Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The key move is the cleat has to twist. If you're trying to move your foot sideways or lift off the pedal you're not coming out. Just like push your heel straight away from the bike so your foot twists.

Pretty sure my pedals are cranked up almost all the way to the max plus I have to replace cleats about every year. Once the cleats wear down a bit I start getting the occasional inadvertent release.

Yeah ^^ the key is that the ankle ( not the forefoot ) has to go sideways for the foot to come out of the SPD, thats why even at 3 the foot will still stay in the pedal as long as the foot is kept straight

I keep the tension lower at a 5 or 6 and I havent found replacing the cleats to be of any use to ME, its the keeping my foot straight that prevents pre-release

I had a shoulder injury when I got my 1st SPD's so everytime I fell over it fucking well hurt and so i had to figure these things out

I wonder how many people out there don't know where their pedals are set ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I can't believe anyone would actualy do this^^ instead of practising twisting out at the heel
    You still have to twist out, just doesn’t take much effort
    Can’t believe I had to actually write this…

what if for any reason can't get out of your easy spd pedal 1st ?

OMG I am a moron. Didn't realize each pedal had two screws ffs that's embarrassingly dumb. Kinda explains why sometimes it releases easily and other times it takes a pile of force.

Thanks, I owe ya one.

Have a good laugh at my incompetence.

woah - ninja edit, what happened to your post?!

Th president takes a spill getting out of toeclips

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    OMG I am a moron. Didn't realize each pedal had two screws ffs that's embarrassingly dumb. Kinda explains why sometimes it releases easily and other times it takes a pile of force.

Thanks, I owe ya one.

Ha that’s a good one right there! Lol.

I have some old ass spd for the road that only have the clips on one side. Weight “savings?” PITA.

Restarting on technical climbs with cages drove me crazy back in my mtb days til I went spd. The twist movement becomes natural. I set them loose for the road these days so I can move my heel back and forth now and then while still pedaling to kinda keep off fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I feel like with SPD anytime I’ve had a real “oh shit” moment I’ve been able to just pull my foot out. Maybe mine are too loose, but I don’t do a ton of pulling up in my pedal stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post

Thanks, I owe ya one.

between not adjusting both screws of the pedal and then only adjusting one side that would make for interesting odds on getting out of your SPD's

but its no problem as long as you learn to track stand

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    The key move is the cleat has to twist. If you're trying to move your foot sideways or lift off the pedal you're not coming out. Just like push your heel straight away from the bike so your foot twists.

Pretty sure my pedals are cranked up almost all the way to the max plus I have to replace cleats about every year. Once the cleats wear down a bit I start getting the occasional inadvertent release.
    I have experienced the opposite as well. Worn out SPD cleats + pedals set pretty tight = not enough "meat" on the cleat to activate for a clean release. You go to twist out like you have 10000 times before and the cleat won't release. This has caused a few injuries for me now and I think it added to my recent bad shoulder injury.

The cleats wear so slowly that you don't realize until it's too late. I'm putting myself on a strict 3-4 month max on a set of cleats now before I change them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Ha that’s a good one right there! Lol.

I have some old ass spd for the road that only have the clips on one side. Weight “savings?” PITA.

Restarting on technical climbs with cages drove me crazy back in my mtb days til I went spd. The twist movement becomes natural. I set them loose for the road these days so I can move my heel back and forth now and then while still pedaling to kinda keep off fatigue.

those are really fucking heavy but they are really good for newbies who are afraid of being entrapped by SPD's so I asked a GF who only used them on the road if she she ever used the flat side once she was familiar with the SPD and she said

no

Its kind of funny but newb is afraid of being entrapped by an SPD

but is totally fine using toe clips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I have experienced the opposite as well. Worn out SPD cleats + pedals set pretty tight = not enough "meat" on the cleat to activate for a clean release. You go to twist out like you have 10000 times before and the cleat won't release. This has caused a few injuries for me now and I think it added to my recent bad shoulder injury.

The cleats wear so slowly that you don't realize until it's too late. I'm putting myself on a strict 3-4 month max on a set of cleats now before I change them out.
    Been there done that ^^ and when I fell over it was always on the side with the bad shoulder

I mostly like the cleats for smugly clacking around, Lycra clad, in the loaf and jug, shuffling between the gummi cola and energy bar section. You don’t even need a bike!!

them lycra shorts will really show off your loaf !

It’s the jugs I’m getting shy about.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what if for any reason can't get out of your easy spd pedal 1st ?
    Then I twist my foot out of the other side

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I mostly like the cleats for smugly clacking around, Lycra clad, in the loaf and jug, shuffling between the gummi cola and energy bar section. You don’t even need a bike!!
    An old rite of passage for our road racing team - send the JONG into Safari Club in Estacada OR in full kit and ask for water to fill up bottles
    http://www.seattlebars.org/2012/11/1...or-862011.html

Little different than the old safari club in Portland

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Little different than the old safari club in Portland
    On soooo many levels!
    I hear that block is now apartments

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    On soooo many levels!
    I hear that block is now apartments
    RIP to a real one

I eat at the Hopworks next door a lot and it’s not the same out there anymore