Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    196 4frnt Renegades were selling for bacon a couple years back when I was paying more attention. The OG of the side cut matching the radius design as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    my only confusion arises from the fact you haven’t gotten on a Corvus….. unless you have and didn’t disclose it, for some reason I think you might like that for a low tide daily driver. A 183 skis true to length, the 188 is a little more of a handful but rips. I may have just pre-ordered a new 188 last night…..
    yeah, they could be worthy of a try, but I generally try to look for something slightly more playful in this segment. I have aspirations to learn to ski switch / do some tricks, but somehow always end up on stiff skis that make me afraid to try old man park skiing

Then again I just got some Faction Dancer 3s today. No, it is not a super charger, but the shape and construction seems like fun - time will tell. I got them at > 50% off, so with them returning unchanged (including graphic) for 23/24 it seemed like a no brainer from a catch and release point of view - meaning, giving them a try.

Their shape is a little bit like the Atris, but less tip to tail taper (narrower tips, but wider tails), slightly longer cambered section in the tips ahead of the bindings / longer ee, and obviously quite a bit beefier flex wise. Their mount point is a tad bit further back than the Atris as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    196 4frnt Renegades were selling for bacon a couple years back when I was paying more attention. The OG of the side cut matching the radius design as far as I know.
    id be more tempted to buy a heritage labs 200 then a renegade so there are options but I would rather a nocta.

If anyone sees some navis freebirds or camox freebird on sale lmk. I need to snag something for the wife to start touring on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    If anyone sees some navis freebirds or camox freebird on sale lmk. I need to snag something for the wife to start touring on.
    Decent price from Powder7 for the Camox FB all sizes for $499 - https://www.powder7.com/Black-Crows-...-New-Flat-2022

Navis FB barely gets under $600 right now but this is a decent deal for 169’s: https://www.geartrade.com/item/88428...s-freebird-169

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Decent price from Powder7 for the Camox FB all sizes for $499 - https://www.powder7.com/Black-Crows-...-New-Flat-2022

Navis FB barely gets under $600 right now but this is a decent deal for 169’s: https://www.geartrade.com/item/88428...s-freebird-169
    Dang, just waiting for my geartrade account to get signed off on and then I'll see if I can snag those. Cheers!

Got them for $200. BEAUTY!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    Got them for $200. BEAUTY!
    Yeah bud!

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    I have a pair of new 185 noctas with cast if anyone wants em pm me

Attachment 451552

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I like the ones on the right.

Re the Corvus, I had been contemplating getting a pair for a long time. After buying a pair of 194 Animas last year and loving them, I decided that a Corvus had a place in the quiver. I had the option of 193, 188 or 183 at the time, but being 6'3" and 195lbs, I generally like longer skis which is why I got the Anima in a 194 and it proved to be perfect, so I got the 193 Corvus. Not being a twin tip and having only a little tail rocker and fairly stiff tails, it's a lot of ski, much more than the Anima. I'm wondering if I just went too long with this ski or if it's just the nature of the ski in general. Would I have been better off with a shorter length, or would that not make much difference? I'm wondering if anyone who has experience with different lengths in the Corvus could advise.
    Last edited by Wetdog; 06-18-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Im 5'-7" 180# and I have the 183. The Corvus is designed to be a hard charger if that's what you want to do. Its design and lay up make it a ski that can do quite few things well but not all things perfectly. I would think if you liked the Anima at 194 you would like the Corvus at 193. I came from the OG Corvus and that ski was a handful but I really liked it and when I went to the flat Corvus I was surprised at how short it skied compared to the OG. They are essentially two completely different skis. Try the 193 Im sure you will become friends with it. I tried the 188 and liked it but thought the 183 was more practical for trees and just cruising around. If you have any doubts about the 193 just push on them a little harder until you find what the ski likes.

The Black Crows thread

I’m not a big guy but ski longer skis to compensate for my tiny wiener, and the 193 just felt like too much ski for me. I do think that part of that is just the forward mount point, and if you’re struggling to manage them going 2-3cm back might bring a few more smiles. I’m currently on a 188 as DD, mounted back 2cm, and really like them.
    focus.

I’m 5’9” / 145 & prefer the 188 Corvus. Joey loves the 183 & is a stronger skier than I. The difference is that he’s often in the trees and I’m more wide open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADF3BFAD-F799-441D-8E61-26D8A3C29CD8.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	543.7 KB 
ID:	462387

With Dan Egan in Switzerland

IDK why da fuq that’s upside down.

I got another 188 on the way for this fall, I shy away from the 193 as the demand for a good pilot is highly necessary on the 188 as it is. I’m mounting the new 188 at +1. My current 188 is on the line and some times feels like a bit too much out front and the tails never have a problem breaking free. And I’m like 5’11 and 195 for reference in size.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    IDK why da fuq that’s upside down.
    nice
    Name:  ADF3BFAD-F799-441D-8E61-26D8A3C29CD8.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  269.8 KB
    The trick is to slightly crop / edit the picture before uploading so that the invert/put on the side magic does not transpire

I got another 188 on the way for this fall, I shy away from the 193 as the demand for a good pilot is highly necessary on the 188 as it is. I’m mounting the new 188 at +1. My current 188 is on the line and some times feels like a bit too much out front and the tails never have a problem breaking free. And I’m like 5’11 and 195 for reference in size.
    So I'm 6'3, 205 lbs and a mediocre skier at best. Got the 193's to semi-retire my Stormrider 110tt's and really struggled at first - they were unpredictable in all conditions. With some desperation I retuned the base angles to 1/2 and now they're rock solid. They're great in shin deep powder, cut through crud, love to bop around in side pow, great on groomers, just a really good resort ski for me. I'm sure they wouldn't be fun in trees or bumps but I suck in those areas and stay away from that shit.

If you are 6'3"-205 you should get those bitches into the trees. You have the frame size to drive them. Do it.

Although I am sure there is a bit of a difference between the 183 and the 193......you should try it. You might be surprised.

I guess I get confused when people say they are mediocre but insist on skiing the longest length of ski available. If your ski limits where you can ski, it’s the wrong ski and length for all mtn. I can get on a 193 and make it my bitch, I could ski anything but I would be working harder to not get any direct benefit other then maybe a higher top end. If I was in Europe or Alaska and skiing big open faces all the time the 193 would be the best length. But I’m not, and the amount of skier traffic on US mtns is the other part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    If you are 6'3"-205 you should get those bitches into the trees. You have the frame size to drive them. Do it.

no, first downsize then get better, then learn to ski well, then ski trees and moguls, then advance, then get longer skis if so desired.

Has anyone here toured with the regular Corvus? If so, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    Has anyone here toured with the regular Corvus? If so, thoughts?

yes. I had kingpins on my original 183 after I took off the alpine clamps for a new Corvus. It was good, but a little heavy. If I was looking for the same shape and flat goodness, I’d just buy a v werks katana.

Ok got it. I have a pair of the 176s which are not all that heavy (I'm on the short side), especially if paired with light clamps. Been debating if I should use it as a backcountry tool, particularly on crappy/variable snow days as I imagine those will be far stouter than the sub-1500g semi-fat touring skis out there.

yes. I had kingpins on my original 183 after I took off the alpine clamps for a new Corvus. It was good, but a little heavy. If I was looking for the same shape and flat goodness, I’d just buy a v werks katana.