Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

I’m not convinced the saga is over. We shall see what twists and turns remain. Yes, 2.5 years. At this point I’m like a circus shill trying to keep her pumped up for it so she doesn’t get cold feet. Which is happening. I’m actually holding features that I know about back to use as hype when emotions start to sag…
    Hilarious what people deal with. Amazing

Just sold a 2010 CX9 that our college kid was driving. Used prices were too high not to capture. He’ll share a car with our younger kid for a couple years then we’ll give him the money we sold it for and he can use it toward a car at graduation in a hopefully normal market.

The CX9 was maybe the most reliable car we ever owned. Highly recommend.

For those of you who know about the epic saga of my lovely wife’s journey to choose a car, you’ll be happy to know that after 2.5 years she finally picked something. It’s supposed to show up in 3 weeks.

I’m not convinced the saga is over. We shall see what twists and turns remain. Yes, 2.5 years. At this point I’m like a circus shill trying to keep her pumped up for it so she doesn’t get cold feet. Which is happening. I’m actually holding features that I know about back to use as hype when emotions start to sag…
    You can't leave us hanging...what'd she get??
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You can't leave us hanging...what'd she get??
    How much time do you have for the story? Fuck it, I don't have the time. I'll cut to the answer.

She couldn't decide between some luxury SUV thing or some off-road thing, so she ended up on a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk which is kinda in the middle. She wanted an Overland trim, but due to an eLSD shortage you can't get them with an off-road package, so you have to get a Trailhawk for that. She also wanted a 4xe (as did I) which is the hybrid version, but after 6 months they are still vaporware with another 6 months minimum till they exist. So we unfortunately got gas. Every so often she waivers, and I send her a video of another cool thing about the car.

Gotta make it three more weeks. My next selling point is the 3D photo of the cabin interior. She's stoked on the red stitching and the suede seats but hasn't seen the video yet. The latest concern is that she might hate the red color or the trailhawk sticker on the hood. I think we've gotten over the red paint color, but I might be having a body shop doing things to stickers in a few months...

It's a pretty badass car. She's one of the only people I know who speeds up when she turns on to dirt. She was in Moab once driving with her dad, who is a contractor, and he made her stop the car and let him out cause he was freaked out by how she was driving. He walked the last half mile. When her last Jeep was maybe 3 months old she skidded the thing down about 50 yards of a very, very steep scree covered high country road above Montezuma with the brakes fully locked. Backwards.

So I think it was a good choice for her. If I can just make it to the pick up date.

We have 2 vehicles other one is a 2013 leaf that my wife drives in town. This will see 1-3x week trips to MTB or ski and road trips with minimal in town use. We are also in the process of downsizing our camp trailer but still want 3500lb capacity to tow a tent trailer.

I don’t want to road trip with my wife and son in a 20 yo beater the safety factor of something <10 yo is worth money to me and I can afford something nice I’m just cheap. Given the current market the middle ground doesn’t seem to exist pricewise.

Currently deciding between another suv and a truck. I have always been a wagon guy but fun to drive with space and towing don’t go together so erring on big. I want good seats for back issues and adaptive cruise would be nice for trips but is not required.

A 2006 tundra double cab with 200k miles is a $20k truck right now for example. I can get a 2016 platinum or 2019 xlt f150 for $40k which seems like a better idea.

Also looking at a Honda passport or pilot for boring and reliable space.

Quote Originally Posted by timackie View Post
    Has the OP considered a 2 vehicle solution?

Until recently, I was able to ride my bicycle to work, so the 13 mpg for the 1st gen double cab Tundra was fine for the 4-6k annual miles. Hauling a family and gear is easy, improved trail head access compared to the previous Subaru, no wet dog smell after an outing with the dog and I can haul stuff for home and garden maintenance.

When my job and commute changed, my wife got a new car and I took her 2006 Civic hybrid. Roof rack accommodates 2 bikes and 3 skis, so I can often use it for fun as well as the commute. 40 mpg is pretty great as well. And I expect 3k-4K miles on the truck annually.

I figure both are worth $15k -$17k in total. Taxes and insurance are cheap as is maintenance.

But they aren’t Audis.

How much time do you have for the story? Fuck it, I don't have the time. I'll cut to the answer.

She couldn't decide between some luxury SUV thing or some off-road thing, so she ended up on a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk which is kinda in the middle. She wanted an Overland trim, but due to an eLSD shortage you can't get them with an off-road package, so you have to get a Trailhawk for that. She also wanted a 4xe (as did I) which is the hybrid version, but after 6 months they are still vaporware with another 6 months minimum till they exist. So we unfortunately got gas. Every so often she waivers, and I send her a video of another cool thing about the car.

Gotta make it three more weeks. My next selling point is the 3D photo of the cabin interior. She's stoked on the red stitching and the suede seats but hasn't seen the video yet. The latest concern is that she might hate the red color or the trailhawk sticker on the hood. I think we've gotten over the red paint color, but I might be having a body shop doing things to stickers in a few months...

It's a pretty badass car. She's one of the only people I know who speeds up when she turns on to dirt. She was in Moab once driving with her dad, who is a contractor, and he made her stop the car and let him out cause he was freaked out by how she was driving. He walked the last half mile. When her last Jeep was maybe 3 months old she skidded the thing down about 50 yards of a very, very steep scree covered high country road above Montezuma with the brakes fully locked. Backwards.

So I think it was a good choice for her. If I can just make it to the pick up date.
    Based on your description of her driving style, and short of going with a completely prepped Baja 1000 vehicle such as this, I think you made a good choice. All the best, and keep us posted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	419481
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Based on your description of her driving style, and short of going with a completely prepped Baja 1000 vehicle such as this, I think you made a good choice. All the best, and keep us posted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	419481
    There is about a 30% chance she is gonna end up in the GOTOS thread. If you see a red Trailhawk with the roof rack covered in beer stickers, say hi for me. And then tell her she made the right choice.

2014 cx-9 a decent buy? The Mazdas don’t hold value like Toyotas so there is one locally with 45k miles for under 20k

Yes

Kia telluride. A 48k optioned out version is more car than the Q7. Test drove both. Not an armchair opinion.

More of a boxy wagon than an SUV. More safety features than most. Better suspension than the Hyundai version.

3rd row or abundant cargo space. Better reliability than Toyota (go ahead, laugh). Maybe not older, simpler Toyotas, granted.

Made in US if you like that sort of thing.

Only downsides for me:
    -Can't turn off engine auto-off

-seat doesn't tilt up as much as other seats that tilt

-mileage is meh around town.

- it says Kia on the outside despite being a better vehicle than the Q7, let alone anything comparable in the non-luxury segment

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    2014 cx-9 a decent buy? The Mazdas don’t hold value like Toyotas so there is one locally with 45k miles for under 20k
    I've been really disappointed with the wife's CX3 and Mazda build quality generally.

Random warning lights & error codes, transmission replacement under warranty, the AC just crapped out (again).

I'd put a vote in for the outgoing Grand Cherokee model. I love mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Kia telluride. A 48k optioned out version is more car than the Q7. Test drove both. Not an armchair opinion.

More of a boxy wagon than an SUV. More safety features than most. Better suspension than the Hyundai version.

3rd row or abundant cargo space. Better reliability than Toyota (go ahead, laugh). Maybe not older, simpler Toyotas, granted.

Only downsides for me:

- it says Kia on the outside despite being a better vehicle than the Q7, let alone anything comparable in the non-luxury segment
    They have sold quite a few of those to non traditional Kia/Hyundai buyers.

Kia dealers around here all want $5k+ markup over msrp fuck that. Almost bought a 2017 q7 but they wouldn’t hit the price I wanted.
    Decided I don’t need or want a fancy car and negotiating on price for the 2014 cx9 gt. Hoping to get it under $20k out the door. Drive it until I can get a similarly sized electric with 300 miles of range that’s not a Tesla or 100k.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post

Only downsides for me:

It's still a Kia. It's going to take decades to get over that.

Buy a 3000$ shitbox Econoline van that barely runs, tell your wife and kids to go fuck themselves, drive to slab city to "make art", drink 30 hamms a day, discover what it really means to live.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Buy a 3000$ shitbox Econoline van that barely runs, tell your wife and kids to go fuck themselves, drive to slab city to "make art", drink 30 hamms a day, discover what it really means to live.
    Finally. The truth.

Reviews say the Honda hybrids don’t have great mileage.
    Just drove a ridgeline nice but small in the cab and have to take the wheel off my MTB to fit in the bed.
    Reasons not to buy an F150 lariat or platinum? Looking at 2016ish 2.7 or 3.5 eco boost. We have a leaf and an e cargo bike for in town so mostly a MTB ski camp and trip car.
    For what it's worth.. My 2018 F 150 with 2.7 ecoboost 10 speed trans has had no problems at all.. I use full synthetic oil...22.3 mpg for the past 3000 miles on trip odometer.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Decided I didn’t want a truck and bought a 2016 Honda Pilot today. 45k miles from the original owner with a stack of dealer service records. Exl with sensing, roof rails with crossbars and a factory hitch with wiring but without the transmission cooler. $28.5 with almost new falken wild peaks seemed like a deal.

Name:  6057E07A-E86B-4DD0-9349-660C130788A0.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  172.7 KB

Decided I didn’t want a truck and bought a 2016 Honda Pilot today. 45k miles from the original owner with a stack of dealer service records. Exl with sensing, roof rails with crossbars and a factory hitch with wiring but without the transmission cooler. $28.5 with almost new falken wild peaks seemed like a deal.
    Nice work, just got have f-f-fa-fa-faith.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Passport or Pilot have similar numbers to the Highlander and plenty of towing. QX60/hybrid meet the criteria and have decent used options. Ground clearance is weak though.

Telluride or Pallisade should be in the running but they’re impossible to find for a non-laughable price.
    Highlanders pilots and passports are all going for 35k plus for anything less than 8 years old and under 100k that’s nuts. I can’t get behind a cvt in a vehicle this big so no go on the Nissan/infinity.
    The Germans are cheaper, drove a 2017 Touareg today that listed at 28k with 80k miles with the bonus of I already have snow tires for it. There is another one for 31k with 30k miles to look at. Both gas not tdi.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I’m ok with fuck the wife and kids and drive off into the sunset in a shitbox van.

But you lost me at Hamms the beer not refreshing