Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Car replacement dilemma

I got into a minor crash with our 2015 Audi Q7 tdi and apparently a front bumper totals the car. High end shop repair quote is 21k, payout is 35k or 21 if I keep the car. I’m not in love with the vehicle but it has served us well and only has 65k miles. Was planning to keep it a few more years until I could go electric. We are selling our travel trailer and downsizing to a tent trailer so don’t need as much towing capacity.

Options under consideration;
    keep it and get it repaired someplace cheaper then drive into the ground. Pros nice car with known history and great tow vehicle. Cons expensive car to own out of warranty will be hard to sell with a salvage title. Unknown repair time.
    Buy a cheaper car to hold over until electrics are better. Thinking a 2nd gen highlander hybrid is a good call here. Wants awd, decent mpgs and enough room for activities and family road trips. Faster option
    Buy something nicer to replace, I have an eye on a Kia Sorento hybrid but they are all pre sold and marked up right now so. New highlander is an option as well but new Toyota seats have been dealbreakers in a few cars I sat in.

Leaning towards option 2 if it passes with the wife. Open to suggestions on cars to consider and other opinions.

Is there any damage other than cosmetic? If not:

Take the $21K payout, sell the car to gravitylover for $20K, and he can ditch the trouble prone Range Rover.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Can needs a front bumper and a bunch of cooling stuff behind it. I think the transmission cooler got pulled off and leaked so it at needs that fixed before driving.

Go find a local bar that caters to eastern Euros and you'll be able to find someone that can fix the cosmetics for CHEAP if nothing has been wrinkled in the crumple zone and drive it like you stole it and save the $21K for skis, hookers and blow. You should also do some serious shopping and make sure the $31K is a real replacement cost right now for a similar car BEFORE you take the payout either way. Where are you located ? Maybe someone here knows a guy in your area capable of cash price bodywork. You should be able to source a transmission cooler(after market) cheap. You can also just bypass it with a hose for the time being to drive locally.

These questions always come up and the answer is the same...Porsche. Just avoid the weird headlight ones with the IMS bearing problems.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there any damage other than cosmetic? If not:

Take the $21K payout, sell the car to gravitylover for $20K, and he can ditch the trouble prone Range Rover.
    Does GL need the bumper too, or is he good there?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I can buy another one at Craigslist list price for about 35 that won’t have a salvage title. I’m sure I can get it fixed for under 20k but how long will it take?

A valid question Carl. The Romanians will use whatever parts they can get their hands on, which is usually quicker and way cheaper than OEM stuff assuming you're ok with a rebuilt A/C compressor from a 1981 Citation and a homemade bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Does GL need the bumper too, or is he good there?
    I'm assuming that lack of a bumper is preferable to lack of functioning electronics.

GL could bolt on a nice piece of pressure treated 2x6 for a bumper, and GOTOS up that Audi.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A valid question Carl. The Romanians will use whatever parts they can get their hands on, which is usually quicker and way cheaper than OEM stuff assuming you're ok with a rebuilt A/C compressor from a 1981 Citation and a homemade bracket.
    That makes it a Q7-artisan series, old world hand crated workmanship- limited 1 of 1 series.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That makes it a Q7-artisan series, old world hand crated workmanship- limited 1 of 1 series.

Pending final numbers but if someone wants it for more than the insurance payout let me know. Name:  3FE5C112-D902-4C2D-8C49-5E4C8BC23045.jpeg
Views: 747
Size:  150.4 KB

The Romanians could fix that.

How'd it happen? Pass side looks a bit messed but rest of bumper has no impact damage.

The time frame on bodywork is a real deal now; we hit a deer in our odyssey in March and it’s still not repaired (scale of repair similar to yours, a bit less, 17-18k) Parts availability is fraught, for us it’s hood hinges; they are on back order all over the us for a couple months now.

Hit on the front right bumper making a left turn in heavy traffic. Problem is there are a bunch of things hidden in the bumper. Fixable for sure if parts can be found. Any cut rate shops in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Hit on the front right bumper making a left turn in heavy traffic. Problem is there are a bunch of things hidden in the bumper. Fixable for sure if parts can be found. Any cut rate shops in Seattle?
    PM Art Shirk, I think he's shared his go-to Audi guys a couple times around here.

Or just do what Timber suggests, get a Porsche, and a Romanian.
    I still call it The Jake.

Called the body shop and they said frame is bent don’t waste my time.

Best value for car that can take 4 people and gear skiing with decent gas mileage and safety? Awd/4wd required and prefer 3500lbs towing capacity minimum. Higher mileage but reliable ok.

Jeebus. Little ol love tap and the frame is bent??? They sure don't make em like they used to.

Best value for car that can take 4 people and gear skiing with decent gas mileage and safety? Awd/4wd required and prefer 3500lbs towing capacity minimum. Higher mileage but reliable ok.
    The Lexus GX460.

17mpg and 6500 lbs towing capacity.

Reliable? It's a Lexus.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

17mpg is garbage. I am spoiled by 30 on the highway in the tdi.

Toyota Sienna Hybrid

- 36 city/36 highway
    - 3500 lb. towing
    - Seats 7, or 4 plus shit ton of gear
    - 5 Star safety rating

17mpg is garbage. I am spoiled by 30 on the highway in the tdi.
    30? My Tacoma get 13...
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

We’ve been super happy with my wife’s highlander. She’s at 90,000 miles, had it for 4 years now and have only changed the oil and one set of tires. Dealership is offering us $21k, we bought it used for $24k. Gonna go for a Highlander hybrid. I can’t believe that impact bent the from though, that’s Insane

Pick 2 or 3 of those that are the most important to you and your options will really widen up in this market.

If a Toyota suv is out, then maybe look at the other TGR white meat, a Suby.
    I still call it The Jake.

Highlander hybrid is the current lead candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    30? My Tacoma get 13...
    Wow. My Tundra gets 14 city, 16-17 highway.