Yellowstone roads closed! 6/2022

Welp the long planned camping trip is off. Perhaps they'll have the roads re-built by October for our fall trip.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/14/us/ye...day/index.html

(Looks like Bunny ran off with his NP thread.)

This is also discussed on the Yellowstone tourists messin with sasquatch or whatever that idiots messing with wildlife thread is called.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hearsay from another board:

The North Entrance road appears to be the most damaged area in the park. There is a back service road/track that goes thru the hills from Mammoth to Gardiner. There has been much local discussion about improving that road exactly because of this possibility. But there is a strong lobby against ANY construction within the park. They have stymied any improvements up to now. Realistically, that road should be improved to the point it becomes the primary entrance road. It isn’t as scenic as the road thru the Gardiner River Canyon, but it wouldn’t be subject to flooding and annual rock slides.
    Another concern is highway 89 from Livingston/I-90 to Gardiner may have also suffered catastrophic damage. Water was multiple feet deep across the highway in Yankee Jim Canyon and a highway bridge over the Yellowstone north of the canyon had a washout on one end and it is unknown if the bridge has suffered structural damage.
    There is also a significant threat of catastrophic flooding returning later in the week as more rain is forecast and will be accompanied by much higher temperatures creating rapid snow melt and huge runoff. All in all this could be close to a death blow to the town of Gardiner which is 100% dependent on summer tourism and Yellowstone Park.

This appears to be a long term problem. Who knows when the roads will re-open. When they do, can you imagine the shit show crowds that will be in GTNP and Yellowstone this summer??? Hard pass!
    Right now I have a res. at the best campsite at Lizard Creek from July 17-21. If I do go, I will probably just spend all my time at the campsite and on the water. Well, maybe I will hit up the pizza place between Colter Bay and Lizard Creek for some pizza, suds and huckleberry ice cream
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Bigger discussion in the MT thread starting with this post

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=6632539

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This appears to be a long term problem. Who knows when the roads will re-open. When they do, can you imagine the shit show crowds that will be in GTNP and Yellowstone this summer??? Hard pass!
    Right now I have a res. at the best campsite at Lizard Creek from July 17-21. If I do go, I will probably just spend all my time at the campsite and on the water. Well, maybe I will hit up the pizza place between Colter Bay and Lizard Creek for some pizza, suds and huckleberry ice cream
    I don’t think there is much water in Jackson Lake up by Lizard Creek. Well, maybe there is now?

"Erosion ALWAYS wins"

-GOD/FSM
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Imagine being in the RV you just picked up in SLC after flying in there from very far away on your way there (or scheduled to anytime soon)?? Every campsite for thousands of miles in every direction is already booked and now you won't be able to get to yours. Guess it's rest stop camping now... What a huge bummer that must be,,,

I'm more concerned about the people potentially trapped inside the park with their vehicles and might not be able to get back to their jobs in time to avoid getting fired

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I'm more concerned about the people potentially trapped inside the park with their vehicles and might not be able to get back to their jobs in time to avoid getting fired
    Genuine question, are there still a lot of employers like that in the post-COVID era? Seems like most employers have become much more understanding, but the wife and I both work in healthcare.

We talked about doing a yellowstone/beartooth trip in this time frame, I'm glad we didn't plan it after all.

Also could be an issue getting food and other staples in to the folks who are stuck on the other side of the closures. Might have to chopper in stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Also could be an issue getting food and other staples in to the folks who are stuck on the other side of the closures. Might have to chopper in stuff..
    They can't dine on fresh Elk meat?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    They can't dine on fresh Elk meat?
    They could also eat eachother..

Imagine being in the RV you just picked up in SLC after flying in there from very far away on your way there (or scheduled to anytime soon)?? Every campsite for thousands of miles in every direction is already booked and now you won't be able to get to yours. Guess it's rest stop camping now... What a huge bummer that must be,,,

How about the people just up 89 who lost everything but the clothes on their backs? The people whose livelihoods depend on the tourists that won't be coming through their town for the foreseeable future? They must be bummed too.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It sounds like Yellowstone will be reservation only once it reopens (southern entrances/loop)
    So it could potentially be ok, dare I say better, depending on the number they land on
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    It sounds like Yellowstone will be reservation only once it reopens (southern entrances/loop)
    So it could potentially be ok, dare I say better, depending on the number they land on
    For sure. My sister was in town from NC last week and we did a day in Yellowstone. I was chatting with the ranger at Old Faithful and commented how crowded it was and he said that in two more weeks there’d be 2.5 times more people in the park. I just can’t imagine that that would be a positive experience for anyone?

So yeah, we agreed that a reservation entry system would be beneficial.

Jesus, who is the asshole that made this meme. It’s a moose. A freaking moose.

Yellowstone South loop reopens Wednesday 6/22/2022 at 8am. Entry is alternate day depending on plate number with numerous exceptions, including confirmed camping and lodging reservations. Check faq in link below.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...d-recovery.htm

I took a moto ride into GTNP yesterday. The park is not overly slammed and the weather is incredible right now.
    The lake is low but it's been lower. And i saw nada on the water, coulda been waterskiing alone on all that acreage. Fuckin' cold though...

There's so much camping around here that not having a reservation or a place to stay is yer own fault. Gros ventre CG is still pretty quiet too.

The access rd. to the dam is being worked on so parking could be challenging but NBD.
    Jenny lake parking was full to the main road by 10 am.

Moosely seconds is gone; selling overpriced art outta there now. Dumbass greedy Dornan's kids.

The day the park opens back up would be a good one to go check it out. Not much to wash out until ya get to the Lewis falls bridge from the south entrance.