Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Going to Zermatt

Funny thing though comparing Zermatt to places like Andermatt oder Disentis. Zermatt has like 5x bigger terrain (not even counting the south facing Italian side) and almost 1000 m vertical more. And no, there is not just Hohtälli as a decent place for freeriding. If you know where to go in what condition this place is a fookin paradise, much more than any other resort in the Alps famous for "freeriding" and overcrowded with Swedish skibumps.

It’s been 20 years, but I spent an unplanned week skiing in Zermatt (waiting for my bags shipped from Chamonix, while I did the Haute Route), and while it was touristy as fuck, the tourists seemed to stick to the piste, and we were able to lap endless lift serviced fields of untracked. A treat compared to Chamonix, Verbier and Engelberg, where frothing crowds of freeskiers raced to track out everything within hours. With spectacular and easily accessible tours (out towards Monte Rosa), wild James Bond style urban ski back trails, incredible history, a glimpse into the lifestyles of the Euro aristocracy (somebody’s buying those watches) and funky little nightlife scenes in lodges that you wouldn’t find unless someone showed you, what’s not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    Funny thing though comparing Zermatt to places like Andermatt oder Disentis. Zermatt has like 5x bigger terrain (not even counting the south facing Italian side) and almost 1000 m vertical more. And no, there is not just Hohtälli as a decent place for freeriding. If you know where to go in what condition this place is a fookin paradise, much more than any other resort in the Alps famous for "freeriding" and overcrowded with Swedish skibumps.
    Unfortunately most of that huuuge terrain is crap and it doesn't get any snow. Small wonder the tourists stay on the groomers. The Skiers cup "Zermatt " took place near zinal. Go figure.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Unfortunately most of that huuuge terrain is crap and it doesn't get any snow. Small wonder the tourists stay on the groomers. The Skiers cup "Zermatt " took place near zinal. Go figure.
    That’s why Markus Eder filmed the Ultimate run there 😉

See just how crap it is here
    Last edited by bobinch; 12-08-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Going to Zermatt

Small wonder you hang out in verbier. Which makes me wonder why you don't like sawiris verbieriasation of andermatt?

I've been to Zermatt in the 90s and it still felt like a posh Version of ischgl with a MC Donalds in the mountains.
    Brrrr......

I didn't have the money to hang out in fancy places as a Student so what do I know.

If the op wants a ski trip with the wife, I wouldn't go.
    If he wants a glitzy place in the alps, it's the right choice.
    And the weather is usually good because it never really snows there.

And I rarely disagree with Buster, but madesimo is not worth the trip becsuse the terrain is just not it except the top tram.

On the other hand: Chiavenna(down the road) is one of the most beautiful alpine cities I've ever visited.
    Not entirely sure of the point of your post?

Andermatt is as I described. Great for freeriders seeking powder on the Gemstock but not for an anniversary weekend with the wife IMO. Do you disagree?

I understand you don’t like Zermatt and Verbier and anywhere else where there are tourists or rich people or anyone not like you. That’s ok. We don’t mind you looking down on us [emoji3]

But don’t compare them to Andermatt. There is a reason Andermatt was empty before the money arrived and Verbier and Zermatt were not.

I’m sure Mt-Lodge is great. Buster clearly knows his stuff and offers a ton of great advice on here. But it’s a sleepy village nr Sedrun and a 45 minute train ride to the Gemstock. I understand why he likes it but from everything he’s said it does not sound like the obvious choice for the OP.

He talks about Euro vibe, fancy dinners, skiing not the priority, doesn’t want hassle with public transport etc etc.

Zermatt is an obvious choice. The views of the Matterhorn are spectacular. The mountain restaurants are some of the best in the Alps. The town is always busy, there’s loads to do and it has a decent après-ski vibe. The skiing is extensive and crosses 2 countries. Its main drawback is that it’s expensive.

I’ve recommended him a great hotel, by the main lift, locally owned and run, decent value. Having been there for an anniversary with my wife a year ago I suspect he’ll have a good time if he goes there. That’s all.

A Zermatt mountain guide
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a09f2dad-bf90-4720-8288-81ac142a311a.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	437333

Quote Originally Posted by gedmeyer View Post

We have long discussed a Euro ski trip (we've extensively skied N. America). While good skiing is always preferred, our trip is weighted more towards experiencing the European mountain culture and euro ski town vibes. ...

Does Andermatt-Disentis still stand as the go-to, if I focus on euro town/village charm?
    Dickwaving aside folks, these are questions posed. So put your peepees away about Zermatt's size.

If one considers the larger resorts like Zermatt as reflective of "European mountain culture and euro ski town vibes", that's great. I don't.

I find it to be too touristy, glitzy, crowded and expensive despite the amazing views and considerable terrain. When I go walking around Sedrun or even the Sawarised Andermatt, I feel like that's a more genuine Switzerland.

My apologies if I've stepped on your privates.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    That’s why Markus Eder filmed the Ultimate run there [emoji6]

See just how crap it is here
    Uh? He filmed that in Italy where he us from. Except the crevasse huck which he had to Film in may because Zermatt didn't have snow before that. In one of the best winters in recent memory. [emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Dickwaving aside folks, these are questions posed. So put your peepees away about Zermatt's size.

If one considers the larger resorts like Zermatt as reflective of "European mountain culture and euro ski town vibes", that's great. I don't.

I find it to be too touristy, glitzy, crowded and expensive despite the amazing views and considerable terrain. When I go walking around Sedrun or even the Sawarised Andermatt, I feel like that's a more genuine Switzerland.

What Buster said is correct, of course[emoji3]
    Well maybe except the thing about madesimo. [emoji6]

And bob: I especially hate people like me showing up in the places I like to ski.
    If I hated crowds, I would not ski Engelberg. It just has to be worth it.

This has been fun folks. While no one seems to agree on their favorites, can we at least agree as a collective to send moar peoplez to, like, Flumserberg? or Austria/France, it’s cheaper there anyways!

I kid. Kind of.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Uh? He filmed that in Italy where he us from. Except the crevasse huck which he had to Film in may because Zermatt didn't have snow before that. In one of the best winters in recent memory. [emoji6]
    I’m disappointed in you - would have expected better from a student… All the high altitude epic glacier footage was shot in Zermatt. It transitioned to his locale when the piste appears

You are just heartless!

Still recovering from the heartbreak of my beloved Switzerland’s 6-1 drubbing by those Portuguese beach bums… they even left Ronaldo on the bench to run our noses in it.

And then you incite a bunch of dirtbag, American losers to kick lumps out of one of our finest Alpine jewels. Inspiration for the Toblerone no less!

Shame on you…

Uh? Fiilm in may because Zermatt didn't have snow before that. In one of the best winters in recent memory. [emoji6]
    And this is bullshit too. Zermatt is always like that. And that was just a blue run. You should see the reds and blacks.

A lots changed since your visit in the 70’s

You are just heartless!

Still recovering from the heartbreak of my beloved Switzerland’s 6-1 drubbing by those Portuguese beach bums… they even left Ronaldo on the bench to run our noses in it.

And then you incite a bunch of dirtbag, American losers to kick lumps out of one of our finest Alpine jewels. Inspiration for the Toblerone no less!

Shame on you…
    Well, when I'm sitting drinking the local apricot digestif after a meal from the private chef in my friends chalet along the Chemin des Esserts, I pity the poor losers who don't live up to their commitments. In the absence of any display of self awareness, my pity only goes so far.

Well, when I'm sitting drinking the local apricot digestif after a meal from the private chef in my friends chalet along the Chemin des Esserts, I pity the poor losers who don't live up to their commitments. In the absence of any display of self awareness, my pity only goes so far.
    Be careful with those stories. Subtle might stop kissing your arse!

Just the facts, bob, just the facts.

If I hated crowds, I would not ski Engelberg. It just has to be worth it.
    I heard you only go there because the Swedes ski like shit so you don’t get shown up.

When you came to Verbier the Brits schooled you right?

And lying about having friends in Verbier. As if…

And on the subject of dickwaving I’m in a good mood having spent the morning fighting the holiday hordes for space on a mogul on Mont Fort
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	437363

And lying about having friends in Verbier. As if…
    Like I said, just the facts, bob.

To be completely honest, I've only stayed there 3 times for a total of 8 or 9 days. They have a sweet setup and are incredibly nice people. There are contrasts.

And a view of TGR’s favourite mountain in the background…

Never! His arse is a thing of pure and untainted beauty. The epitome of kissworthy rear ends.

Parts of this are funny and parts are just embarrassing.

I heard you only go there because the Swedes ski like shit so you don’t get shown up.

When you came to Verbier the Brits schooled you right?
    Woah. This is getting out of hand. You think way too highly of me I can barely follow the swedes. And I fell out of a chair lift in Verbier once while unloading.Full on Benny tip Catch so I'm way to scared to ever go back :[emoji3]

But I totally appreciate you going full sicilian Vendetta Mode, even though you're busy schooling people in the art of filming 360 degree gopro meadow skipping videos in slow mo.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 12-08-2022 at 11:54 AM.

And I fell out of a chair lift in Verbier once while unloading.Full on Benny tip Catch so I'm way to scared to ever go back :[emoji3]
    This explains everything 🤣🤣🤣

But I totally appreciate you going full sicilian Vendetta Mode, even though you're busy schooling people in the art of filming 360 degree gopro meadow skipping videos in slow mo.
    Oh bless. You watched the videos of my kids. They’ll be touched 😍