I need a new trailer

The wife and son (10) are avid bikepackers. However, they are not able to carry much weight. Further, the wife really wants to drink tap water, not filtered water. This means that I carry most of the weight on our trips, and it's often a heavy load since we also like our camp cocktails.

We mostly do one-night trips on double track and dirt roads.

I have a Bob, which I have found is frustrating to use. It is almost impossible to attach to the bike by myself and because of the hitch and pivot design is difficult to use when heavily loaded and wants to fall over when parking or reversing.

Because we only bikepack 6 or so nights a year it does not make sense to spend a lot of money.

Ideas for a trailer? I have looked at this but never seen it in use: https://www.aosom.com/item/aosom-wan...ARGO%20TRAILER

I also thought about buying an old Chariot and using it as a trailer instead since I have used one extensively and like how it handles and attaches.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Have you considered just driving to the campsite?

Seriously though. Packing in water because your wife doesn't want to use a filter seems silly.

Leave her home. Solves one problem, but may likely create another.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Packing in water because your wife doesn't want to use a filter seems silly.
    Or just make her carry the water and then see if she stills decides she can only drink tap...

thanks, its clear why all of the marriages fail around here

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Because we drink too much filtered water?

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    If your marriage fails over filtered water, you were doomed from the start.

Have you thought about spending the money on a fancy water filter? I'm thinking something like an MSR Guardian. That creates super clean water and if you're dealing with any sort of taste leftover (which I don't think you would be with this style of filer) then Nuun tablets are super helpful.

Not trying to be a jerk and I'm not sure how many miles you're looking at doing... for me hauling water for three on long days sounds like a death sentence. You could also take the time to cache water in bags (msr drom bags for example) that you could ride out with.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Because we drink too much filtered water?
    Fluoride maintains healthy enamel and relationships.

Not being able to carry your own water does not equate to avid bikepacking to me, nor does eschewing water from a filter. I appreciate that you are biking to camp instead of driving, but......

A tandem bike will give her no option but to help carry the load. Team effort. Just a thought...

Otherwise, I'm curious to see her setup. She really can't carry anything else? Is her frame pack totally utilized for other essentials? Could you carry some of the stuff in her framepack so she can use a camelbak/other branded reservoir in the frame pack to satiate her water requirements? Also does she already use a hydration pack? Fork-mounts for additional water bottles?

How/what is her gearing? She should in theory be able to carry more weight with a wider range, lower bailout gears, this would help you and her tremendously as you are also having to carry much of your son's weight, too.

A reasonable wife would at least drink filtered water instead of making you carry the burden of the load so she can have her tap water. Maybe making a few adjustments on her bike would help you from having to overload the Bob, which is what it sounds like you're doing?

/random thoughts

Kind of have to agree with everything that has been said. They make pretty awesome filters now and with the ability to add flavour ( Nuun, mio, koolaid, lemon juice) I can’t imagine pulling / hauling water because of the taste.

Get a good filter and do a taste test at home!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It sounds like the others have the tap water thing covered. I will ignore that and assume most of the weight is because you're hauling in ice, booze and mixers as this is something I can get behind. I would stay away from that Aosom solely on the fact its "Heavy Duty" steel. I haven't experienced that one in particular but kid trailers of that construction style suck. They show it attached to quite the steed but I do have to wonder if it will tow straight.

Assuming I was dead set on not using a BOB trailer that I already owned to haul my wet bar into the wilderness I would by searching for a Burley Nomad. If you compare the weight of the Aosom Elite Trailer vs a Nomad its over 10 pounds heavier. Which is more than a gallon of hooch. If I couldn't find a used one or stomach the $350 for a new one I would be searching out a used kid hauler Chariot/Burley. Obviously a stock kid hauler is heavier than needed so I would modify it so it wasn't so bulky and maybe install one of those hand pump style camper faucets for the wife. The single models seem to be more prevalent around here on the used market, this would be good for you since they not only cost less but weigh less too. I'm willing to bet you can find some poor sap to pawn the BOB trailer off on which will counter the price of the replacement booze cruiser.

Make sure we get a TR.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Have you considered a cargo bike? It sounds like you are basically car camping, so just get a car replacement.

I can't remember the brand, but there was a 3rd wheel type trailer (think kid's trail-a-bike without seat/pedals). This allowd you to attach pannier to the trailer, in theory doubling your bike capacity. Not sure of the attachment ease or system.

2nd on the cargo bike.

Found it - looks like Bob has something similar as well.

https://extrawheel.com/