Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    While in the Air Force a bunch of us road the RAGBRAI as part of a recruitment effort.
    The secretary of the Air Force road it that year. She was an avid cyclist and pretty fit.
    The poor secret service guys struggled everyday trying to keep up with her even though she was 20 to 30 years older.
    Last edited by Powder Ho; 06-19-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Anybody got any video of Drumpf riding a bike? Didn't think so..
    You gonna cry ?
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Make flats great again

Who the fuck let him ride clips?

PS. Clipless annoys me. Always has. The term is wrong, even though historically correct. Clipless go click. And you’re clipped in. But toe baskets don’t clip. Unless you’re an old fart and can’t pull your foot out.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But toe baskets don’t clip. Unless you’re an old fart and can’t pull your foot out.
    Ackchually…

Old road pedals were almost impossible to pull your foot out. Toe baskets do fasten on old shoes because there was still a hard cleat that sunk into the pedal depression, then the toe clip held the cleats in. Here’s the sole of one of the most popular racing shoes from the 70s-80s (heyday of toe clips) the Detto Pietro Art. 74. See the cleat and the slot that fits on the pedal. You clamp a strap around that you’re never coming out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4042.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	832.7 KB 
ID:	419350

and a lot of the racers used 2 straps to keep that shoe on the pedal ... no way out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3A66D35-B75A-4F24-B2DE-10FA6A2CCD97.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	419480

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    and a lot of the racers used 2 straps to keep that shoe on the pedal ... no way out
    You could reach down and unstrap really fast if you were desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That's how I rode time trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nothing like rolling up to a stop and forgetting to loosen the strap.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

IME there is not a whole lot of difference between forgetting to loosen the toeclip strap and forgetting to clip out of a clipless pedal, either way you were falling over

loose SPD cleats were a special hell cuz you couldn't unclip

^^^Not if you can trackstand…

Actually, pretty impressive falling over on asphalt at his age and not breaking his wrist or something. Anybody who started out riding cages in the dirt back in the day has plenty of stories and scars riding them. I know I have plenty, I was a PE teacher at the time and wearing shorts and explaining to the kids why my shins were always beat up.

I remember that I transitioned to a pedal called "Bear Claws" and although it wasn't caged, it was small and sharp and left plenty of my meat on the trails. I jumped on the "clipless" bandwagon right away and got some pedals called "Onza", they were a elastomer release that had a plastic piece instead of springs. Actually worked good till I learned that in cold weather the plastic would stiffen up and not release. I learned a big lesson riding a cold day where I hit a greasy spot on a spine and slid off. My foot wouldn't release and I ended up down in a gulley upside down feet still in the pedals. I was pinned down and couldn't move enough to reach my shoes as I really needed to untie them to get out. My wife was in front and after a while figured out that I wasn't there. She back tracked and found me still stuck. all she could do is laugh. Anyway, she climbed down, untied my shoes and I got out. There's more to the story but still a hiccup. Anyway, transitioned to flats 6 years ago and never looked back.........

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    George W used to ride a fair amount. I remember him going on a mountain bike ride with Lance, and W actually had a pretty nice trek.
    I remember him riding the MTB course in one of the Olympics, hit the ground. Press was losing their shit over the danger involved. He had a few road rash spots. GW also puts on a ride each year for wounded vets.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Not if you can trackstand…
    I believe the proper term is "the quicksilver" or "Quicksilvering"
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Trump did say that he would never do something as irresponsible as riding a bicycle around while holding orfice.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Anybody see Friday Fails today?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Anybody see Friday Fails today?
    I love how they tucked it in there.

I got my first spd's a few weeks ago and finally did the can't unclip - slow motion - fall at an intersection a few days ago. Still feeling it.

I don't mind them for road and gravel, but did some tight single track today and really hated being clipped in, from fear of encountering other rides and trying to pass or yield the narrow trail.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    George W used to ride a fair amount. I remember him going on a mountain bike ride with Lance, and W actually had a pretty nice trek.
    And he fell. He also rode into a police officer a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I got my first spd's a few weeks ago and finally did the can't unclip - slow motion - fall at an intersection a few days ago. Still feeling it.

I don't mind them for road and gravel, but did some tight single track today and really hated being clipped in, from fear of encountering other rides and trying to pass or yield the narrow trail.
    Identify the foot you put down most often. (Drive side in my case)

Dial SPD pressure on that pedal down just to where your foot won’t come out when pulling hard. Will now release very easily, and your knee has more mobility

If you have to dab, eject on that side.

[/thread drift]

No matter how you are locked into your pedal, you will fall over, and it will be in front of a ton of people. Never had an issue getting out all alone, but the two times I didn’t were at busy intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Identify the foot you put down most often. (Drive side in my case)

Dial SPD pressure on that pedal down just to where your foot won’t come out when pulling hard. Will now release very easily, and your knee has more mobility

If you have to dab, eject on that side.

[/thread drift]
    I can't believe anyone would actualy do this^^ instead of practising twisting out at the heel

Naw makes sense I need to spend more time getting the screw setting dialed in. It's weird, I twist my heel out and every now and then it just doesn't want to disengage right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Naw makes sense I need to spend more time getting the screw setting dialed in. It's weird, I twist my heel out and every now and then it just doesn't want to disengage right away.
    when yer down there with a bottle of chain lube slop some on the pivots in the pedal if they genuinely hang up but the real question is how many clicks are you running ?

consider as long your foot is pointing straight forward the pedals do not release no matter how they are set, they release by caming to the sides against spring pressure, which you wana try before you have to, I would start a newbie by running the screws out till they don't click and then turning them in 3 clicks, anybody can get out of 3 clicks, personaly I only need 5 or 6 clicks

the last time I checked SPD's come from Shimano set at 9 which may be why people can't get out in time if they have never checked those screws ?

I think if you set an SPD uneven you will come out on the low side more often,

don't forget to set both sides of both pedals so thats 4 screws eh