Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    What's the Ferox review? Looking first touring ski for the Wasatch.
    You've probably seen this already, but if not - Ferox-part starts at 15:09:

My understanding is that they prefer shorter turns and that most reviews are more meh than great. I think there was a pretty good review of it earlier in this thread, or was it in another thread? Can't remember - sorry.

As for Nocta v2s, yes they look pretty nice with Harlauts:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2023-03-19 kl. 16.42.59.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	452577
    I should have brought them to the slush party I skied today - they would have been perfect

And yes; Paul Forward's / Blister's review of the new Nocta is live.

That looks pretty tight with the Harlauts. I just picked up a pair of 22/23 Nocta 185.5 and I'll mount them with P 15s or 18s. It'll be a great set up but not as tight as what you posted above.

Does anybody tour with the Nocta? If so what bindings etc...

I have mine mounted with Plum Yaks for a hybrid setup. If looking for a lighter, touring only setup, could consider Plum Oazos (some comments about this in the Plum binding chat).

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Does anybody tour with the Nocta? If so what bindings etc...

I was thinking of a CAST system as my touring days might be well behind me but would like the flexibility being able to use it to get a little further out. Im not planning on using these this year so I have time to think about it.

I run a duke pt on nocta. Been considering getting another and using my Yaks from my Ferox on another nocta. I like my ferox a lot. It’s about the same quickness as my nocta but doesn’t float as well

Selling my new 188 Corvus in geartrade. Just going to stick with the Atris for now!

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    Selling my new 188 Corvus in geartrade. Just going to stick with the Atris for now!
    I've been beating my atris to shit in every condition possible.................and I love it. Like, really love it. It COULD be better in crunchy pow and chop but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
    I've been beating my atris to shit in every condition possible.................and I love it. Like, really love it. It COULD be better in crunchy pow and chop but that's about it.
    My exact feelings

Had the Nocta v2s out today at the Bird after 15in overnight and 5in during the day. Absolute monsters in the pow. Turns, pivots, pops, slashes, slarves, etc, it does whatever you want it to do. Magnificent!

I originally gave up on my 184 Atris (current gen) after skiing them on the line (175cm/70kg/pretty upright stance). They just felt off there, sluggish on piste, and like the tails and shovels and flex pattern worked against each other in soft snow. I have since tried to sell them, but I only received offers at 1/3 of retail for mint skis with one set of holes. So no bueno -> I decided to remount them at +1.

And my oh my, that made for a huge difference.

All of sudden the ski worked for my skiing style. They feel balanced front to rear - aka the shovels and tails work in tandem not against each other, both on and off piste.

They snow was not great today - think sun affected snow, fresh covering severely hard skied out snow, and groomers that were not groomed to perfection. So it is not "just" the conditions that all of a sudden make the difference, the remount is the main driver.

I still need to dial in the edges / detuning to get them just where I want them to be ( a tad bit looser), but so far so good. They are no longer for sale

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I originally gave up on my 184 Atris (current gen) after skiing them on the line (175cm/70kg/pretty upright stance). They just felt off there, sluggish on piste, and like the tails and shovels and flex pattern worked against each other in soft snow. I have since tried to sell them, but I only received offers at 1/3 of retail for mint skis with one set of holes. So no bueno -> I decided to remount them at +1.

And my oh my, that made for a huge difference.

All of sudden the ski worked for my skiing style. They feel balanced front to rear - aka the shovels and tails work in tandem not against each other, both on and off piste.

They snow was not great today - think sun affected snow, fresh covering severely hard skied out snow, and groomers that were not groomed to perfection. So it is not "just" the conditions that all of a sudden make the difference, the remount is the main driver.

I still need to dial in the edges / detuning to get them just where I want them to be ( a tad bit looser), but so far so good. They are no longer for sale

Kid what’s your boot size, is that transferring into your original problem you had? It almost seems like black crows are kinda like the hoji line and they are very different feeling for different boot sizes on the line but once you hoji (Marshal) the mount point they come alive. I wonder if that’s why reactions are so all over the board with their skis.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Kid what’s your boot size, is that transferring into your original problem you had?
    yeah, that could very well be - 25.5, so pretty small.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230220_3440946.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	331.7 KB 
ID:	454091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230220_3440944.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	341.2 KB 
ID:	454092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230220_3440942.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	454093

Quote Originally Posted by yiu-han
    pics
    Thanks for posting those

As mentioned before Schirmer mounts his Dracos at -1, so -6

Seems weird there is a 500 gram difference between a 5 cm length?

Also interesting the Solis drops 300g

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Seems weird there is a 500 gram difference between a 5 cm length?
    hm, it was quoted at 1900gr upthread, which makes more sense than the 2050 listed in the catalogue.

And man, skiing ON3Ps have made me spoiled wrt base thoughness. The Atris' base is not as sturdy as a regular ON3P base. I discovered a little wound yesterday, and I have no idea what I even hit - whereas ON3Ps typically take abuse where you think there surely is a core shot only for there to be hardly a mark.

Wrong thread lol
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 04-03-2023 at 09:26 AM.

I don’t know the black crows lineup, but these Black Crows Sevun 191 with Salomon demo bindings for $140 look like a good deal. Happy to help with shipping if needed.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-665d8528d98f

^^^Vintage Crows, but man, those skis truck!

Quick question for the owners of the 22/23 Nocta. What the fuck do they mean about stop making banana bread? I wish they had written that in French instead of English.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    Quick question for the owners of the 22/23 Nocta. What the fuck do they mean about stop making banana bread? I wish they had written that in French instead of English.
    Maybe full rocker? Rocker = Banana

Some more thoughts on 22/23 Atris 184.3s mounted at +1. Ridden across a bunch of conditions, in different resorts and even went touring with them one day (cast+xt3 130LVs).

They have often ben used back to back with DPS Koala 103s. I'm 70kg/175 - enthustiastic, but with ski technique any trainer would probably get a nervous breakdown from looking at in slow mo.

Overall: they are pretty fun in most conditions and a good candidate for a quiver of one if you accept that they will not be able to hatefuck anything.

One def notices that they are a bit on the soft and light side of things - meaning you can feel the ski flexing differently based on your stance with a stiffer section mid ski. The flex pattern feels pretty balanced at +1 though and felt way off at recommended imho.

They do most things well imho, but lack the weight and stiffness to excel at deep, tracked out slush/corn and are not super duper stable at mach schnell on steep groomers. Other than that they are enjoyable on groomers at everything from low to pretty high speeds. They are very easy to ski in soft snow and do nothing weird even in weird snow.

They would probably be spectacular if made slightly stiffer and a couple of hundred grams heavier, though their shape with a flatter, not terribly tapered tail and longish effective edge could make them a lot less accesible to less proficient skiers if made stiffer/heavier.

All in all, I would prefer a ski that is halfway between the Koala103 (a lot stiffer and more progressive mount, but lacks suspension / too stiff+light for heavily tracked out snow) and the current Atris. I would still prefer the Atris of the two though - I think - a tad too soft is more versatile than a tad too stiff in this class of ski imho, even if k103s are great as well. I've not skied them back to back in dry snow, but I suspect the stiffer flexed k103 would beat the Atris in that kind of snow - k103s are great in dry snow for a 103mm ski.

Good write up, Kid. One thing I like about the Corvus vs the Atris is the ability to go from general blasting around to full on hate fuck. I think you have coined a term that should be in the skiing vocabulary/dictionary. Well done.