Thread: PF92 BB options

PF92 BB options

AKA BB92. Or PF4130. Or ID 41 mm with a 92 mm shell width, for a Cinch 30 mm spindle.

Anyway, putting aside the industry hilarity…

On my Kona i have the $59 RaceFace bb. Alu cups, ok bearings. I don’t ride in rain often.

On the GF’s Kona I’m wondering if it makes sense to spend $120 on the Wheels Mfg PF bearings. They’ve abondoned the two piece threaded shell they once had. Now they look similar to the PF solutions from Hope, Cane Creek. Is this the future of PF BB’s with 30 mm spindles?

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...iABEgKqa_D_BwE
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I'm in the buy whatever's cheap camp. Doesn't matter who makes them, 30mm spindle = small bearings that don't really last. Buy cheap bearings and replace them when they get shitty. The expensive ones don't last that much longer, and they don't pencil out.

I think I have at least two PF92 BBs and need one max. they are the newer style wheels mfg BBs. Let me know if you are interested in one.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Hambini does not make a BB86/BB92 to 30mm spindle bottom bracket. It goes against everything that he believes in.
    He goes as far as saying avoid this combination at all costs.

https://www.hambini.com/bb86-bottom-...-dub-crankset/

My Rocky Instinct has BB92 with a Race Face Next SL 30mm crank.
    When (not if) the Race Face BB goes bad, I’ll buy a Shimano 24mm crank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    My Rocky Instinct has BB92 with a Race Face Next SL 30mm crank.
    When (not if) the Race Face BB goes bad, I’ll buy a Shimano 24mm crank.
    My Devinci came with a Race Face Turbine 30mm crank and RF BB, a PF41 / BB86/92 press fit one. I fully expected it to fail within 6 months, so pieced together its replacement immediately, around an older XTR 24mm crankset I already had: got a Wolf Tooth 30T chainring and a Wheels Mfg thread together BB (it's an 11-speed bike).

2.5 years later and the original BB is still spinning fine. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    2.5 years later and the original BB is still spinning fine. Weird.
    More watts...
    But in all seriousness, some frame designs put a lot of stress on the bearings and they blow up in only a few months, and some allow the thin bearings to last for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    More watts...
    But in all seriousness, some frame designs put a lot of stress on the bearings and they blow up in only a few months, and some allow the thin bearings to last for years.
    My take is that an aluminum / metal shell is usually fine - the bb will usually last a while. Getting tolerances pretty tight isn't too hard in aluminum. Carbon shells (or aluminum inserts in carbon) are more of a crap shoot.

For years I was able to avoid PF BBs despite way too many frame purchases, but that kona Hei Hei CR just has some significant advantages over the other 120 mm flex stay bikes out there & after several thousand creak free miles on mine I’m not overly concerned about my GF’s new one.

I do thing overall the SRAM DUB is the best overall system regardless of BB shell, but I’m not going to run out to buy carbon dub crankset when I have an extra RF Next SL setup lying around for her to use.

Thanks all
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I had the Enduro Bearings one mentioned in this article and it lasted several years before I sold it when I got different cranks. The bearings spun as new. I got it after going through multiple Race Face bbs in short order over a wet winter.

It looks to be the same thing as the Wheels Mfg and Hope options you mentioned.

Worth the money, in my opinion, especially since ‘cheap’ Race Face bbs aren’t even that cheap.

https://nsmb.com/articles/searching-30mm-bb92-solution/