Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Historians believe the ancient Polynesians paddled their canoes thousands of miles across the S. Pacific. Some even speculate they went as far as S. America. Where they crazy? I dunno.
    no crazy, just eating up the Sarpa salpa, aka the “dreamfish.”

the Polynesians apparently would tie their scrotums to the seats of their boats by a string to give them an additional “sense” of the boats movements for navigational purposes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/s...oria-1.5944780

Race from Port townsend to AK, you gotta know when to go and when to hunker down
    The guy on that yellow weta was cool, talked to him about his setup a couple times. Here he is at 5 this morning

Almost certain this blue catamaran is the one that lost the mast.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220613_050507.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	418788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220612_153751.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	418789

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    the Polynesians apparently would tie their scrotums to the seats of their boats by a string to give them an additional “sense” of the boats movements for navigational purposes
    That ^^ definatly sounds like something Cliff Claven would say
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That ^^ definatly sounds like something Cliff Claven would say
    Wade Davis said it - he who spends a lot of time up your way (around the Stikine)

there goes any desire to eat the dreamfish

Wade Davis said it - he who spends a lot of time up your way (around the Stikine)
    yup buddy has a placeup thar with Dave Suzuki, Wades really good at doing great sounding intro's in fact his intro's usually sound > whatever he is introducing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Holy fucksticks.
    Hard no there.

Not to mention. I had no idea that was a thing.
    And I am king of random useless knowledge.
    Dayyyyyuuuuummnnn.

Some people use dead reckoning for navigation, others use nut reckoning.

Those are just the excuses they use to get away with their sexual pleasure preferences.

The Hudson and E. River rip some days. And then add the possibility of getting hit by a SI ferry, water taxi or the occasional stray log, and this is a feat. This may be more of an accomplishment than divegirl's.
    It was an adventure and we encountered all those hazards you mention, probably the scariest being the timing of when to cross in front of the SI ferry (we started and ended at the Statue of Liberty), but I gotta say having also paddled many miles in the PNW, I think SUPing 70 miles in Puget Sound would be way harder than the Manhattan circumnavigation. Much colder water for one thing. And SUP is a lot more work than kayaking. Not to mention twice as many miles. Much credit to divegirl for finishing this. I'd be tempted to kayak it if I still lived out there. And were 10 years younger.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I paddled my kayak 37 miles around Manhattan Island in a day, and I'm no crazy endurance athlete. This 70-mile race seems like a great event and helluva an achievement (especially going all night) but not at all in the realm of mental illness.
    I’ve wanted to do that one for a long time. Maybe I’ll start training and aim for the fall. I need something to motivate me for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Some people use dead reckoning for navigation, others use nut reckoning.
    Hard astern has a new meaning.

Hard a Lee? Party on bro.

I believe this is how navigating was done on Flowing Lake. Was Bobby Polynesian? July 4th is just around the corner, I still miss the annual updates on the Independence Day festivities.

Dive girl rocks!

I would sup with you but I might not be able to keep up.

I believe this is how navigating was done on Flowing Lake. Was Bobby Polynesian? July 4th is just around the corner, I still miss the annual updates on the Independence Day festivities.
    X2
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I’ve wanted to do that one for a long time. Maybe I’ll start training and aim for the fall. I need something to motivate me for sure.
    There are several local kayak clubs that organize occasional trips. We hooked up with one of them. Local knowledge really helps when it comes to timing the tidal currents up the East River and Harlem River, and then down the Hudson, plus navigating ship traffic etc. Obviously these clubs require you to have experience and proper equipment. Do it! It is a really unique way to experience the city.

Divegirl has always been a bad ass. When she came out to Hood summer 2004 or 05, been a while, she was killing it with a bunch of mags on some kickers. And relatively new to skiing then if I recall. Definitely one you’d want to hang with.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Kudos DiveGrrrrrrl!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    It was an adventure and we encountered all those hazards you mention, probably the scariest being the timing of when to cross in front of the SI ferry (we started and ended at the Statue of Liberty), but I gotta say having also paddled many miles in the PNW, I think SUPing 70 miles in Puget Sound would be way harder than the Manhattan circumnavigation. Much colder water for one thing. And SUP is a lot more work than kayaking. Not to mention twice as many miles. Much credit to divegirl for finishing this. I'd be tempted to kayak it if I still lived out there. And were 10 years younger.
    I don’t want to distract from Divegirl’s crazy awesome accomplishment here like some have, but I gotta just say props to this. You and Timber et al are right; the currents alone on that route are wild. Then add shipping and transit and pleasure traffic? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I don’t want to distract from Divegirl’s crazy awesome accomplishment here like some have, but I gotta just say props to this. You and Timber et al are right; the currents alone on that route are wild. Then add shipping and transit and pleasure traffic? Wow.
    My girlfriend goes to a swim camp in Mexico where a couple people have done the swim around Manhattan. I'm trying to get us on the English channel support team for another friend of hers. She was impressed watching divegirl and the others this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    My girlfriend goes to a swim camp in Mexico where a couple people have done the swim around Manhattan. I'm trying to get us on the English channel support team for another friend of hers. She was impressed watching divegirl and the others this weekend.
    Damn, I continue to be in awe.

I apologize, I was being an asshole. Hit a recent nerve that I transferred. Do what ever you want to your body.

Again, I was an asshole. I can't imagine that level of fitness. Congrats.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I apologize, I was being an asshole. Hit a recent nerve that I transferred. Do what ever you want to your body.

Again, I was an asshole. I can't imagine that level of fitness. Congrats.
    See? I told you guys.
    Now, we're all one big, happy forum again.

As far as swimming around Manhattan, I'm afraid to walk on the sidewalks with all the garbage juice and pee everywhere. That shit flows into the river after a rain.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Divegirl has always been a bad ass. When she came out to Hood summer 2004 or 05, been a while, she was killing it with a bunch of mags on some kickers. And relatively new to skiing then if I recall. Definitely one you’d want to hang with.
    I'm pretty sure she started skiing during the 03-04 winter, same year at the Tahoe summit. I was there with Telenater, Lego, Arty50, and the whole KW crew. DG caught on quickly to the skiing.

And holy crap, 70 miles of paddling is crazy. I'm solidly spent after 18 miles in a double ocean kayak. Congrats DG!
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp