Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Going to Zermatt

Searched but couldn't find.

So I am going to Zermatt in January. Is traveling with skis a bitch or what ? Demo skis / rent ?
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

There has never been a thread about that question, or about Europe in general.

Good that you bring it up. Be sure to hire a cheese assistant or they'll know you're not Swiss.

Ski into a crevasse on rental skis to get the full experience.

And ask around where they are hiding the nazi Gold to get a conversation going.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    There has never been a thread about that question, or about Europe in general.

Good that you bring it up. Be sure to hire a cheese assistant or they'll know you're not Swiss.

Ski into a crevasse on rental skis to get the full experience.

And ask around where they are hiding the nazi Gold to get a conversation going.
    Not getting laid ?

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...19#post6449519 ..

The containing thread has lots of information.
    Zermatt is OK, but imho there's lots better places to go.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...19#post6449519 ..

The containing thread has lots of information.
    Zermatt is OK, but imho there's lots better places to go.

Thanks. My friend is dead set on going there so.... It will be an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    Thanks. My friend is dead set on going there so.... It will be an experience.
    Have they skied Yurp before? Why Zermatt? It's expensive.

If some Epic like pass is the reason, you'll spend so much more in Zermatt on lodging and food, you'd save $ by going to a place with better snow.

If some Epic like pass is the reason, you'll spend so much more in Zermatt on lodging and food, you'd save $ by going to a place with better snow.
    I think he is just infatuated with it. None of us ever skied in Europe before either. I don't think there is any talking him out of it since he also wants to do tourist shit. My other friend wants to go too so I am overruled.

OK.
    There's just lots of better places to go for snow and terrain for the $. Like the Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena or Davos/Klosters or St. Anton/Lech/Zurs/Warth.

In any case, it's all pretty easy, the transportation systems are so well done in Switzerland. Pack light, carry on your boots and basic necessities, get a roller bag for your skis, but you can generally rent decent equipment there (again it will be expensive in Zermatt) if you don't want to bring your own.

Not getting laid ?
    Never, except in Zermatt.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Never, except in Zermatt.
    lol

OK.
    There's just lots of better places to go for snow and terrain for the $. Like the Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena or Davos/Klosters or St. Anton/Lech/Zurs/Warth.

In any case, it's all pretty easy, the transportation systems are so well done in Switzerland. Pack light, carry on your boots and basic necessities, get a roller bag for your skis, but you can generally rent decent equipment there (again it will be expensive in Zermatt) if you don't want to bring your own.
    Thanks for the info. I still have time to change shit up. I would just have to bring good arguments. I would prefer to bring my own skis. Seems like it wont be a big hassle from what you're saying

Travelling in Switzerland is ridiculously easy with major train stations in the basements of Geneva and Zurich airports. A roller bag for your skis is key for changing trains and getting through the airports. Be sure to carry on your essentials, like boots and shell in case the airlines lose your shit. I prefer the Euro carriers as well.

After having been to a bunch of the well known places like Chamonix and Zermatt, I found I liked the less well known places for the skiing. Cham really requires a guide for the Midi and even The Grands Montets and there's something about the vibe at the best known destination places I don't get.

Andermatt used to be a dump, is getting more upscale and has great skiing. Disentis is amazing and not that well known. I've had amazing skiing at Airolo which one can get to via train from Andermatt in an hour. Davos/Klosters was a surprise with boatloads of fantastic sidecountry. Engelberg is also fantastic but more crowded. I got wowed a bunch of times at the St. Moritz areas (LaGalb/Diavolezza/Corvatsch/Corviglia).

There's a ton of great skiing all over France and Italy but they more or less require a car.

Go back to that thread linked above and check out our friend vendul at https://www.mt-lodge.com/ who will show you an unforgettable top drawer time.

If you have a quiver of fur coats you need a place like Zermatt to fully validate their ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    If you have a quiver of fur coats you need a place like Zermatt to fully validate their ownership.
    Going with just t-shirts and jeans. Gonna rep the US of A. I'll be sure to leave upper deckers at every restaurant as well.

try talking him into staying on the other side. The Italian side is definitely cheaper and the food is much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    This is true, although the same could be said of St. Moritz. It's just that from what I saw, St. Moritz had better skiing.

Cervinia/Val Tourneche is pretty boring skiing I thought. ymmv.

This is true, although the same could be said of St. Moritz. It's just that from what I saw, St. Moritz had better skiing.

Cervinia/Val Tourneche is pretty boring skiing I thought. ymmv.
    Are the people in Zermatt pretentious or just normal but mostly with $$ ?

My people sampling of Zermatt is not statistically significant.
    It's expensive and the skiing up towards the Plateau Rosa was boring. We didn't make it over to the Hohtaelli side which is supposedly more expert skiing.
    https://www.bergfex.com/zermatt/panorama/

You want friendly, mind blowing skiing with similar snow? Alagna/Gressoney on the Monte Rosa. It's a pain to get to, but it's huDge and very friendly. The downside is that their snowpack can be iffy and lots of the pistes are southfacing.

https://www.bergfex.com/gressoney-la-trinite/

The Matterhorn is in the upper left hand corner:

https://vcdn.bergfex.at/images/resiz...76ba830@2x.jpg

If the weather lines up, for about $200 you can heli up onto the Monte Rosa (by the Lyskamm) from the top of Alagna, ski down to Zermatt, take lifts up to the Plateau Rosa, then traverse over to Champoluc and lift ski back to Alagna in a day.

We're not going until January so plenty of time to maybe change what we are doing. Personally I'm at the age where I'm more into the trip and the experience these days. Looking forward to just being there and soaking in the views.

You mention heli skiing.... That throws a wrench in what skis to bring. I was planning on 88 and 100's under foot but if we are gonna maybe do heli then I'd bring by powder skis. So many variables its exhausting.

100 mm underfoot is kind of minimal I'd say if you're going to experience the best the Alps has to offer. If you're going to stay on the groomers, then the 88s will be fine.

Do you want the big name resorts with lots of nightlife, restaurants, lift systems, etc or do you want to find something more off the beaten path? The former are more of a homogenous atmosphere, the latter usually have more local culture and flavor.

Big Names:
    Val d'Isere/Tignes France
    Chamonix France
    Portes du Soleil France/Switzerland
    Verbier Switzerland
    Jungfrau (Murren/Wengen/Grindlewald
    Zermatt Switzerland
    St. Moritz Switzerland
    St. Anton Austria

Zermatt is my only Yurp ski experience to date so I don’t know how it stacks up against other mountains but I recall being unimpressed by the variety of terrain. Snow was shitty, and it was a good snow year. Town is pretty cool and felt less touristy than the big US resorts but I imagine this doesn’t reign true when compared to other Yurpean mountains. As said, to and from couldn’t be easier. Fly into Zurich, board train to Zermatt. The ride is obviously stunning once you get up high.

Curling in the square looks like a good time. The locals get kinda raucous. Good food spots. I remember a really good but kinda upscale Italian place up the hill from the victorinox store.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

100 mm underfoot is kind of minimal I'd say if you're going to experience the best the Alps has to offer. If you're going to stay on the groomers, then the 88s will be fine.

Do you want the big name resorts with lots of nightlife, restaurants, lift systems, etc or do you want to find something more off the beaten path? The former are more of a homogenous atmosphere, the latter usually have more local culture and flavor.

Big Names:
    Val d'Isere/Tignes France
    Chamonix France
    Portes du Soleil France/Switzerland
    Verbier Switzerland
    Jungfrau (Murren/Wengen/Grindlewald
    Zermatt Switzerland
    St. Moritz Switzerland
    St. Anton Austria
    Well I'll ski anything along with one of my other friends. The third friend likes more of the trail vibe then off the beaten bath.

None of us are party animals truthfully. We all just like to drink, chill and eat good foodz.

Sounds like we have some planning to do still.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Zermatt is my only Yurp ski experience to date so I don’t know how it stacks up against other mountains but I recall being unimpressed by the variety of terrain. Snow was shitty, and it was a good snow year. Town is pretty cool and felt less touristy than the big US resorts but I imagine this doesn’t reign true when compared to other Yurpean mountains. As said, to and from couldn’t be easier. Fly into Zurich, board train to Zermatt. The ride is obviously stunning once you get up high.

Curling in the square looks like a good time. The locals get kinda raucous. Good food spots. I remember a really good but kinda upscale Italian place up the hill from the victorinox store.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, I dont think the terrain is going to be insane but the views and atmosphere should be cool.

Travel seems not too bad then. Was reading some horror stories from the googles but could just be a bunch of pussies crying about carrying skis.

Just hope is a fun trip truthfully after this shit show covid created.

Medium size
    Milky Way(Montgenevre/Claviere/San Sicario/Saulze d'Oulx/Sestriere) Italy/France
    Briancon/Serre Chevalier France
    Gstaad/G3000 Switzerland
    Engelberg Switzerland
    Saas Fe Switzerland
    Andermatt/Disentis SkiArena Switzerland
    Klosters/Davos Switzerland
    Schruns/Montafon Austria
    Kaunertal Austria
    Sölden Austria
    Pitztaler Austria
    Stubai Austria
    Gasteinertal Austria
    Kitzbuhel Austria

Are the people in Zermatt pretentious or just normal but mostly with $$ ?

there are almost no "people of zermatt", they are all from somewhere else... 90% of the buildings in town are hotels. itsa tourist trap and is priced accordingly. any of the half dozens ski areas that you will pass on the train on the way up the valley to zermatt will give you a better value for your money...