Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    On a regular fatbike studded true 5" tires (pretty much only johnny 5s and vee snowshoe xxls) make a bid difference on what is rideable. Anything soft is still a ton of work though.

I've thought about buying used/cheap fatbike with 100mm rims and clearance for Johnny 5's and sticking a powerfull bafang or cyc x1 pro mid drive conversion kit and biggest battery I wanted to pay for on there with a throttle for ski access.

I rode up the ski out to town which was pretty much a packed piste on my bullit with unstudded 2.3 Maxxis, the EP8 is plenty of motor so the time it took for the distance was impressive but at some point i ran out of traction and had to come down which was sketch but I only slid out/ went down once

if you really wana do this right you need studs IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Cool thanks for the help, any thoughts on minimum amount of watts, and have you had cold temps drain your battery while out touring?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have a hub drive conversion kit on my fat bike and if you still want to pedal so you are using low assist levels, you will get a lot of range even in the cold.

I have a 15AHr battery on a 750w hub drive motor that I usually don't put in assist level over 2 (out of 9). I'm pretty sure I'd get 90 or 100km out of that battery at that assist level.

Less so if you want more juice.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Was considering an E-bike for the same thing in rural Idaho. Went dirt bike and definitely don’t regret it. Easier to leave it at the end of a random dirt road and not have someone ride off on it
    Last edited by camlax; 07-01-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Anybody selling a good ebike rack for a sled? I don't want to have to push my bike through snow, but don't have the guts to blow my eco cover and go full sled.

E Bike for Access

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    I know I’m thread drifting here but I still envision a wood block that is drilled to click into toe pieces and allows skis to go roughly along the top tube or maybe X frame or a frame style. This was my solution in years past but I’ve never loved it. I think boots I can sometimes wear from the house, or sling over my pack, or for long approaches I put them in panniers.
    Ok here’s my version 1 solution. I need to start my own thread and probably will but wanted to update this one. Should work with any rack and bike. Also applicable to Ebikes.

Last pic shows how they can rotate in two planes to allow for easy on/off the binding pins. Voile strap and a block of foam for the front, nothing rubs the frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1656901678.653493.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	420621

Name:	IMG_3187.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	420622

Name:	IMG_3188.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	420623

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I rode homemade studs on my front tire all through college winter.
    Sheet metal screws pointing out to the sides.
    Saves your ass when the wheel skips out sideways on ice.

I found/ bought GF a set of schwalble ice spiker pro's from chain reaction, i forget the time line but they were not so expensive at the time, they have one stud in every knob, on a 26" mtnbike. There was an out door skating rink down the block so the test ride was on a skating rink and the traction was amazing with just a mtnbike tire on pure ice

riding up a trail to the skiing could be any kind of shitty smoo so i think studs for ice and Fat tires for float in snow would be the best tractio

depending on the tire the icespikers could have > 400 studs, store bought studs are expensive to retro fit into a tire and you have to sacrifice the tire, a homehack job might be the ticket but I have no experiance doing it

edit: I have never used a bike for ski acess but maybe all thats needed is a set of ice spiker pros ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 07-07-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think that riding back at the end of the day when the snow is slushy is the biggest problem.

The the access makes a lot of sense on dry dirt or dry roads that are closed to cars.

I've done it a few times, and most times i carried skis and boots on my backpack. No big deal.

Riding singletrack though is sketchy

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Name:	IMG_7299.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	692.8 KB 
ID:	420925

That rear rack setup looks way too wide to pedal. I also had a crash once with skis hanging off the back like that as it makes it hard to hop off when you grind to a hault in soft snow. Old pic but I've found sticking skis off the front with a couple of voile straps to be simple and work pretty well.

Check out Terrene and 45north for studed tires. They both make everything from 5" fat bike tires to studded mountain bike tires to commuter tires. They aren't cheap but they make sheet ice totally rideable.