Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More back sweep mtn handle bar

I'm looking at the SQ Lab mountain bike handle bar with either a 12 or 16 degree back sweep to ease some hand and wrist pain. Current bar is a One Up with 8 degree back sweep. Going with more will in effect shorten the reach/hand position relative to the seat, which may mean a longer stem. Does anyone have experience with increasing back sweep? Did you change your stem length? How do you like more back sweep?
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

That much sweep is going to make a big adjustment to your effective reach.
    Like 15mm difference with the 12* and 25mm with the 16*

Here,s a geometry calc site that allows you to input bar sweep and every thing else from grip length to chamois thickness….

https://madscientistmtb.com/bike-geometry-compare/

More back sweep mtn handle bar

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    I'm looking at the SQ Lab mountain bike handle bar with either a 12 or 16 degree back sweep to ease some hand and wrist pain. Current bar is a One Up with 8 degree back sweep. Going with more will in effect shorten the reach/hand position relative to the seat, which may mean a longer stem. Does anyone have experience with increasing back sweep? Did you change your stem length? How do you like more back sweep?
    Do it. Don’t change your stem until you spend time on your bike with the new bars. More sweep is more ergonomic and you might like being a bit more upright, it’ll take pressure off your hand and the sweep will help with your wrist issues.

I use Jones Hbars on my mtb and would never go back to a straighter bar. Try the new bars so they are tilted down a little

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

9-12 for mnt bike for me works well. I leave the stem alone, but lenghten after a ride or if needed

only change one thing at a time

Back in the day I bought 3 different bars with 3 different sweeps, just trying them in my shop sitting on the bike without permenantly instaling them, i supose I didnt feel much difference cuz i took them all back

in the past I have changed stems to deal with reach by getting the bars higher & closer and i know i feel that

a large 5.5 yeti definalty felt long so I got the medium and its perfect, medium bullit is also perfect right off the show room floor the new geo feels good so i didnt change anything

YMMV
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-11-2022 at 12:30 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Back in the day I bought 3 different bars with 3 different sweeps, just trying them in my shop sitting on the bike without permenantly instaling them, i supose I didnt feel much difference cuz i took them all back

in the past I have changed stems to deal with reach by getting the bars higher & closer and i know i feel that

a large 5.5 yeti definalty felt long so I got the medium and its perfect, medium bullit is also perfect right off the show room floor the new geo feels good so i didnt change anything

YMMV
    This is very pertinent information

16 seems like a lot of sweep. Narrow shoulder width can be more ergo with more sweep but 16 still seems like overkill.
    Id never buy a bar to lengthen or shorten reach. If the added sweep works for you i adjust to the preferred reach after you found your bar with a reach adjust headset or maybe 3-5 mm on/off a stem

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That much sweep is going to make a big adjustment to your effective reach.
    Like 15mm difference with the 12* and 25mm with the 16*

Here,s a geometry calc site that allows you to input bar sweep and every thing else from grip length to chamois thickness….

https://madscientistmtb.com/bike-geometry-compare/
    Whoa, that is some next level bike geeking right there. Thanks, I'll have fun playing around with that.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    16 seems like a lot of sweep. Narrow shoulder width can be more ergo with more sweep but 16 still seems like overkill.
    Id never buy a bar to lengthen or shorten reach. If the added sweep works for you i adjust to the preferred reach after you found your bar with a reach adjust headset or maybe 3-5 mm on/off a stem

Agreed, 16 does seem like a lot. I'm not wanting to change bar to adjust reach, just get my wrists at a better angle. If I like it I'll probably get a longer stem to maintain the same reach I have now.

Agreed, 16 does seem like a lot. I'm not wanting to change bar to adjust reach, just get my wrists at a better angle. If I like it I'll probably get a longer stem to maintain the same reach I have now.
    Makes sense. Just thought of another possible factor. They talk about the scottish ews riders style of tucking their elbows in riding through the tight trees they have. Maybe its possible more sweep would help for someone with that style. Personal preference is always a factor

I have wide shoulders so maybe I don't notice sweep or width for that matter cuz I took a grip off when I was wrenching and I'm running 800mm, but I do notice reach
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-11-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Makes sense. Just thought of another possible factor. They talk about the scottish ews riders style of tucking their elbows in riding through the tight trees they have. Maybe its possible more sweep would help for someone with that style. Personal preference is always a factor

The current style of riding with your elbows out like wings isn’t ergonomic at all. You also have more power and stability with your arms closer to your torso

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The current style of riding with your elbows out like wings isn’t ergonomic at all. You also have more power and stability with your arms closer to your torso

I think the current elbows out style is partly a result of bars being too straight. A bar with less back sweep seems to encourage elbows out. Maybe the wider bar trend has contributed to this style too.

not ever body is down with that riding position but i like it, in attack position/ elbows out/ weight over the front wheel

I think the current elbows out style is partly a result of bars being too straight. A bar with less back sweep seems to encourage elbows out. Maybe the wider bar trend has contributed to this style too.
    Bingo

I thought itd be the opposite. Like bench press. Easier to press more weight with open grip than closed grip. Too wide you lose arm travel for eating up big holes. Should get the most arm absorption possible if grips are set at shoulder width. I like a little wider than shoulder width for a wider platform but not too wide that i cant soke up trail hits where i need a lot of arm bend

I thought itd be the opposite. Like bench press. Easier to press more weight with open grip than closed grip. Too wide you lose arm travel for eating up big holes. Should get the most arm absorption possible if grips are set at shoulder width. I like a little wider than shoulder width for a wider platform but not too wide that i cant soke up trail hits where i need a lot of arm bend

You just agreed with me. Closer to the body equals shoulder width. Think of it this way, is it easier to do a push up with your arms way out to the side or shoulder width?

You just agreed with me. Closer to the body equals shoulder width. Think of it this way, is it easier to do a push up with your arms way out to the side or shoulder width?

Yes youre right we're getting at the same point it seems. Wider grip helps with keeping the bar straight. Its a balance between eating up holes straight on , where shoulder width allows the most arm flexion, and a bit wider to keep from controlling the steering. Slower speeds the wider bar probably has more benefits. Pinned through deep holes a wide bar still helps but arm flexion has to be factored more

I've upgraded the bar/stem on my pedal bike from the stock Santa Cruz low rise(780)/55 stem to the PNW Range bar which is 800x35rise/10sweep/35x0stem. The bar is a 31.8. This setup has made a huge change and benefit for me as well as my wife who converted to same. Better hand position, softer bar, taller and wider.

As far as what I think re bar width, bent elbows and being more upright, bent elbows do two things; bent elbows open chest up for easier breathing and slows steering down so turning is a combo of body position, lean and not turning the bar. WTBS, I have friends who are going to shorter 150 rise bar and seem to do better doing technical SB's and rocks......

Better breathing with elbows out? Laughing my ass off. Link to study showing this?

Turning has always been about body position, lean and not turning the bar. It’s how bicycles work and what makes them amazing.

I think he and i meant addition leverage so the bars dont get torn out of your hands. Ruts and corners can do that.

I think he and i meant addition leverage so the bars dont get torn out of your hands. Ruts and corners can do that.

Really? It’s not a 750 dual sport. You think 50-100mm makes a significant difference on a bicycle? The increased power of keeping your limbs closer to your body would be far greater than any advantage a longer bar would provide.

What other sports gain a power advantage by having your limbs farther away from your core? Roughly shoulder width is optimal, arms or legs.

You think 50-100mm makes a significant difference on a bicycle?
    You think it doesn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    You think it doesn't?
    No. Caveat, once you get much past shoulder width. Beyond perceived leverage advantage why do you think it does?

Gonna fire up the ine hitter, pound a few laps on the eeb and find out. We all should.