the head tube. The tails rest on my rack, and the bindings are out of the way behind my seatpost. It works pretty good. Boots go in the panniers.

Pushing a 70 lb e-bike does suck. The thing is, if it has a throttle, it will push itself, even while carrying your gear... so it evens out. The down is made faster even if you have to walk the bike up some sections (which I usually do).

Just did a 20 km mission yesterday (no skis) and half of it was with or on the bike. Made it totally a casual afternoon in the mountains.

Cool thanks for the help, any thoughts on minimum amount of watts, and have you had cold temps drain your battery while out touring?