Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

where do I sell a baritone sax ?

I have a decent student baritone sax that I need to sell and have no clue how to go about it. How do I go about getting it assessed for value ? It's actually my nephew's that my youngest kid used a few years back and we forgot about. The plan is for me to sell and my nephew can put the money toward buying a car. He's in his last year of college and doesn't have shit to his own name and at least this way we can kind of pretend he put something toward a car other than help from his parents.

I would try FB marketplace

and make sure he practise's safe sax
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

eBay or fb

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

You can't say baritone sax and not play this.

I still call it The Jake.

Talk to the local middle and high school band directors.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'd keep it, and just learn how to play this, and at every party...

I'm kinda blown away your nephew can't figure this out himself or your college graduate daughter can't buy a car alone. Are you the ultimate helicopter parent or are they completely incompetent with standard adult things?

I should keep my opinions to myself, I know, ack, I can't help it though. I'm really curious.

I sold my trumpet on ebay to someone in South America.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm kinda blown away your nephew can't figure this out himself or your college graduate daughter can't buy a car alone. Are you the ultimate helicopter parent or are they completely incompetent with standard adult things?

I should keep my opinions to myself, I know, ack, I can't help it though. I'm really curious.
    I think a lot of people ask questions like this in the PR just to stimulate creative responses.

Find a local music shop and see if they do consignment for used student instruments
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

It's been at my house for 5-6 years so I thought I would sell it and surprise him with the cash, he's had some struggles in the last 2 years so a little bonus wouldn't hurt. I know if I was 22 and my uncle showed up with some unexpected scratch I would be very happy.
    My kid has ZERO knowledge of cars and asked for my help so I helped her.
    IDK, maybe you were amazingly competent at 22 and shucked all help offered from old fucks in your life or refused to ask for help ?

figure out how to sell an alto sax and then do the exact opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    You can't say baritone sax and not play this.

Ok, that's just weird. Morphine was being discussed by my buddies for the last week. What are the odds? I don't think I've uttered that name in 2 decades.

I went to see a band and The 40 Acre Mule opened for them, which is the best band you have never heard of. By a lot. They have a baritone sax. That led someone to remind us all of Morphine. We watched videos. Once of them was this one.

And there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    IDK, maybe you were amazingly competent at 22 and shucked all help offered from old fucks in your life or refused to ask for help ?
    No I made a bunch of dumb mistakes all by myself selling/buying, finding a place to live, getting jobs, etc. but what I learned from those mistakes helped me become a (somewhat) competent adult.

I never would have thought doing this before this thread, but next time I change my oil in my car I'm gonna get the 8 year old daughter to help. She can learn about cars now.

I have a decent student baritone sax that I need to sell and have no clue how to go about it. How do I go about getting it assessed for value ? It's actually my nephew's that my youngest kid used a few years back and we forgot about. The plan is for me to sell and my nephew can put the money toward buying a car. He's in his last year of college and doesn't have shit to his own name and at least this way we can kind of pretend he put something toward a car other than help from his parents.
    A sax instructor in the area should be able to give it a look over and idea on price. See if your local schools have a "Friends of xxxx music" organization that does music sales/swaps. They're usually geared towards student band geeks and orch dorks and are great to unload instruments.

I never would have thought doing this before this thread, but next time I change my oil in my car I'm gonna get the 8 year old daughter to help. She can learn about cars now.
    Tuesday after Memorial Day
    We had a slow leak in our Atlas' left rear tire and I was going to remove it and put on the spare to drop the tire to get patched.
    Thought this was a great time to show my y/o boy how to change a tire...
    Done this a few times, no biggie
    So get out spare and jack.
    Loosen lug nuts
    Jack up car
    Remove lug nuts

Mfkn rim/ tire won't come off. Pull, shake, shimmy, everything.
    It's stuck.

So before I let her call AAA, wife you tubed "getting a tire off an Atlas"
    Guess this is a common problem and you just need to whack on side of tire.
    So I Kicked it
    Nothing.

Kicked it again hard and whole thing came off the jack and the weight of the left back end all came to rest on tire that did come off.
    Jacked it back up and put on the spare.

Guess the boy learned something....

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I sold my trumpet on ebay to someone in South America.
    same here... intermediate level bach and a few besson's.

Reverb.com will give you the best cross section of musicians in the market place. Ebay works well for instruments too
    ​I am not in your hurry

I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed that this thread title isn't the beginning of a short joke with a good punchline.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Tuesday after Memorial Day
    We had a slow leak in our Atlas' left rear tire and I was going to remove it and put on the spare to drop the tire to get patched.
    Thought this was a great time to show my y/o boy how to change a tire...
    Done this a few times, no biggie
    So get out spare and jack.
    Loosen lug nuts
    Jack up car
    Remove lug nuts

Mfkn rim/ tire won't come off. Pull, shake, shimmy, everything.
    It's stuck.

So before I let her call AAA, wife you tubed "getting a tire off an Atlas"
    Guess this is a common problem and you just need to whack on side of tire.
    So I Kicked it
    Nothing.

Kicked it again hard and whole thing came off the jack and the weight of the left back end all came to rest on tire that did come off.
    Jacked it back up and put on the spare.

Guess the boy learned something....
    Ha, and my wife has an Atlas too, this is good info!

And admittedly - while I will teach my kids all I know about cars - I am mostly going to show them how much I suck at mechanical things unfortunately. They probably won't even have oil in their cars anyways, they will be of the EV generation.

Ha, and my wife has an Atlas too, this is good info!

And admittedly - while I will teach my kids all I know about cars - I am mostly going to show them how much I suck at mechanical things unfortunately. They probably won't even have oil in their cars anyways, they will be of the EV generation.
    As a dad of 3 (2 college grads and one starting next year) sometimes you only have 25 minutes to get 60 minutes of shit done. Keep in mind that trying to teach a kid something that I'm not a pro at extends the repair time by 2-3x so many times I just said fuck it and just did it solo. If that makes me a shitty parent I'll gladly be the president of that club.

I put EZ Oil drain plugs on all our vehicles and showed the boy how to change the oil and filter.... twice.. 2nd time I supervised and he did it with a few hints from me..

Wife and daughter know one of the men will take care of it.. Sexist? Perhaps, but I did ask the daughter if she wanted to learn how to do it herself..

I don't sell musical instruments, I hoard them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I put EZ Oil drain plugs on all our vehicles and showed the boy how to change the oil and filter.... twice.. 2nd time I supervised and he did it with a few hints from me..

Wife and daughter know one of the men will take care of it.. Sexist? Perhaps, but I did ask the daughter if she wanted to learn how to do it herself..

I don't sell musical instruments, I hoard them..
    Wanna buy a sax ?

Wanna buy a sax ?
    or a French horn? I’ve got one of those