Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 192
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    643

    The Black Crows thread

    With so many interesting options in the Crows line-up, an increasing presence in the ski world, and, more importantly, I see more talk about them on here as well, isn’t it about time for a Black Crows thread? I think it does. So here it goes.

    I had my first Black Crows experience back in 2012/13 when I picked up a used pair of Sevun II. Such a wonderful locomotive! That was shortly followed with a pair of first year Camox Freebird (177) with Verticals and later the first year regular 186 Camox (which was by some, considered to be a mini Sevun) with alpine binders. In the ever quest for the ultimate ski(-s), one by one they all got replaced for various reasons. I guess the idea of building a quiver had not really settled with me back then… However, in general I liked them all, and have since kept a keen eye on Crows. I have also been close of getting Corvuses from those days and onwards, but it has yet to happen. TBH, now, I’m curious about getting on a pair of the OG shape (like 2008-2012) 196 Corvus, just to find out what launched the brand.

    Last year I snagged a pair of the updated 189 Animas, and I really clicked with them. I tend to ski pretty centered and they did everything I wanted them to, and they kept me smiling in just about any condition. Just recently, I picked up a pair of discounted 183 Justis, hoping that they’ll be the stout all mountain ski alternative that carries a genuine freeride personality. (Which I hoped, for instance, both the Hendryx 917 and Rossignol E100 should be, but turned out not to be) Time will tell.

    Speaking about Justis, kicking off the thread with a question to the board. I have seen some (negative) views on them having too long rocker/too much tip splay. Can’t really imagine that on my pair. It seems that they all have been on the 189’s. Have anybody had 183’s and 189’s side by side for profile comparisons?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Location
    Deep in the heart of....
    Posts
    251
    Been wondering if there was already a crows thread! As we all know skiing is 99% how good you look, I really like most of the BC lineup - genuinely think they have the best topsheets on the market and have for a while.

    My daily is a 189 Atris, and as mentioned in the gear tech thread I do wish it engaged/released a little earlier, and handled the rough a little better. I'm going to take SVT Joeys address and try what he did with the bevel and see if that helps. My powder skis are/were 188 Noctas from 2015 but my brother stole those and took them to NZ and never came back, so I do need to replace them with something. Was really leaning towards the anima or the nocta again.

    I picked up some 184 Captis on sale a month ago, so I'm going to mount some pivots on those and stick to the frontside with my wife and see how they go. Excited to try a narrower ski from BC.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    With so many interesting options in the Crows line-up, an increasing presence in the ski world, and, more importantly, I see more talk about them on here as well, isn’t it about time for a Black Crows thread? I think it does. So here it goes.

    I had my first Black Crows experience back in 2012/13 when I picked up a used pair of Sevun II. Such a wonderful locomotive! That was shortly followed with a pair of first year Camox Freebird (177) with Verticals and later the first year regular 186 Camox (which was by some, considered to be a mini Sevun) with alpine binders. In the ever quest for the ultimate ski(-s), one by one they all got replaced for various reasons. I guess the idea of building a quiver had not really settled with me back then… However, in general I liked them all, and have since kept a keen eye on Crows. I have also been close of getting Corvuses from those days and onwards, but it has yet to happen. TBH, now, I’m curious about getting on a pair of the OG shape (like 2008-2012) 196 Corvus, just to find out what launched the brand.

    Last year I snagged a pair of the updated 189 Animas, and I really clicked with them. I tend to ski pretty centered and they did everything I wanted them to, and they kept me smiling in just about any condition. Just recently, I picked up a pair of discounted 183 Justis, hoping that they’ll be the stout all mountain

    Speaking about Justis, kicking off the thread with a question to the board. I have seen some (negative) views on them having too long rocker/too much tip splay. Can’t really imagine that on my pair. It seems that they all have been on the 189’s. Have anybody had 183’s and 189’s side by side for profile comparisons?
    i had 189s and sold them. They felt planky for the amount of rocker and the amount of rocker wouldn’t let them ever run flat so for their length they had a very low comfortable top speed. They liked to turn though and loved variable snow. I never put them in the woods or bumps as I didn’t like them enough and was selling them in my head after the first hour of riding them.


    I love my Corvus. My quiver is a Corvus 189, Atris 184, Nocta 190, Corvus FB 183 with kings and a Ferox 181 with alpinists.

    I’ve had a nocta 185, Navis 186, camox 181, serpo 180, Corvus FB 176 and 188, Justis 189, Corvus 183. And an anima in a 182 and 189.

    im really interested to hear about the captis. I have been tempted. It reminds me a lot of a more progressive rustler 9 which I love to ski.
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 06-10-2022 at 06:26 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,270
    Was thinking about this last night as the Rumors thread had devolved into a blackcrows chat. Good call on the thread. There were some old ones, but the general sway of those is not as relevant now.

    We're at 9 pair in our house. Atris 189 and Camox 186 are my DD's. Orb FB is my current "touring" (mostly resort skinning while raising toddlers) ski, and with regard to a narrow ski I've loved it.

    The last few day's insights on that other thread have me intrigued on the tweaks to the "new" Atris. I've liked both my 2018 Atris and 21/22 Camox and it sounds like the new Atris is moving a smidge towards some of my more-liked attributes on the Camox. My current Atris is pretty shot, so maybe Santa can deliver next year?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,820
    I have Camox freebird with vipec in 183 which is stupid light for spring and early season touring.

    Got a 183 corvus with new wardens as one of my first Utah local Tgr deals. They looked new and bsl worked for $200.

    Never could get new school nocta to work. Had 185 and 190 on the line and it was always rocking chair.

    But I live Camox for touring and corvus for groomers. Great all mountain and always get asked what I think.

    Love the euro brands and have whitedot redeemer also.




    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Been wondering if there was already a crows thread!
    there kinda is

    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i had 189s and sold them. They felt planky for the amount of rocker and the amount of rocker wouldn’t let them ever run flat so for their length they had a very low comfortable top speed. They liked to turn though and loved variable snow. I never put them in the woods or bumps as I didn’t like them enough and was selling them in my head after the first hour of riding them.
    ah, thanks for those words of wisdom - now I do not have to buy a pair. I am ebyond happy with my MF118s thoughh, so it is not like I need another ski in that segment, but the sale time of year - aka now - is kinda dreadful for impulse quiver add ons. Now I just have to resist getting some Noctas...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,270
    From Rumors thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I found the tune on my Atris to be lacking from the factory. I put a 3/.75 on them and that made them engage and release better I thought. But I have found the same thing with inconsistent snow. I equate it to lacking metal. I don’t ski my Atris in January or most of February on the east coast unless we are getting snow. Otherwise I’m on my Corvus. It handles inconsistent snow a lot better. I have found the Atris to shine in March when the snow is soft, but first thing in the morning when it’s still set up from the night before it makes you wish for something stiffer. I could see the Atris being a great 1 ski quiver for someone that gets to ski packed powder and minimal actual hard ice.
    Agreed, without much metal I think that snow conditions are huge for the Atris, along with rider weight. As I've said before, I have 6+ ski partners who all love the Atris and have skied it for years as their DD. No complaints. In my case I'm 165-170lbs and I ski predominantly soft snow, even on the "hard" days here in the Rockies. The Atris can't truly charge, but for me and my usual conditions and can be pushed sufficiently in almost any situation. It's not a perfect ski for me, but fun, super versatile and good enough. I'm sure if I could leave my fanboi choices behind, there is a better ski for me out there.

    I could imagine that for firmer East Coast conditions or even heavier West Coast days the ski simply wouldn't rise to the occasion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    972
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i had 189s and sold them. They felt planky for the amount of rocker and the amount of rocker wouldn’t let them ever run flat so for their length they had a very low comfortable top speed. They liked to turn though and loved variable snow. I never put them in the woods or bumps as I didn’t like them enough and was selling them in my head after the first hour of riding them.


    I love my Corvus. My quiver is a Corvus 189, Atris 184, Nocta 190, Corvus FB 183 with kings and a Ferox 181 with alpinists.

    I’ve had a nocta 185, Navis 186, camox 181, serpo 180, Corvus FB 176 and 188, Corvus 183. And an anima in a 181 and 189.

    im really interested to hear about the captis. I have been tempted. It reminds me a lot of a more progressive rustler 9 which I love to ski.
    Care to compare the noctas and the animas? Looking at both these skis for the fat end of a 2 ski quiver. Animas are more versatile but I noticed you got rid of them? I had the old nocta with camber but I assume the current nocta is a different ski

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    754
    I'm a crows skeptic. Have a pair of Atris i love, but really didn't like a pair of navis free birds i skied for a couple seasons

    Great marketing, though.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i had 189s and sold them. They felt planky for the amount of rocker and the amount of rocker wouldn’t let them ever run flat so for their length they had a very low comfortable top speed. They liked to turn though and loved variable snow. I never put them in the woods or bumps as I didn’t like them enough and was selling them in my head after the first hour of riding them.
    This is in line with what I've seen from others on 189's. Did you get to compare them to 183's?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,006
    I have some 188 Corvus I might sell if anyone is interested. I like them and I'm in no rush to unload, but I just don't ride lifts much unless I'm with kids or it's a midweek powder day. Don't think I even skied them this year.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,744
    i went through the Blister review of the current Anima earlier today, and it seems like it can be summed up in "meh".

    This also kinda made me lol:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-06-10 kl. 20.08.36.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	418543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-06-10 kl. 20.20.48.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	976.1 KB 
ID:	418544
    (aka Turdell is still skiing the old version (picture 1 last season, pic 2 this season), just with the updated graphics)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    i went through the Blister review of the current Anima earlier today, and it seems like it can be summed up in "meh".

    This also kinda made me lol:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-06-10 kl. 20.08.36.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	418543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2022-06-10 kl. 20.20.48.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	976.1 KB 
ID:	418544
    (aka Turdell is still skiing the old version (picture 1 last season, pic 2 this season), just with the updated graphics)

    Pretty sure he's on the new one. And won the FWT with it the year before last
    But maybe I'm wrong

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,744
    it could be, but look at the tail shape:
    Name:  black-crows-anima-skis-2022-.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  54.7 KBName:  clone.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  65.0 KB
    They are kinda distinct.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    ah, thanks for those words of wisdom - now I do not have to buy a pair. I am ebyond happy with my MF118s thoughh, so it is not like I need another ski in that segment, but the sale time of year - aka now - is kinda dreadful for impulse quiver add ons. Now I just have to resist getting some Noctas...
    Can't really see why you would put the MF118 against the 100 mm uf Justis. That's a bit like comparing apples and potatoes...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,465
    I had the first version anima in 189 or 188 or what ever it was. It was terrible unless you were moving fairly quick, otherwise the ski was dead. It also didn’t handle chop well. It was more torsionally stiff then the nocta due to the camber, so it handled harder snow a little better then the nocta does. I had the 182 from this year and it’s now sitting in my dads office at the mountain. The 182 is more accessible for east coast and skis untracked well. Still leaves a lot to be desired when the snow gets chopped up, but it does ski trees well in packed pow. It is also better at slower speeds then the original.

    if I was going to choose between a nocta and a anima, I would pick a nocta. It does deep snow better and is more fun in the trees and bumps because it’s looser. I think the Atris does a ton of the same as the anima, and it does it better. I ski the nocta a lot for the morning and then take out the Atris in the afternoon. Touring is also more fun on the nocta then the anima.

    the anima is missing metal. If they didn’t change the shape and just added a sheet of metal, they would have a serious winner.

    Turdell is skiing the newest anima in both of those pics, just the 21/22 topsheet and then the 22/23 topsheet. He designed the newest version with Julien. But then again Kid makes a strong point. I just know Turdell loves the anima

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,744
    man, you are killing it with the insight here Joey - thanks!

    Re the Turdimagate - I have no idea. I do not see why he would be skiing a ski with the old tail shape that is labeled as being a 188 ski with the new graphics if he was on the new design, but then again it could just be an easter egg to see if anybody online noticed.

    Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Can't really see why you would put the MF118 against the 100 mm uf Justis. That's a bit like comparing apples and potatoes...
    I thought he was talking about the 189 Anima in the quoted paragraph (as I was looking for beta on it, not the justis). SoVT did not list the 189 justis as one of the skis that he has cycled through, so again - I thought he was referring to the Anima. My bad if I misunderstood.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 06-11-2022 at 04:35 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    man, you are killing it with the insight here Joey - thanks!

    Re the Turdimagate - I have no idea. I do not see why he would be skiing a ski with the old tail shape that is labeled as being a 188 ski with the new graphics if he was on the new design, but then again it could just be an easter egg to see if anybody online noticed.
    Rarely do the FWT pros ski consumer-level skis. In particular to the top names, they're always stiffer and heavier and made just for them, and that's part of why you can't stomp 30 foot cliffs like they do. Even that Scrapper 115 pro model floating around here isn't on par with the actual ski that Jeremie Heitz drops his lines on.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Danby
    Posts
    1,465
    I did forget to list the justis as a ski I had. My buddy has them now. He would most likely sell them as well if anyone is looking.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,744
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Rarely do the FWT pros ski consumer-level skis. In particular to the top names, they're always stiffer and heavier and made just for them, and that's part of why you can't stomp 30 foot cliffs like they do. Even that Scrapper 115 pro model floating around here isn't on par with the actual ski that Jeremie Heitz drops his lines on.
    yeah, fair point.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    In particular to the top names, they're always stiffer and heavier and made just for them, and that's part of why you can't stomp 30 foot cliffs like they do.
    Don't be crazy, this is Tech Talk -- it's the ONLY reason we can't stomp cliffs like they do.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,818
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I did forget to list the justis as a ski I had. My buddy has them now. He would most likely sell them as well if anyone is looking.
    One of the only Black Crows skis I never got along with.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    One of the only Black Crows skis I never got along with.
    Please add details.
    Seems Rustler-like, and I remember you like the 11.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,818
    Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Please add details.
    Seems Rustler-like, and I remember you like the 11.
    I skied the 183, I'm 5'8" 175-ish. The Justis felt tip-heavy at all but the fastest speeds (40+ mph) and there was a lag between input and turn initiation almost all the time. It had tons of edgehold but didn't actually want to arc a turn, it just stopped skidding and went straight again. No way this ski pivots when unweighted like a Rustler 11, but it's not in the same category - if there's more than 2-3 inches of fresh I'm probably taking the Rustler 11 or the Atris. Hard to imagine grabbing the Justis rather than my Stöckli Stormrider 95 or Bonafide 97 under any circumstances.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I skied the 183, I'm 5'8" 175-ish. The Justis felt tip-heavy at all but the fastest speeds (40+ mph) and there was a lag between input and turn initiation almost all the time. It had tons of edgehold but didn't actually want to arc a turn, it just stopped skidding and went straight again. No way this ski pivots when unweighted like a Rustler 11, but it's not in the same category - if there's more than 2-3 inches of fresh I'm probably taking the Rustler 11 or the Atris. Hard to imagine grabbing the Justis rather than my Stöckli Stormrider 95 or Bonafide 97 under any circumstances.
    I will keep this in mind when getting mine on snow..! At 5'10'' 190-ish I' m crossing fingers I won't meet the same experience. Thanks Greg for your input though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •