Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I answer local calls during biz hours. But I don’t say hi. I just listen to see if there’s a human being calling.
    Most of the spam calls I get are spoofed local numbers. Pretty much no one I know has a cell phone with a local number. So I don't answer any of those unless I'm waiting for a call. Always figure if it's a real caller they'll leave a msg. Which is also annoying since the pixel recites so many unnecessary details when replaying messages and I can't seem to skip those.

If you are using the default Google phone app, you can tap the voice mail and it will show a transcript or play just the voicemail. I haven't called voicemail since figuring that out

Also the Google spam & call screening is really good.

My kids, age 18 and 19, don't answer for anyone not in their contacts... and have never even set up voicemail. It's a miracle that they seem to be able to find a job when they are looking for one.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I’m in sales. I feel like I need to answer, especially when the spoofer gets close to the numbers I’m familiar with. Hanging up on the bots wastes less of my day than a dozen other time sucks.
    Yup a salesman is pretty much obligated to answer but... \/ \/
    Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    No.

And whatever you do, text me, email me, call again later, drive over but do not fucking leave a fucking voicemail.

I think today's etiquette is to text and ask if it's pk to call. Or better yet, text and ask me to call you.
    Yes. Please text me, I will get back to you asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Most of the spam calls I get are spoofed local numbers. Pretty much no one I know has a cell phone with a local number. So I don't answer any of those unless I'm waiting for a call. Always figure if it's a real caller they'll leave a msg. Which is also annoying since the pixel recites so many unnecessary details when replaying messages and I can't seem to skip those.
    I mostly like how my Pixel 6 handles auto callers by screening the call. I get at least a half dozen calls a day that go straight to screening and the phone doesn't ring just buzzes with the notification that it was called.

I stopped answering the phone for the Red Cross. So now they call me from unknown numbers. I answered one on a hunch that it was them. Yup. Not gonna answer any more.

I started giving blood again this year. It makes me really queasy and can lead to a panic attack. So I don't mind doing it, I just have to go at my own pace and be in the right frame of mind. Those fuckers call me before the minimum time is up so they can try to schedule it the day I am eligible. Where else can I donate blood to avoid these pushy motgerfuckers?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    There is this thing called visual voicemail now that turns your voicemail into a text.
    Often with humorous interpretations.

The chance of me answering a cold all from anyone I don't recognize is zero. People I do know? 50/50

Try answering this way

I do this about once a year or so when bored
    Usually play the role of desk sergeant who is monitoring phones from dead people.
    It can be quite entertaining

Spam calls go to zero for about a month afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I stopped answering the phone for the Red Cross. So now they call me from unknown numbers. I answered one on a hunch that it was them. Yup. Not gonna answer any more.

I started giving blood again this year. It makes me really queasy and can lead to a panic attack. So I don't mind doing it, I just have to go at my own pace and be in the right frame of mind. Those fuckers call me before the minimum time is up so they can try to schedule it the day I am eligible. Where else can I donate blood to avoid these pushy motgerfuckers?
    I stopped giving blood & plasma because it became so irritating.
    I really should start giving again though because it’s a good thing to do as a universal donor
    But they are relentless for sure

No shit, they're the most aggressive vampires since The Lost Boys. I try to give twice a year.. They're really testing my patience with all this nagging to try to get me to do more. Do they get cash commission now or something?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    No shit, they're the most aggressive vampires since The Lost Boys. I try to give twice a year.. They're really testing my patience with all this nagging to try to get me to do more. Do they get cash commission now or something?
    Your local trauma center might run their own blood donor program? I know the Army (probably military as a whole) has set up their own donor programs to cut the Red Cross middle man out of the picture.

On topic, I only pic up unknown numbers from area code that surrounds my work.

Sent from my Zune
    We Make Memory When We Do Bussiness

~75% of my work communication is phone calls; maybe 40+ calls a day. Email is only really used to notify/document. So yes, I answer my phone.

I also have noticed that when I communicate with someone outside of my industry; making a phone call is almost a super power in a weird way. If you can get someone on the phone you can cut the email inbox line and get action immediately.

~90% of tech talk threads would not exist if you all could just pick up the phone and call the manufacturer / shop and ask the question to the real expert. I find a lot of the threads pretty comical / lazy in that regard…
    - “Is this ____ damage warranty-able?”
    - “Does this boot fit this binding?”
    - “I sent an email to the manufacturer and they haven’t responded yet…”

***well did you try calling them?***

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm a construction project manager so yea I pick up calls from unknown local numbers during normal business hours, could be a new foreman/subcontractor, etc. trying to get a question answered quickly... after 4pm it's contacts only though, and I block all spam numbers immediately after I find out they're fakes or bullshit sales calls
    my head is perpetually in the clouds

Almost never. I think the only people I'd answer a call from are my wife and my parents.

Never for unknown numbers and Sometimes for contacts if I know it’s relevant to my current place and time. I currently have 297 unheard voice mails, so you know what to not do when calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Never for unknown numbers and Sometimes for contacts if I know it’s relevant to my current place and time. I currently have 297 unheard voice mails, so you know what to not do when calling.
    Apparently people don't really care if they talk to you or not.

I answer all numbers… all the time.

What are you all so afraid of?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    I answer all numbers… all the time.

What are you all so afraid of?
    It's a waste of time. You must be really bored.

Name:  IMG_5522.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  52.9 KB

^^^^^ funny.

But they’re more like telegrams than letters.
    Kids today might not get the telegram joke, however.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Apparently people don't really care if they talk to you or not.
    That’s a weird take. I don’t get it.

“Hey you around tonite to catch up?”
    “Yeah gimme a call after 9”

Simple, gets the job done. I Spend 4-6h on phone or zoom 5 days per week for my day job.
    I value my personal time and will not get sniped by some lonely friend who scrolls thru their phone trolling for someone to talk to.

But yeah I get that some people love to chat endlessly on the phone and there’s someone out there for them I’m sure.

All that said I know some couples who talk on the phone to their SO every day while at work. I can’t even imagine doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you should just know to leave a fucking message. no message no call back.

deal with it.
    ^this

I sometimes wax nostalgic for the days of coming home to a bunch of messages on the cassette tape machine.
    And not having been bothered all day with phone calls and interwebs.

I will often leave my dumb phone home when going out on a weekend.
    It’s cathartically refreshing

No, and the voicemail box has been full for at least 10 years, and I will never empty it. If you need to get in touch, send a text or an email. If you are a client or a potential client....how the fuck did you get my cell number in the first place? Try my office, but I'm probably golfing.

There are other options. If you don't want to answer your phone don't carry it. If you don't want people to leave voicemails, disable voicemail. If you don't want texts just have a landline. It's funny that we carry around a cell phone and get annoyed when people try to contact us on it. Or maybe we want to be able to contact people whenever WE feel like it but don't want other people to do that to us?

I asked them not to call me anymore and they put me on a no call list and stopped calling me!

I now donate at will.