Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Juneteenth

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    We need more paid time off in this country, asshole. Humans aren't slaves to their employers any longer in this country. We live in a society.
    haha oh man you kill me

Self employed- would love to be able to afford to recognize some of the “ holidays” you speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Self employed- would love to be able to afford to recognize some of the “ holidays” you speak of.

I’d wondered if there was some kind of tradeoff to being self employed but I can never seem to get small businessmen to talk about work!!!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I’d post a thoughtful reply but I gotta get to shop!

This is the fourth year we’ve had Juneteenth as a paid holiday. I believe we traded for Columbus Day so the busy-body micromanagers can go ahead and unbunch their tighty whiteys.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My Single Member LLC recognizes the holiday. Ms TBS works for our village’s newspaper, and The News Doesn’t Take Holidays.

One of my Great-great-grandmothers was a slave in Barbados. She met and ended up marrying an indentured servant from Ireland. He stayed after his contract was up, working for wages to buy her. They then emigrated to a Quaker colony in Canada approx 1820.

One of their descendants gave birth to my father in the 1920s South. He grew up quite the racist.

When Ms TBS was doing genealogy research on my family, she discovered this story of colorblind love in difficult times.

My brother and I played rock/paper/scissors -best three out of five - for the right to tell dad. I won

After that, whenever dad, my brother and I would get together, bro and I would always find a time to sing out “Say it Loud!. I’m Black and I’m Proud!” in front of dad. He would just mumble.
    Ha, crazy story.

My mom's family can be traced back to an English teenager who was involved in a rebellion against the English monarchy in the 1600s. He was spared execution and sentenced to slavery in Barbados. Seven years later he somehow got a pardon and was set free. He moved to Jamaica and either he or his descendants became wealthy plantation/slave owners.

The second family slaves that I mentioned in the OP were his descendants several generations (maybe four or five?) removed.

My uncle went to Jamaica in 80s and 90s and tracked down my great grandfather's family. He found them and eventually even got married on their land. It took more than 20 years of knowing them before they felt comfortable telling him that yes, they were related but that they were the direct descendants of the first families (always married white/white) and our branch were descendants of the second families (white owner/black slave families, and later 50:50/50:50 marriages after slavery ended).

They ended up giving my uncle the details in the form of those letters between my freed 3x great grandfather and my enslaved 3x great grandmother and the legal document that set her free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Ha, crazy story.

My mom's family can be traced back to an English teenager who was involved in a rebellion against the English monarchy in the 1600s. He was spared execution and sentenced to slavery in Barbados. Seven years later he somehow got a pardon and was set free.
    Always interesting to find out the real family stories.
    The British Crown started sending convicts to the colonies in 1600s, who they then sold into slavery. They had accumulated a huge convict population and needed a place to put them.

Typical sentence for these people was seven years as I understand it. So that may explain his pardon and decision to stay in Americas.

TI remember my mom explaining Juneteenth to me when I was about 5 years old. She figured I should know that half the town wasn't celebrating MY birthday.. It certainly did help me find thigs to do and new friends to make on my birthday though..

his is on point..
    After a lifetime of advocacy, a 1,400 mile walk to Washington D.C. and a 2.5 mile trek through Fort Worth Saturday afternoon in blazing heat, the “Grandmother of Juneteenth” 95-year-old Opal Lee says the work isn’t over yet. “Juneteenth is freedom, and I’m advocating that we celebrate freedom from the 19th of June to the 4th of July, but I want you to make yourself a committee of one, because you know people who aren’t on the same page as you,” Lee said after her three hour on-foot journey.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Juneteenth is my birthday so thank you! It's also a paid holiday at my private employer + a paid day off for birthday. I'm sitting in a condo at Carolina Beach right now through Tuesday, 500 feet from the beach.

TAKE A LAP BEATERS LOLOLOLOL!
    You are at a swanky beach condo and you are shitposting on TRG, and WE are the beaters ?

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    This is the first year it’s a fed holiday, which makes sense that workplaces are recognizing it for the first time. My workplace closes on fed holidays, and we don’t close when it isn’t a fed holiday. We used to hem and haw and equivocate over every holiday, which is why I pushed for this to keep things simple. Way better, nobody overthinks it. The bigoted assholes can point to the federal government if anybody questions a closing on MLK day or Juneteenth.
    Actually it is the 2nd year- but last year it passed so close to the actual date (2 days before), that is when Pres. Biden gave all Fed employees the Friday off paid. There was not time to mandate all the other companies and organizations (Banking, Stock Markets, and all the businesses that pretty much can't do much on a Federal Holiday) because of the Fed agencies that support, regulate, etc. them are shut down for the day.
    Last edited by RShea; 06-18-2022 at 05:52 PM.

We’re what? Two, maybe three years away from Old Navy having an annual Juneteenth sale?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    We’re what? Two, maybe three years away from Old Navy having an annual Juneteenth sale?

Right!?! Double edged sword I think… on one hand, f old navy, but on the other, you’ve achieved American acceptance. There is no greater honor than to have your very essence turned into corporate profi…. Uh wait, maybe that’s the original sin all over again???
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...