Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    That double cab, put a pickup bed on it and you got something

God damn Summer, they pay everyone a few hundred thousand a year to afford those prices?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ya full coverage is an empty promise after a car is 4 years old. I still keep it just for the free windshields and rental cars while we sort shit out to get shafted on the totaled cost reimbursement when shit gets wrecked.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Lexus RX-H or Highlander Hybrids really are the only two that meet your criteria.

Unless you can wait for a new car to arrive you're stuck paying the current inflated prices for used cars.

How about the new Honda trail thingies I've been seeing ads on TV for? CR-V Trail or something?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Lexus RX-H or Highlander Hybrids really are the only two that meet your criteria.

Unless you can wait for a new car to arrive you're stuck paying the current inflated prices for used cars.
    OR look into Volvo. He might really be into an XC60/90 T6/8 AWD. They don't carry the "Toyota Tax" and are way freaking nicer. Unlike everything else these days, seems Volvos have done somewhat better in regard to the astronomical used car prices we've been seeing. Can probably get a nice CPO for less than your average blah boomer-mobile.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Mark from savagegeese jokes about the unreliability of BMWs a lot. He traded in a current-gen XC90 for an X7.

The Volvos are nice but more than I really want to spend. Looking to be in the low 20k range for something utilitarian more than nice.
    Now leaning towards an Outback 3.6 that is just big enough but will restrict us to a lighter tent trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Mark from savagegeese jokes about the unreliability of BMWs a lot. He traded in a current-gen XC90 for an X7.
    The X7 is the current go-to bloated whale Whole Foods parking lot accessory for when you want to stand out in a city of Range Rovers and G-Wagens.

Garish looking things.

The XC90 is for the very attractive mom in yoga pants or tennis skirt. Both are way more attractive than the BMW.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Oh wow. I missed that. He had that sick 10 year, "Unlimited" (999,999 really) mile CPO warranty too. Surprised he gave that up.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    The Volvos are nice but more than I really want to spend. Looking to be in the low 20k range for something utilitarian more than nice.
    Now leaning towards an Outback 3.6 that is just big enough but will restrict us to a lighter tent trailer.
    Gotcha. Will have to brainstorm that one a bit. Go test drive the Outback and see what you think. I think they're pretty good too, but might also feel like a tin can coming from an Audi. They're obviously good in snow tho and more than capable enough for most people's camping/adventure needs.

I also found a 2014 mdx with 65k for 25k which I might go drive. Highlanders are way expensive for what you get, 10 years old and 100k goes for low 20s.
    There is a 2015 Outback 3.6 with 60k for 23 or I can get a 2016 for 26 with the fancy cruise control.

God damn used car pricing is out to lunch.

If having hybrid isn't a necessity, definitely look into the Mazda CX-9. It should drive better than its competitors, and they've been doing a nice job with their interiors. Only real knock is that it's smaller than the Highlander/Pilot.

I also found a 2014 mdx with 65k for 25k which I might go drive. Highlanders are way expensive for what you get, 10 years old and 100k goes for low 20s.
    There is a 2015 Outback 3.6 with 60k for 23 or I can get a 2016 for 26 with the fancy cruise control.
    I'm also living in Seattle, while I don't tow anything with our cars our use cases are remarkably similar. 3 years ago when I was looking for a new car we ended up choosing between an MDX, 2016 Outback 3.6, and the 2017 Outback 2.5. The 3.6 won out for a few reasons, the front suspension was much stiffer and didn't brake dive like the 2.5, the acceleration is satisfying enough while not being a sports car, and lastly with Subaru ditching the 6 I felt it would likely hold a bit more value used vs a turbo 4 long-term.

Good luck with the search!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The X7 is the current go-to bloated whale Whole Foods parking lot accessory for when you want to stand out in a city of Range Rovers and G-Wagens.

Garish looking things.

The XC90 is for the very attractive mom in yoga pants or tennis skirt. Both are way more attractive than the BMW.
    I don't mind the X7 grill as much now. Probably says something about normalization of big grills on ICE cars because I used to think it was gigantic. Still, I prefer the looks of the XC90. And grocery store MILFs.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh wow. I missed that. He had that sick 10 year, "Unlimited" (999,999 really) mile CPO warranty too. Surprised he gave that up.
    I think he said it was just in the shop too much.

Outback 3.6s tow 3000lbs on flat ground but only 1500 up hill what the fuck and why is that buried in the manual instead of the actual rating. At least I found it now instead of on the side of i90 with a blown up transmission. The search continues but fuck used prices are out of control right now.

We had some discussion about the used market a while back. It's worse now. Fucked is the word that comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We had some discussion about the used market a while back. It's worse now. Fucked is the word that comes to mind.
    Lol yup. It's why you and I stick to our geriatric European cars, maintanence drama be damned.

Yeah but I just lost 2 weeks of work and I still don't have it solved. I fiddled with it for a while this morning and everything is fine so I need to wait for it to fault again to see if I can find something wrong. That will probably happen 100 miles from home.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    God damn used car pricing is out to lunch.
    Normal cars are dropping fast.

Wholesale volume is down like 40%. Lots of no sales. It will start to show in retail numbers soon.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

@Bobby, I sure hope you're right.

Outback 3.6s tow 3000lbs on flat ground but only 1500 up hill what the fuck and why is that buried in the manual instead of the actual rating. At least I found it now instead of on the side of i90 with a blown up transmission. The search continues but fuck used prices are out of control right now.
    Passport or Pilot have similar numbers to the Highlander and plenty of towing. QX60/hybrid meet the criteria and have decent used options. Ground clearance is weak though.

Telluride or Pallisade should be in the running but they’re impossible to find for a non-laughable price.

Highlanders pilots and passports are all going for 35k plus for anything less than 8 years old and under 100k that’s nuts. I can’t get behind a cvt in a vehicle this big so no go on the Nissan/infinity.
    The Germans are cheaper, drove a 2017 Touareg today that listed at 28k with 80k miles with the bonus of I already have snow tires for it. There is another one for 31k with 30k miles to look at. Both gas not tdi.

I don't do VW off warranty if I can help it. Unless it's a beater I picked up for loose sofa change.

@Bobby, I sure hope you're right.
    X2