Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    What in the construction is lacking would you say?

i would like the anima to have a piece of metal in it. I noticed torsionally it was weak with that much width in the shovel. It also is very soft snow specific compared to narrower models that can hand scrapped off snow in the afternoon. They ski great in deep stuff as waxoff said, but they get pushed and as long as the snow is light and fluffy they will do fine in chop. But is there is any density to the snow and a little hard pan showing, they become less then enjoyable. I just found my Atris to handle variable better then the anima.

1 piece of metal. Not two. 1 piece. Just a little bit more stiffness in the shovel, then I’m right on board with waxoff.

I also think I pushed the anima out of what I use by owning the Nocta, Corvus, and Atris. The anima tries to cover a lot of bases but falls a little short and drives me to just running two different skis some days.

Just mentioning how much I've enjoyed skiing my Corvus - so much so that I have sold my Atris. Loving the mix of stable/damp and ease of pivot. I used to prefer the Atris (probably because it is easier and more intuitive to ski), but yeah, the Corvus is a really underrated ski for directional charging with a twist.

I've even got inserts in mine...touring with them and Tectons is a total blast (and only a tad heavier than the Freebird construction).

Edit - On the Anima, I skied it ages ago, and it has undergone plenty of design and shape changes over its life. Can't see why I'd buy an Anima as long as the Rustler 11 stays golden.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Nothing is lacking, but then again there is more often than not seemingly little in BC's construction (across the range) that justifies a high price tag - other than the marketing (and brand positioning in a more exclusice segment) that is.

In my neck of the woods in Scandiland their pricing is just rediculous imho - though when I compare the price on Sport Bittl/Conrad to here I see now that that is probably "just" a greedy importer/distributor - adding cost and no extra value. Huzzah.

I know value is a subjective proposition, but to me BC skis seem over priced for what they deliver from a construction point of view alone, if perhaps not from a shape perspective. I am sure that they are great skis for the most part, and not "just" decent skis backed by great marketing - but their pricing have kept me off them this summer

And am also I happy to hear that you like your Animas. Again, I would love to try a pair, as well as Noctas, the new Atris, Navis/Corvus freebird - the list goes on, they do make a lot of interesting skis
    Well everybody is entitled to an opinion, I give you that. But when dude ask; anybody loves these? You jump in like, nah, nobody loved them unless they are paid to. I mean c'mon, question regarded the Animas, which you haven't even tried. Did you ever contemplate just shutting tfu?

I’m just stopping by to agree on the price thing - if you’re paying full price for skis aren’t you a jerry?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    i would like the anima to have a piece of metal in it. I noticed torsionally it was weak with that much width in the shovel. It also is very soft snow specific compared to narrower models that can hand scrapped off snow in the afternoon. They ski great in deep stuff as waxoff said, but they get pushed and as long as the snow is light and fluffy they will do fine in chop. But is there is any density to the snow and a little hard pan showing, they become less then enjoyable. I just found my Atris to handle variable better then the anima.

1 piece of metal. Not two. 1 piece. Just a little bit more stiffness in the shovel, then I’m right on board with waxoff.

I also think I pushed the anima out of what I use by owning the Nocta, Corvus, and Atris. The anima tries to cover a lot of bases but falls a little short and drives me to just running two different skis some days.
    You might be on to something with the torsional properties at least for yer sake, for me, I dunno. I love skis with a backbone, og cochise, bodacious, LPR105, FIS SL's etc. and whatnot, and rarely have problems bending them on high angles. Knowing Animas are no chargers per se, I never found them lacking in rigidity (for what they are) like you describe. As mentioned in OP, I tend to (or try to) ski pretty centered, are you more of a tip driver?

The Black Crows thread

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    Just mentioning how much I've enjoyed skiing my Corvus - so much so that I have sold my Atris. Loving the mix of stable/damp and ease of pivot. I used to prefer the Atris (probably because it is easier and more intuitive to ski), but yeah, the Corvus is a really underrated ski for directional charging with a twist.
    I have the Corvus & love it, but can also see space to also pick up the atris at some point…it just intrigues me: the differential

Gonna have to see if i can get on some this season

You might be on to something with the torsional properties at least for yer sake, for me, I dunno. I love skis with a backbone, og cochise, bodacious, LPR105, FIS SL's etc. and whatnot, and rarely have problems bending them on high angles. Knowing Animas are no chargers per se, I never found them lacking in rigidity (for what they are) like you describe. As mentioned in OP, I tend to (or try to) ski pretty centered, are you more of a tip driver?

100% drive the shovel. My dad that skis centered loves them. They just fold up for me sometimes. I definitely would own a pair if I was skiing big mtn back country all the time and toured on them with a burly tech binding. Would probably be the perfect set up.

hm, interesting - according to Soothski the Anima and M Free 118 are very similar wrt both torsional and longitudinal stiffness. Their shapes are not terribly dissimilar, the biggest difference being the length of the sidecut / effective edge / taper lines.

As such, the torsional stiffness / deflection comments make a ton of sense. MF118s get the same in reviews, so it makes sense that the Anima with its widest points being further out get more of the same. Wide shovels and tails, nice weight, but still torsional compliance ( a necessity to make them managable imho, if they were a lot stiffer they would be a lot of ski in all but the lightest snow). Interesting finds imho.

Then again, the data kinda reinforces my assessment: why get the anima if you get the mfree118 that is equally / similarly potent due to over all shape and weight, but still looser? Preference I guess.

The aforementioned Koala119 is a lot stiffer than either. I am somewhat perplexed by the Koala line as a concept - why introduce progressive skis when they are so stiff that most normal skiers will have to work hard to get the best out of them? Why not just introduce something slightly more approachable to the masses? They are supposed to be a volume model no? Nice for those who are able to ski them like they want to be skied though.

Kid-kapow, I know you have some experience with SGN skis. Would you say the normal Rakkar is most similar to the Atris with regards to the BC line-up? On paper, they appear similar other than the slightly larger turning radius of the Atris. Be interested to get your take. Which other skis would you compare the normal Rakkar to?

I blame this thread for me ordering a pair of BC Corvus today. Last year model but a super solid deal I couldn’t pass! Now to find some purple Pivots….

Also have a pair of BC Camox so I’m already in the flock!

I don’t get the price/value issue. The BC’s I’ve had (Corvus, Nocta, Daemon, Serpo) cost about as much as any other reasonable value ski. It’s not like they cost the same as Stocklis.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Does anyone love the anima? The numbers/design make it look just awesome…but haven’t heard much from TGR…
    100% drive the shovel. My dad that skis centered loves them. They just fold up for me sometimes. I definitely would own a pair if I was skiing big mtn back country all the time and toured on them with a burly tech binding. Would probably be the perfect set up.
    SC, Maybe you already picked it up and I'm pointing out the obvious, but chances to like them seems to be much higher if you ski centered than if you drive the shovels. So in which camp do you place yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I don’t get the price/value issue. The BC’s I’ve had (Corvus, Nocta, Daemon, Serpo) cost about as much as any other reasonable value ski. It’s not like they cost the same as Stocklis.

i agree. If I’m not going to buy BC, I’m going to buy blizzard or volkl, or some where in the camp of fine made skis. A couple small manufacturers come to mind as well. But they are all priced the same as BC.

theres one ski I have yet to buy solely due to price, and it’s not in the Murder. V-werks katana is a hard tag to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I blame this thread for me ordering a pair of BC Corvus today. Last year model but a super solid deal I couldn’t pass! Now to find some purple Pivots….

There are some great deals right now. I have noticed prices on left over 'Crows starting to creep back up but still good deals to be had.

its a flock of Jerry’s. It’s a Murder of Crows.

its a flock of Jerry’s. It’s a Murder of Crows.
    I’ll see myself out….

As far as the deals are concerned, corbetts still has a couple of last year models but obviously sizes are a little limited. I’m excited for the Corvus. Seems like a really solid ski!

From what I’ve seen are we basically happy with the recommend mount on these?

Powder7 has the 2020 Corvus in 176, 183, and 188 for $479.91 and thee 193 for $549.91. No need to consider yourself out with prices like that. Plus, they ship free and fast.

I’ll see myself out….

As far as the deals are concerned, corbetts still has a couple of last year models but obviously sizes are a little limited. I’m excited for the Corvus. Seems like a really solid ski!

From what I’ve seen are we basically happy with the recommend mount on these?

the Atris is really the only one people are messing with the mounts on. The Corvus is a lot of ski, for me at least. I wish I had gone +1 on my 188. My 183 I had that was mounted on the line was spot on. I thought the 188 would be just as accessible and give me a little more float and speed, wrong. It’s a little bit of a handful and doesn’t like to play as much. Nocta I would be tempted to go -1 from the line if I got a new one, but my 190 skis well on the line so it will stay there.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post

I've even got inserts in mine...touring with them and Tectons is a total blast (and only a tad heavier than the Freebird construction).

Edit - On the Anima, I skied it ages ago, and it has undergone plenty of design and shape changes over its life. Can't see why I'd buy an Anima as long as the Rustler 11 stays golden.
    Helpful. The rustler is an incredible ski that didn’t keep a spot in my quiver because of how good the deathwish tour is.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    Kid-kapow, I know you have some experience with SGN skis. Would you say the normal Rakkar is most similar to the Atris with regards to the BC line-up?
    I have never skied the Rakkar, even though it is one of the more common skis where I live. People seem to like them. There is a seperate thread on SGN on here - perhaps somebody there have skied them. And yeah, it is def in the same segment / a similar ski to the out going Atris (in the 185cm length at least).

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Sorry - I should have been clearer. The pricing for a lot of BC skis are 10-20% higher here in Norway compared to in the EU. While the 25% level of VAT here vs 19% VAT in the EU explains some of that difference in pricing, the more likely culprit is price gouging - either by a distributor/importer or BC themselves. I've also talked to shops who are finding BC notoriously French in their approach to business - aka a pain in the ass to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Powder7 has the 2020 Corvus in 176, 183, and 188 for $479.91 and thee 193 for $549.91. No need to consider yourself out with prices like that. Plus, they ship free and fast.
    FWIW Sierra has one pair of Corvus 193's for $450 w/ free shipping.

https://www.sierra.com/black-crows-c...skis~d~9694%2F

Yep I was able to score my Corvus for just over $600 Canadian shipped which I’m very happy with.

Yep I was able to score my Corvus for just over $600 Canadian shipped which I’m very happy with.

Yeah I've gotten every single pair of mine (Atris, Captis, Captis Birdie ((Wife)), Corvus Freebird) for that or under. Mostly under. I would be interested in trying the corvus and camox if I find a demo around whatever hill I'm on. But for now I'll just stick with my freebirds.

Welcome to the Murder....

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Welcome to the Murder....
    Appreciate it. Do we have stickers?? Handshakes?