Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715

    WTB : Toyota Tundra Double Cab

    Kinda a longshot here and I'm pretty well aware of that...

    I'm looking to buy a Toyota Tundra (second generation) with a 6.5 foot bed and a double cab. Ideally a more basic trim / build. Hoping for the cheaper side of things so something with some miles would be fine. Ideally something 6-12 years old with 100-150 thousand miles. I picked up a used Four Wheel Camper Hawk and now need to get a truck that it'll fit on.

    I'm located in Western CO but I'd be happy to travel to pickup the right vehicle. There are a few on Craiglist so I'm not really looking for links to local listings, just wondering if someone within the TRG community is selling. I might also just wait a few months and see if the floor falls out from under the used car market...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Banff
    Posts
    21,687
    I'm in alberta, and looking for a taco for a while (current 2006 is 460,000km) hoping the oil crash, or covid, or something will cause lower prices. Nope: Seems to be going the other way.

    Hope it will come down in a few years, but its been 3+ years of solid stable, high prices on used.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    Unfortunately my confidence that used car prices will drop 'soon' is pretty low. It seems 'possible' but it might take longer than a few months and prices might still climb in the meantime. Tundra's seem to depreciate a bit more than Tacoma's but it's still not quick.

    Hard to guess what do... but I'll hope the right car pops up. Little tricky with the camper as there really are only 1-2 body styles that are 'okay' from a payload level.

    Good luck on your search!

    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I'm in alberta, and looking for a taco for a while (current 2006 is 460,000km) hoping the oil crash, or covid, or something will cause lower prices. Nope: Seems to be going the other way.

    Hope it will come down in a few years, but its been 3+ years of solid stable, high prices on used.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,039
    I am curious what your other option that would work with the camper is. I do have a 2010 4.6 Double Cab with 136k on it I will sell at some point this summer but am way up in Whitefish. It even has Timbren bump stops and camper mounts on it, though you may just bolt yours down I am betting. Its a decent rig but I would trade it for an f150 just for the added fuel compacity if that worked for your application.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,417
    I have been looking for 6months for something similar, have come up completely dry. I actually reserved a new 2022 tundra and if used prices are still crazy when I get to the top of that list, will be buying new for the first time ever. Just cannot stomach spending 40k on a 5+ yr old 100k+ mile truck when a brand new one is only 10k more expensive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    Yep! I'm in the exact same boat... I can get a 2022 in a few weeks actually but really really don't love the idea of buying something new. I work from home and my wife bikes to work. We'll have one fuel efficient car so this will really only get driven for trips and I don't need a $50K vehicle sitting around for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    I have been looking for 6months for something similar, have come up completely dry. I actually reserved a new 2022 tundra and if used prices are still crazy when I get to the top of that list, will be buying new for the first time ever. Just cannot stomach spending 40k on a 5+ yr old 100k+ mile truck when a brand new one is only 10k more expensive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    Ehh I'm just kinda Toyota biased. I know the F150's drive much better but reliability is kinda my top priority.

    I'll shoot you a PM. A trip to Whitefish could be worthwhile.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I am curious what your other option that would work with the camper is. I do have a 2010 4.6 Double Cab with 136k on it I will sell at some point this summer but am way up in Whitefish. It even has Timbren bump stops and camper mounts on it, though you may just bolt yours down I am betting. Its a decent rig but I would trade it for an f150 just for the added fuel compacity if that worked for your application.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    18,813
    I buddy here in Bozeman may have his Tundra up for sale. Know more when he gets back from Mayo clinic.

    Its a 2016 with about 130K, double cab with work truck interior, excellent stereo.

    Downside it it came with a 17.5 gal. tank.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,923
    I'll be the one that says it, if you are buying a rig to be a dedicated camper hauler, skip to a 3/4 ton or you'll almost certainly be over GVWR in a tundra, and will get the same MPG.

    I'm not saying the tundra won't do okay, just that if I was buying a truck specifically to haul a camper, why mess around with a 1/2 ton?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'll be the one that says it, if you are buying a rig to be a dedicated camper hauler, skip to a 3/4 ton or you'll almost certainly be over GVWR in a tundra, and will get the same MPG.

    I'm not saying the tundra won't do okay, just that if I was buying a truck specifically to haul a camper, why mess around with a 1/2 ton?
    If you are planning to 4wheel around in it (and I would/do with a camper like a 4WC Hawk) then I'd rather have the smaller truck. That's why I have the Access Cab rather than a Double Cab though.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,923
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    If you are planning to 4wheel around in it (and I would/do with a camper like a 4WC Hawk) then I'd rather have the smaller truck. That's why I have the Access Cab rather than a Double Cab though.
    Fair point, I would too. Though I assumed since the OP said 6-12 years old he was looking at 2nd gen Tundras.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Fair point, I would too. Though I assumed since the OP said 6-12 years old he was looking at 2nd gen Tundras.
    He is asking for a 2nd gen, but those still wheel better than a 2500 event though they're a little big. I guess I forgot than on 2nd gens the "Double Cab" is the extended cab not the crew cab.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    You're probably not wrong here. I've read this quite a few places and I may well regret this in the future.

    I did pickup a used Hawk... once the jacks are pulled off and I strip a little weight it'll be in the 1100LBS Range. My wife and I are like 260 combined which helps but we'll definitely need to be smart about weight to keep close to payload. We'll probably do airbags and a few other small modifications to help out.

    I think the goal is the smallest truck it's reasonable to haul the Hawk on. Hence the smallest available cab size on the Tundra.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'll be the one that says it, if you are buying a rig to be a dedicated camper hauler, skip to a 3/4 ton or you'll almost certainly be over GVWR in a tundra, and will get the same MPG.

    I'm not saying the tundra won't do okay, just that if I was buying a truck specifically to haul a camper, why mess around with a 1/2 ton?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    Truck stuff aside... hope your buddy is okay. Let me know if he decides to sell it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I buddy here in Bozeman may have his Tundra up for sale. Know more when he gets back from Mayo clinic.

    Its a 2016 with about 130K, double cab with work truck interior, excellent stereo.

    Downside it it came with a 17.5 gal. tank.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,923
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I guess I forgot than on 2nd gens the "Double Cab" is the extended cab not the crew cab.
    Ah, that's an important point, I was thinking crew cab also. That helps in the size and payload category significantly.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    169
    Just went through the truck search for a camper and ended up buying a 2021 F150 V8 Supercrew 6.5box, payload is at 2135 (https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2021/brochures/) (you can also get a made to order supercrew 6.5box with a ~2600lb payload). The F150 gets 500+ more in payload compared to a similar model tundra and ram. We are putting a Kimbo in the bed (~1k lbs wet) and added airbags to suspension. You also get more bang with LT tires. Finding a truck/camper combo is an adventure with navigating gear/kid hauling/GVWR/used truck prices.
    .
    fingers crossed for Bozeman dude.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Don't worry about GVWR and payload for a Hawk in a Tundra. There are so many who run it successfully (toyota's payload ratings are way conservative, believing what they put on the sticker is silly) including myself, that it's quite proven, and even FWC recommends it. Obviously I wouldn't go as far to say you can put a hard sided camper that's 1500-2000+ lbs on it, but a Hawk is plenty fine. Just get upgraded suspension, bags (or timbrens, I like bags for adjustability), and at least D rated tires and it'll treat you well.

    Mine gets so many places that a long/giant 3/4 ton truck won't, that's for damn sure. Honestly makes me laugh that people get that big of a truck and put a FWC camper on it, only to use it at easy access camping or campgrounds. I like to camp where I only see Jeeps.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1,020.2 KB 
ID:	419766

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Don't worry about GVWR and payload for a Hawk in a Tundra. There are so many who run it successfully (toyota's payload ratings are way conservative, believing what they put on the sticker is silly) including myself, that it's quite proven, and even FWC recommends it. Obviously I wouldn't go as far to say you can put a hard sided camper that's 1500-2000+ lbs on it, but a Hawk is plenty fine. Just get upgraded suspension, bags (or timbrens, I like bags for adjustability), and at least D rated tires and it'll treat you well.
    This. It's fine even on a first gen

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0742.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	419770

    (Mine's an Outfitter Caribou Lite, which weighs about the same as a Hawk)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    1,422
    Ive used sumo springs on the rear of my tundra for the past two truck versions. The mid grade spring (black) is good for most if not all consumer applications. No adjustment tho. I typically air up or down the E rated tires as needed to improve ride quality.

    The main benefit of sumo is no maintenance required and no chance of failure while tripping.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Yep! I'm in the exact same boat... I can get a 2022 in a few weeks actually but really really don't love the idea of buying something new. I work from home and my wife bikes to work. We'll have one fuel efficient car so this will really only get driven for trips and I don't need a $50K vehicle sitting around for that.
    Basically my identical situation & the identical conundrum. Unfortunately my existing old car has some fuckery with the ABS module that will cost more to fix then the total cars value, so I gave myself until the fall to figure this out but cannot push back another year or two and let things settle out.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,677
    Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Ive used sumo springs on the rear of my tundra for the past two truck versions. The mid grade spring (black) is good for most if not all consumer applications. No adjustment tho. I typically air up or down the E rated tires as needed to improve ride quality.

    The main benefit of sumo is no maintenance required and no chance of failure while tripping.
    I can concur. I installed the yellow 2800lbs sumos on my 1500 early last summer, and have had no issues, with improved handling & towing a 5000lbs trailer, and truck at max GVWR. Would install again. Load range E tires as well.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Evergreen Co
    Posts
    715
    Good insights on the Sumo Springs and utilization of a Tundra. This is a new world for me so I'm learning what I can as I'm going. Tips are appreciated!

    The 4 Wheel Camper I picked up is actually a hardsided Hawk. I think it's about 100LBS heavier than the pop up variation. I think they only made these for a year or two. Pretty stoked for the final product. I'll get some photos up once I have the full setup put together.

    The basic plan has been to find ways to slightly stiffen the rear suspension then add E rated tires. I've had 1-2 people mention vehicles that might be for sale... if anyone else has a vehicle they're selling or a friend is selling reach out!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The basic plan has been to find ways to slightly stiffen the rear suspension then add E rated tires.
    Best way is going to depend on whether the camper is going to live on the truck full time or not.

    You can do some combination of add-a-leaf, custom leaf pack, shocks, airbags, sumo springs, etc. depending on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

    If the camper is going to be on and off the truck, airbags are pretty much mandatory. Otherwise you'll get a mediocre ride all the time or a horrible ride half the time, but never a good ride all the time. The main downsides of airbags are 1) they can leak over time and require checking up on periodically 2) they can burst and fail and 3) they limit articulation off-road. I personally run airbags with Daystar cradles (for less reduction in articulation) plus an add-a-leaf (and larger tires) because I sometimes do truck stuff that requires the bed. I vary the pressure in the airbags depending on how much weight I have in the bed. I also run E-rated Duratracs.

    The no compromise, camper always on option would be a full custom leaf pack and shock valving specific to the weight of your camper done by an exeperienced 4x4 shop. A buddy has this on his 2nd gen Tundra/FWC Hawk and is STOKED on it. It was not cheap but he says the ride quality is light years better than anything else he's tried.

    I haven't tried the Sumo springs but they look like basically a non-adjustable, decoupled airbag. I bet they work great for what they are and they are pretty affordable.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Shuswap Highlands
    Posts
    3,677
    Absolutely. My 03 Tacoma has a beefed up springpack and carries my 700lbs sled with wood platform deck full time almost like the sled isnít there (except the centre of gravity and front suspension implications of course). Running the taco without weight in the summer can make my moobs hurt on potholed roads. Upgrade depends heavily on application.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,923
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    The 4 Wheel Camper I picked up is actually a hardsided Hawk. I think it's about 100LBS heavier than the pop up variation. I think they only made these for a year or two. Pretty stoked for the final product. I'll get some photos up once I have the full setup put together.

    The one on the front range? You beat me to it ya bastard! Lol glad it went to someone that's going to use it for cool shit!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •