Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Wow, it's almost like I asked who's mother makes a better apple pie.

There is clearly no one answer.

I have followed most of the links provided and have gone down the rabbit hole on both locales. Many hotels are already booked (both bobinch's Zermatt rec and Buster's Mt-Lodge rec).

Staying in Zermatt is expensive. I haven't found much < $400/ night. I've never paid that in my life (incl. honeymoon). Wifey's idea of anniversary trip doesn't include a hostel . Any more recs or hookups? Maybe I'll have to suck it up and spend the 400 bucks/night. I can't imagine there not being good skiing within the gazillion acres of Zermatt. What's it going to cost to hire Rudy to show me where to ski?

Personally, I like the Andermatt option. I also hate being around more that a few people at any single time. There seems to be several options in Sedrun or Dissentis that are 200-250/night. (any recommendations beyond mt-lodge?) I'd imagine that $150/day savings (plus lift ticket savings) could enable more guided skiing. Is Flims/LAAX a day trip option (via train)?

Quote Originally Posted by gedmeyer View Post
    Wow, it's almost like I asked who's mother makes a better apple pie.

There is clearly no one answer.

I have followed most of the links provided and have gone down the rabbit hole on both locales. Many hotels are already booked (both bobinch's Zermatt rec and Buster's Mt-Lodge rec).

Staying in Zermatt is expensive. I haven't found much < $400/ night. I've never paid that in my life (incl. honeymoon). Wifey's idea of anniversary trip doesn't include a hostel . Any more recs or hookups? Maybe I'll have to suck it up and spend the 400 bucks/night. I can't imagine there not being good skiing within the gazillion acres of Zermatt. What's it going to cost to hire Rudy to show me where to ski?

Personally, I like the Andermatt option. I also hate being around more that a few people at any single time. There seems to be several options in Sedrun or Dissentis that are 200-250/night. (any recommendations beyond mt-lodge?) I'd imagine that $150/day savings (plus lift ticket savings) could enable more guided skiing. Is Flims/LAAX a day trip option (via train)?
    I hope the fray is at least amusing more than pathetic. It's hard to tell, huh? You just keep poking the animals.

email mt-lodge: info@mt-lodge.com The owners are super nice people that have hosted a motly consortium of us over the years.

They have made arrangements to stay at a neighboring hotel for similar rates for some people.

You can reference this stupid thread. @vendul, the owner who posts here, will be amused.

And yes, Flims/Laax is doable in a day, (takes almost 2 hours) but getting from the Ilanz bahnhof (train station) to the lifts requires a bus or taxi from Ilanz.
    Obersaxen is along that route, a little closer with bahnhof Rueun, but still requiring a bus or taxi transfer up to the lift base.

In the other direction, Fiesch, which is huDge as well, is about 2.5 hours and a cool train ride.

There are early trains from Rueras/Sedrun/Disentis to Klosters Platz bahnhof and the Gotschnabahn tram (all in one block) that take about 3 hours.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html

Search on this website for EuroBBI for more information: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...st&forumchoice[]=3
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Just rent one of hundreds private apartments offered in Zermatt via online booking. The prices are decent for those. Don’t go to any fancy hotels as they are hopelessly overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    J... via online booking.
    Are there "better" booking sites for Europe? Airbnb didn't offer much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I hope the fray is at least amusing more than pathetic. It's hard to tell, huh? You just keep poking the animals.

email mt-lodge: info@mt-lodge.com

You can reference this stupid thread. @vendul, the owner who posts here, will be amused.

And yes, Flims/Laax is doable in a day, (takes almost 2 hours) but getting from the Ilanz bahnhof (train station) to the lifts requires a bus or taxi from Ilanz.
    Obersaxen is along that route, a little closer with bahnhof Rueun, but still requiring a bus or taxi transfer up to the lift base.

In the other direction, Fiesch, which is huDge as well, is about 2.5 hours and a cool train ride.
    Aren't we all here to be amused?

Email sent.

2.5h each way is a bit long of a day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Just rent one of hundreds private apartments offered in Zermatt via online booking. The prices are decent for those. Don’t go to any fancy hotels as they are hopelessly overpriced.
    It’s a world famous resort that gets global tourists in an expensive country, higher service hotels arent cheap. And dragging fat flatlanders up hills for CHF then selling them overpriced beds & rösti, is 150 years of Alpine culture.

https://monsteiner.ch/en/ For Swiss beer.

Aren't we all here to be amused?

Email sent.

2.5h each way is a bit long of a day trip.
    If you get bored between Disentis (Val Gronda, Val Strem), Oberalp Pass, Gutsch\Natschen and the Gemsstock (Giraffe, Hans Im Glugg, Felsental, Guspis) in less than 5 days, have Michele set you up with a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    This has been fun folks. While no one seems to agree on their favorites, can we at least agree as a collective to send moar peoplez to, like, Flumserberg? or Austria/France, it’s cheaper there anyways!

I kid. Kind of.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I had a good time in Flumserberg. Of course it might have been the attic full of curing grass. Got really drunk in a monkey suit in Buchs on that trip…

i don't have a lot of experience with different resorts in the alps, but i went to zermatt for a day, and that was enough. the terrain is not particularly interesting, but the town is nice to walk around in because of the lack of cars. the views are nice at the top of the gornergrat and you get to see the matterhorn. but the "inbounds" skiing i found was very very meh compared to verbier. maybe i just didn't know where to go

i haven't read this thread, so i don't know how much time you have or if you're coming from the states, never been to the alps, etc.. but zermatt is definitely worth a day. chamonix is absolutely worth a couple days, i like the town a lot.. get a guide for a day and do a vallée blanche lap, easy skiing, incredible scenery.. if you have time do one off les grand montets too.

verbier is awesome, it's like a north american hill on steroids. there's so much awesome terrain and it's all incredibly accessible. usually just a short traverse from the top of a lift, or at most a 5 min bootpack. it's the kind of place where you can ski something spicy, while from the same lift your wife can ski something mellow, and you both end up at the same place 10 minutes later.

i'd move around, see a bunch of different places.

Check out this:
    https://www.zermatt.ch/content/view/...type=apartment
    it's in German but basically understandable

I did a few of the bigger resorts when I lived over there....Solden, Ischgl, Zermatt/Cervinia, Sella Ronde, Val D'Isere/Tignes, Les Deux Alpes, St. Anton/Lech/Zurs, Zillertal. I'd go with St. Anton complex. When I was there it wasn't all connected like it is now. I thought the town was pretty cool and the skiing quite good. Had some trees there too if you get a tough day of visibility with fresh snow. Plus if need be easy to Ischgl, Serfaus, glaciers of Pitztal, Solden.

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    the terrain is not particularly interesting
    No!

maybe i just didn't know where to go
    Yes!

i'd move around, see a bunch of different places.
    Chamonix-Verbier-Zermatt, all are quite close together, all with an abudance of magnificient terrain, all worth to spend several seasons there

Are there any tips for ski luggage on Swiss trains?

I currently have a double Sportube. Being 2X size and rigid seems like this might become troublesome on a train. If not Sportube, would a double or single soft ski bag be better?

Do swiss trains have separate compartments for suitcases and skis? Wife and I will each have backpacks, 1 rolling suitcase/duffel, and a pair of skis.

The trains have ski racks. I had mixed results with my double ski bag. It was not a problem on the trains in the mountains, but the commuter trains to/from Lucerne and Zurich were a bit of a challenge. We had to hope we were the first to arrive at the luggage spot.

I’m in zermatt, last minute trip and have no idea where to ski. I’m with my lady but thinking of hiring a guide for a day. I brought non touring skis but am happy to boot pack.
    Any recommendations on guides and or areas to ski would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I’m in zermatt, last minute trip and have no idea where to ski. I’m with my lady but thinking of hiring a guide for a day. I brought non touring skis but am happy to boot pack.
    Any recommendations on guides and or areas to ski would be appreciated.
    Don't know the snow situation, but the terrain near the Hohtelli tram and the stuff to skiers right off Stockhorn and Rote Nase was fun. The glacier between the Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn is beautiful, but I would want a guide for that. Depending on the route taken touring skis aren't required. If you want to go higher to the neighboring peaks from Klein Matterhorn then yeah might help. Sorry, these are fuzzy rec's but it's been a bit since I was there. There is a ton of interesting terrain, but just a bit more hidden than Verbier. I had one trip where the snow in Verbier stunk, including high off Mt. Fort, backside, etc. and went to Zermatt and it was better since it was higher. This was during an Alp heat wave...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Check out FatMaps freeriding for the zone, there are plenty of option, even in a lean snow year. Post pics

Sent from my SM-G998U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The trains have ski racks. I had mixed results with my double ski bag. It was not a problem on the trains in the mountains, but the commuter trains to/from Lucerne and Zurich were a bit of a challenge. We had to hope we were the first to arrive at the luggage spot.
    This was the question I had. Where do your ski bags go when there's no ski bag storage? Do they sit next to you?

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    This was the question I had. Where do your ski bags go when there's no ski bag storage? Do they sit next to you?
    I usually left my bag at one of the ends of the car. Sometimes one can put ones skis in the overhead rack.

Buy a lottery ticket you lucky boy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4338.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	686.0 KB 
ID:	451371

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I usually left my bag at one of the ends of the car. Sometimes one can put ones skis in the overhead rack.
    We are back now. Look for the train cars with the bicycle or family zone symbols. They have clear space near the door. It's not ideal, but it works.

Also, look for train itineraries with less transfers. They might run every hour, but some require more train changes. Carrying skis doesn't make the switches easier.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Skideepow, Ski over to Italy have lunch go back to zermatt. High visibility sensitive resort, if stormy ski the Rothorn trees.